Arid climate boots - Care and maintenance questions

TheFull9

Up until very recently, I've only ever rocked around in leather boots, it's what I'm used to and if there was one thing I got good at during training it was polishing and cleaning leather footwear. For some years I'd never considered purchasing any sort of desert oriented boots on account of the fact that they're hardly suitable for the mud and I spend a lot of my skirmish time running around in, however I borrowed a pair of the old standard issue dessie Magnums while on an exercise earlier this year during an unseasonably hot spell, and henceforth saw the light.

I picked myself up some Tac Research Khyber combat boots which are constructed of multicam cordura and tan suede, and the issue I have now is that I've no idea of the best method for cleaning them. While they are certainly far less 'wellington-boot' compared to leather and therefore a lot more comfortable in the summer months, I am still using them in Britian which means long grass, rain, dew, plant seeds/general detritus and muddy dust all getting in to the suede, whereas dirt usually just sits on the surface of leather for the most part. From what I've heard, the typical wire brushes that you'd use on suede shoes which don't see any hard use, are not a good idea, since they basically tear away the top layer of the material every time you sue them. So how should I best go about looking after my investment?

Cheers guys

Exactly as Druid states. I have Bellevilles and Altamas. Dry mud just brushes off. If there are stains then they are washed in hot water with washing up liquid and a nylon suede brush. Leave them to air dry fully, then use a brass suede brush to raise the nap and finally give them a spray of scotchguard. The Bellevilles have had this treatment at least six times and have suffered no ill effects.

Archived