Saiga S308

DFM56

You can also try ShapeWays for small prototype batches. The strong white and alumide (Strong White is flexible plastic and is very strong while alumide is less durable, but resists heat well) and are relatively cheap. The steel is strong, but expensive. Good for real steel, but maybe a little pricey for airsoft.

I'm not sure if printed material would be capable of supporting the stress on the stock of an AEG very well, but I've been looking for something like this for other projects. Thanks!

That actually looks pretty good! Is a gearbox still going to fit in there with the adapter you made?

It will when it's done, the body wouldn't be very useful if it didn't ;)

EDIT: Mag shell just got here. I don't think I'll be able to fit the G&P internals into it like I thought since 30 round 5.45 mags are longer than the 20 round 7.62x51 mags. The only cure is more cowbell TM shotshells or MP5K mags like these;

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_112_277&products_id=5685

I'm not sure if printed material would be capable of supporting the stress on the stock of an AEG very well, but I've been looking for something like this for other projects. Thanks!

The Strong-White at that site is logic defying in strength and oddly flexable. I have actually used it to make a motor grip adapter and a custom rail mounted hand break. The only thing is the coloring is not tactical, but it is plenty strong.

It will when it's done, the body wouldn't be very useful if it didn't ;)

EDIT: Mag shell just got here. I don't think I'll be able to fit the G&P internals into it like I thought since 30 round 5.45 mags are longer than the 20 round 7.62x51 mags. The only cure is more cowbell TM shotshells or MP5K mags like these;

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=60_112_277&products_id=5685

hahaha, that's what I figured but I didn't know if you wanted to go crazy with this and try and GBB it. ;)

Also, what about something like this: http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56_432&products_id=25402]Clicky![/url]

and didn't some company make a shorty SVD mag that fits in normal AEG AKs?

saiga002-3.jpg

Mocked up right now, dust cover is with the welder for the weekend and I should have the adapter done Sunday. Hopefully I'll have a chance to open up the magwell to fit the .308 mags soon. I also found a spare midcap that I might be able to fit in the shell if I cut it up enough.

Awesome project mate - you seem to be flying through it atm. I think its the first time I have found the UBR type stock attractive on any gun, especially since the receiver slope has been compensated for.

(P.s. I was LMAO at the cowbell reference, good times).

Thanks, I'm really happy with how this is turning out.

The Strong-White at that site is logic defying in strength and oddly flexable. I have actually used it to make a motor grip adapter and a custom rail mounted hand break. The only thing is the coloring is not tactical, but it is plenty strong.

If someone wants to try one of these in printed material, I'll have the prints up in a few weeks, someone just needs to make a model in Sketchup or something. Assuming it holds up, it might be a pretty economical solution. One concern will be the threads. It would probably be best to have steel inserts, although I'm not sure if 4 inserts will fit at the back of the adapter. I'm using 4 screws to take the stress of the folding mech when I should only need two. Most of the Ace stocks can only take 2 screws, though. I highly doubt the machine can accurately print the threads anyway.

hahaha, that's what I figured but I didn't know if you wanted to go crazy with this and try and GBB it. ;)

Also, what about something like this: Clicky"]http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_56_432&products_id=25402]Clicky![/url]

and didn't some company make a shorty SVD mag that fits in normal AEG AKs?

I have a few highcap internals already, but I would love to avoid highcaps. I might build one eventually, though.

Also, the internals will eventually be a Polarstar HPA box when they come out with an AK compatible v3.

Yeah, the detail level is probably not good enough for threading. You HAVE TO sand things to smooth them out as they are basically constructed of "pixels" of material. They fuse super strong (for at least 3 of the materials), but as you said it lacks super fine detail unless you make a REALLY detailed CAD/3D model...then the cost skyrockets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived