SPAMF! Solenoid powered airsoft moscart firing

Tinkerton

Hello everyone! After looking at building myself an M79 launcher for my vietnam impression, I got to thinking about the firing system, arguably the most complex bit of the whole gun.

As far as I understand it, the harder you hit the firing pin the better, as the valve opens quicker and the gas gets from the internal resevoir to the barrels in a shorter length of time.

So. Instead of a complex system with cocking hammers, sears, springs etc, I got to thinking about electrical systems (that and I've got a load of micro momentary switches left over from another project), and thus on to solenoids.

Solenoids also offer the advantage of having a remote trigger assembly (switch) which can lead to launcher designs where ordinarily there would not be room to have a hammer assembly, as well as link rods etc to the trigger.

So, has anyone got any thoughts? Anyone done it before? Any advice regarding which solenoids should be used?

Tink

A few buddies and I did this for a WW2 bazooka.

Few tips...

length of travel doesn't matter, raw power is what you are looking for. you need something strong enough to set off a grenade. Most solenoids you are gonna find out there won't be able to do it.

Look into the mechanical solenoids used in PB or for car doors.

Your entire premise is based on a misconception. Modern moscarts use a triggered valve that opens the same way regardless of how "fast" you press the striker plate. You can quite happily use just a lever that pokes it as you pull the trigger, you don't even need a sear or anything like that.

There are the shotgun shells that do have this problem, because they are too small to have the moscart mech.

Am I correct in understanding that the only way moscarts are legal over here is because they are fired directly via the trigger in a lever style?

I thought firing pins etc were illegal as said launcher could theoretically be used with real nades, and a solenoid plunger may constitute as a firing pin.

My apologies if I am wrong, but it may be something to look at before you continue :)

Am I correct in understanding that the only way moscarts are legal over here is because they are fired directly via the trigger in a lever style?

I thought firing pins etc were illegal as said launcher could theoretically be used with real nades, and a solenoid plunger may constitute as a firing pin.

My apologies if I am wrong, but it may be something to look at before you continue :)

I've also heard that this, but never seen any legal confirmation either way.

This was why the Cassiopeia system of revolver was not permitted for import into the UK because it is "readily convertable"

Archived