Should I Paint My Pistol ? But With What ?

Auto Freak

Hi folks, I made a swap on a forum for an M109 pistol ( basically an M9 with a rail and an AUTO feature :cool: ) I love it ! Used it yesterday on its first skirmish and it kicked azz :P

Me being me... I am never happy with something just being stock so I have taken off the barrel, trigger, mag release button, trigger slide lever, and slide release lever to remove the paint and polish it up using wet & dry and using a metal buff to get a mirror finish :comeandge

i have also ordered new grips from the US which look very nice ( only £16 too )

I know, I know...... im getting to the main question now :P

The pistol at the minute is gun metal grey and as nice as it is, I think it would look farrrrrrr better in black.

I have done a search and found a few threads on plastic painting ( forgot to add that the M190 it is a metal pistol ) but I would assume that differant paint would be used.

Would it be better to paint over the origanal gun metal paint and use it as a primer or strip the pistol down to the bare metal and repaint with a few coats ?

I have seen that " THE INTERNET " toys with the fact of using DURACOAT from Homebase but what do you guys think ?

Ok, I was off work today so I spent about 3 hours with my Dremel and a wire brush attachment to completly strip the pistol back to its bare metal. I decided to go for the Kryol black camo paint and boy am I glad I did ! The spray nozzle that it has is a dream to work with and the paint itself is lovely and thin. Compared to the Halfords paint that I have previously used which is very thick when it comes out of the clumsy white nozzle. I spent around an hour or so ( and a very sore head, NOTE TO SELF.... ventilate shed well next time ! ) building up about 5 coats and then let it completly dry. I have now hung the parts up in the hotpress and I will leave it there for a few days to bake / cure

Krylon directly onto bare metal with no primer wouldn't be a very hard wearing finish at all, but since its over the original grey finish the krylon will do just fine.

Krylon onto polymer is a good combination for the record, very durable.

Erm he took it back to the metal, would it not be okay once its clearcoated a few times. Have read about lads using proper gun blueing stuff aint a clue how its done but its what they use on rs so it must be good. Duracoat i think its called maybe.

Not that simple to do right it would seem

No I believe I was right the first time. The parts he has stripped are the smaller periphery parts, e.g. hammer, trigger, etc.

The main body of the gun is still painted, in the original 'gun metal grey' finish. So my point still stands.

I am never happy with something just being stock so I have taken off the barrel, trigger, mag release button, trigger slide lever, and slide release lever to remove the paint and polish it

The pistol at the minute is gun metal grey

Would it be better to paint over the origanal gun metal paint and use it as a primer or strip the pistol down to the bare metal and repaint with a few coats ?

Have read about lads using proper gun blueing stuff aint a clue how its done but its what they use on rs so it must be good. Duracoat i think its called maybe.

Blueing is a chemical process where the surface of a ferrous metal is rusted to protect against corrosion, producing black iron oxide (magnetite). When oiled this finish produced a blue-black colour.

Duracoat is just a brand of spray paint, specifically designed for guns mind, but it's not a process that changes the chemical makeup of the metal like blueing or parkerising.

Ok, I was off work today so I spent about 3 hours with my Dremel and a wire brush attachment to completly strip the pistol back to its bare metal.

No I believe I was right the first time. The parts he has stripped are the smaller periphery parts, e.g. hammer, trigger, etc.

The main body of the gun is still painted, in the original 'gun metal grey' finish. So my point still stands.

Nope

Blueing is a chemical process where the surface of a ferrous metal is rusted to protect against corrosion, producing black iron oxide (magnetite). When oiled this finish produced a blue-black colour.

Duracoat is just a brand of spray paint, specifically designed for guns mind, but it's not a process that changes the chemical makeup of the metal like blueing or parkerising.

Ah right, was wondering what was going on with the airbrush :huh:

Just watched a vid on parkerising and blueing, didn't know how it was done. Pretty interesting

Thy shall speak !!!! :D lol

I indeed stripped it back to the metal as I thought it was a good thing. NO, the paint flakes off with even the tiniest hit :(

It was a waste of time :)

You could try etching the metal with an acid, vinegar will do. This should produce microscopic inperfections for the paint to adhere to, just like tiny sandpaper scratches.

You might want to try it on a small area though, there's no guarantee what kind of effect it will have on an unknown pot metal.

Is there not an aluminium safe version of it? But yeah either way its ott for airsoft regardless if there is or isn't. I think the worn look can look pretty good, the 'abused' look eh not so good!!

Lad off another forum got a deagle kit zinc (iirc) plated but it wasn't too cheap, looked like a very good finish on the end product.

Archived