Saiga S308

DFM56

A friend was selling some CYMA externals for a good price, so naturally I had to buy them for a project. I was originally thinking of doing this with the externals from my CYMA RPK, but I would have to make too many modifications that I wouldn't be able to reverse.

Anyway, I've been wanting a nice DMR for a little while now, and I love the look of some of the converted Saiga .308 rifles I've seen, so I figured I would base my DMR off of those. I just got the handguards and gas tube on and removed the stock tang from the receiver. The UBR is just sitting there for now, but I have some plans drawn up for an adapter that will replace the stock tang and allow the addition of any stock/etc.. that will fit on the Ace receiver block. I'll be using this one since it's the only thing that doesn't make the UBR look completely daffy.

saiga008.jpg

This is my initial design for the internal block. It will completely replace the stock tang and be attached via screws (imagine that the holes in the side are threaded, way too lazy to get into that in 3dsmax).

internalblock.jpg

Mags will probably be G&P internals stuffed into Uinta mag bodies.

I'm still trying to decide what I want for irons and optics. The rear sight block is in rough shape and won't wold a rear sight for every long. I'm thinking of stealing the sights (at least the rear sight) from an mp5k and epoxying them to the gas block and dust cover. the RSB would be ground down a bit so it wouldn't look too strange without a sight in it. I really don't want the standard front sight on this, so I'll either put a front sight on the gas block or get in integrated FSGB.

For optics I'm looking at a short-dot style (probably a millet DMS) on a BP-02 with low rings, although optic money is a long way away :unsure:

Anyway, I'll update this thread as I get more done, until then feedback is always appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but the gas tube and handguard install was super easy. All I needed to do to get the gas tube on was remove the gas block, lock the gas tube into the RSB, and slide the gas block back and pin it in place. It won't come out without removing the gas block, but if I wanted to do that a decent amount of cutting would be required. The lower took about a minute with a file, then another few with a drill to the receiver so I could use the screw to attach it.

You know, as much as I hate it when people butcher AKs I'm actually excited to see where this goes.

How do you plan to work with the magwell?

Hopefully I won't need to do anything to the magwell, but I'm not sure since I don't have the real steel shells yet.

Are you planning on getting that part CnC'd or making it yourself? If CnC, do you know a good place to do it?

Cheers

I work at a CNC shop, when I get the other piece I'll have all the dimensions needed to get it made on one of the bridgeports. Since I doubt there will be that much interest (enough to warrant making a batch to sell) I might end up posting the drawings when I get around to making some with dimensions.

You'll most likely have to end up modifying the magwell but it's not that daunting of a task. Take note of the Zastava M76 modifications done over the years.

I'm going to try to do it without cutting op the receiver so I can still use it with other mags. I might be able to just kind of slip the .308 mag shells completely over the G&P mags with a little grinding and fitting, then I'll just cut the .308 shell so it's close to flush with the receiver but can still rock in.

I'll probably get them in and be completely wrong though :) If thats the case I'll be sure to see what other people have done before I cut my receiver up!

YES! i've really wanted to see a flush mounted UBR on an AK. i've always thought it'd look pretty sick.

best of luck with the project

Thanks! Check out the link I posted for the mag shells, they have a nice S308 with an UBR. I'll be using pretty much the same parts except for the MIAD.

Also, opinions on a brake or flash hider? Not sure what I want to do with it yet.

Hopefully I'll get around to filling in the dimples and making the reinforcement on the right side of the receiver after work tomorrow.

Made some progress today

saiga011.jpg

Filled in the dimples, used the original front sight in the gas block and found an old m4 flash hider.

saiga013.jpg

saiga014.jpg

ground down the rear sight block, new rear sight will be going on the dust cover. This still needs to be filled in a little and smoothed out.

saiga001.jpg

saiga002.jpg

saiga003.jpg

Added the 3rd trunnion rivet on the left side and the bulge/rivets on the right side.

I'm ordering the folding mechanism for the stock now, should have it in about a week and hopefully the new tang will be machined shortly after. The mags will be waiting for a while while I find the funds.

Also, the only other part I need is a smooth dust cover. If anyone has one that they want to trade for a ribbed dust cover (or just has one for sale) let me know.

saiga001-1.jpg

saiga003-1.jpg

saiga002-1.jpg

Smooth dust cover and G3 rear sight came in, along with the hinge block for the UBR. One of my coworkers is going to weld the g3 sight on to the cover over the weekend and I should be able to get into the shop monday night to make the adapter.

I'm very curious to see how that UBR is going to look because when I put my UBR up against the back of the gun the stock is like 1-2 cm taller than the body so it looked really out of place

Yeah, it is a bit taller then the receiver, but the hinge block has a bit of a slope that makes it look... not terrible.. The site I linked to for the mag bodies has a picture of the same setup that I'll be using but there aren't too many clear shots of it.

Speaking of the mag bodies, I just ordered one. I'm going to have a go at fitting a MIAD as well, not sure how thats going to turn out though.

After that, all thats left is filling the serial number on the dust cover and painting.

It's purty...

So much want...

Edit: This is actually a very good start, I can't wait to see the finished product. Your attention to detail is exquisite, as is your craftmanship.

Thanks guys

When I finish the tang I'll make sure the print is correct and post it. I'll try to make another print with the correct dimensions for the 6 degree angle at the back of the folding stock receiver, but I won't be able to get the correct location of the 3rd rivet hole on the print.

Unfortunately I won't be able to get any more made unless I go through the shop and have a small run made. I don't have the money to buy a run myself and hope to sell them all, so the only other way would be some form of pre-order situation if theres a lot of interest, or people just sending the prints to a shop of their choosing when I post them.

It's probably going to be a bit spendy since this isn't a part where you can just throw it in a CNC mill and let bake.. fairly labor intensive for something relatively simple.

You're best bet would be sending a print in to a local shop and getting a quote in that case, unless there are enough people interested for me to go to my boss for a quote for a run of 20 or something.

EDIT: it would also have to be one part, I can't make several models within the run. I'm thinking that full stock replacement would probably be more popular, but I'm not sure.

You can also try ShapeWays for small prototype batches. The strong white and alumide (Strong White is flexible plastic and is very strong while alumide is less durable, but resists heat well) and are relatively cheap. The steel is strong, but expensive. Good for real steel, but maybe a little pricey for airsoft.

Archived