way to many guns!

really depends on what you fancy.

There are several main 'variants'

AK

G36

M4

Of these there are innumerable configurations, from a Beta Spetz Tacticool AK to an M16A1 VN to a tacticooled M4 Stubby carbine to a G36 with underslung grenade launcher.

They do however, break down into several key components, Gearbox.

V2 - M4, MP5, G3

V3 - AK, G36, AUG

These are the most common types of gearbox, as I'm sure you can guess there are more than just 2 and 3, there's actually up to 7. But the most common are V2 and 3

Basically in airsoft, go what you like the look of, and what feels 'right' in your hand.

Any ideas on guns you think 'look cool'?

whitehawksan quote - (Basically in airsoft, go what you like the look of, and what feels 'right' in your hand.)

i completely agree with you on that one mate which is why i bought the Star Scar-l with an EGLM its just so sexy :) aswell as the beautiful a&k m249 mk2.

know who it is yet matt!!! :D

I think he asking more for advise on MANUFACTORS (VFC, G&G, G&P, KWA, CYMA, Echo 1, ect...) and not model (M4, AK, M14, M249).

Personally I like to recommend G&G and their M4 line up. Good internals, ok wiring, excellent Hop Up bucking.

I'd recommend that people chime in on other good 'beginner" brands. Remember that new people will probably not be able to drop the cash for a KWA, VFC, King Arms AEG, so remember cost effectiveness.

For most beginners I usually suggest the China (clone) brands. Though their quality is inferior, they are much, much cheaper making it easier for new players to start the hobby. This makes sense all the more as you will need to invest in other things as well like protective gear and things to go with your kit like extra magazines and such. You will need to buy a list of things just to start and having the most expensive part (the gun) being all more affordable helps. Now, should you decide later on that airsoft isn't for you then you could easily sell off your equipment with little loss compared to if you bought an expensive gun and have to sell it at 60-70% original price.

If planning to go on the clone route; one of the China guns with the least hassle seem to be the JG G36 (C or K I don't think it matters). The newer ones (I think; not entirely sure if they improved upon it) for the G36K (by Golden Eagle) has a very, very nice body, being some sort of nylon (in layman's terms, I'm no materials expert) and not just ABS. Externally only the mag included was REALLY REALLY ###### so I suggest getting a hicap if you're on budget or a few midcaps if you've got the moolah.

JG's G36 and Golden Eagle's are the same btw.

If you're gonna go with midcaps I'm not too familiar with G36s myself but I think some people here will recommend the new Magpul ones simply because they can fit into mag pouches easier. For hicap I suggest going to ACMGear and get the BBA flash mags (the hicaps without the need to fiddle with the winding wheel, you only need to use a pull string and pull it some 3-5 times and the whole mag will feed itself down to the last 10-15 bbs that can't be fed into the gun if it's a normal hicap anyway).

They aren't too expensive from what I imagined and the quality's pretty good; I got one for a friend with a TM G36 and had the time to take a look at it's construction before I gave it away. So far no problems reported with the mag (it's been 2 months and I think my friend has skirmished with the mag at least once or twice by now).

Other stuff I'll recommend is to change out the barrel and bucking to something better (and it's not a hard task anyway) to say a Prommy 6.05mm and a prommy purple bucking. If possible buy an X High Tech clone firefly rubber and just sell the bucking to someone else; you really just want the flat nub that comes with it (get the one with the middle RH value). Running 0.25g to 0.3g with the hop up dial set correctly I'm pretty sure you can get accurate shots out to 40m at least, maybe more. My friend with a prommy 6.03mm, purple bucking and a firefly 'normal' nub can get hits out to 65m with KSC 0.3g bbs shooting at 1.5J.

G36s also use v3 gearboxes which are easier to disassemble and shim. I suggest you Google "bevel shimming" and "adjusting AOE" and really understand what those terms mean and how to perform them before you try to crack open the gearbox to reshim it or adjust the piston rest position (for AOE).

As for battery I suggest getting a nice 7.4v lipo, lipo alarm and a nice charger for it. As far as I can tell with the AEGs here in HK 7.4v lipos are completely okay for stock guns (others' might differ, I'd like to hear their views too :P) without the triggers getting burnt from arcing. Plus with a 7.4v lipo you'll get a decent rate of fire from the G36s too.

thank you for the positive feed back, in gun models i was looking at, P90, AK 47, M4 AND SCAR manufactures ive been looking at is G&G and tokyo marui, but ive heard rumours that tokyo marui made good pistols but non reliable rifles? im not looking for cheap and cheery im looking for durable and effective

who the blazers told you that. Take everything they said. Ignore it.

TM Make THE most reliable rifles out of the box. TM P90 for you then, it's an incredible gun. If you have the money to drop on it. If not, try the China clone, it's a clone of the TM, so not quite as well finished, well made or well put together, but a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

Silverback mid-caps are the way to go because of the P90's top-down loading system.

INVEST in good eye pro. Dont' go cheap. You only got one pair of eyes son. Don't lose em to poor planning.

thank you for the positive feed back, in gun models i was looking at, P90, AK 47, M4 AND SCAR manufactures ive been looking at is G&G and tokyo marui, but ive heard rumours that tokyo marui made good pistols but non reliable rifles? im not looking for cheap and cheery im looking for durable and effective

I think someone was trying to pull your chain, TM are excellent.

M4 are popular for a reason they work for most people, in most situations.

SCAR is "flash" but actually less versatile (in terms of load outs), but better ergo's, arguably.

AK's are AK's, weapon of choice and all that, don't suit all, but many love 'em. They use a V3 box, which is better than the V2 in the M4/SCAR.

P90 is niche, shorter barrel, whacky mag's (making webbing difficult), load-out specific, but if you love it, you love it.

Oh, don't forget mag's. P90 high cap's are notoriously unreliable, M4 are fine (at 300rnds each), as are AK ones (at 600rnds each), you'll need less AK mag's on a given day!

Edit to add:

Ask people on site, most are happy to talk/let you "grope". You'll find the best solution that way!

yeh i find alot of people at the events ive attended quite helpfull so far ive had ago at the ak, scar, m249 in game play the ak was a rental and the scar and m249 was my mates gun, i had a go on the p90 aswell the owner did say he had problems with the hi cap mag,

Sounds to me like you're doing it right!

Just keep at the "strategy" so far, until you find the right gat for you...

...feedback from on site, and personal experience, tempered with a little forum "fu" will stand you in good stead.

Main point, never listen to just one person...

...unless it's me! ;)

Before, I say anything, I love my P90, but there are some downsides to it that you should be aware. Alot of the problems with it have to do with the mags. As mention above the Hicaps have proven to be problematic. Another thing you have to look at us the size and location of the magazines create seem problems, both airsoft and real steel. Reloading isn't the smoothest and natural feeling, not horrible, but not as fluid compared to an M4/SCAR or AK. Also where do you put your extra mags? There is dedicated vest out there for them and you can create one using special P90/UMP pouches with a molle plateform (vest, pc, chest rig...), but there placement isn't always 100% perfect. No matter the setup, I can't get my P90 rig feeling as nice and perfect. Not trying to turn away from the P90, just want you to be aware of it's special needs.

AK is a very good platform for internal builds(very many reasons; such as hop-up, disassembly in VFC/LCT clones, easy change of motor, fast battery change, very high realsteel parts compatibility for the most part...etc.) over typical V2 platforms like AR15 variants.

But you must get something that has the externals to hold up forever(everything fullsteel, such as fullsteel Dboys, VFC, LCT) or their potmetal parts tend to break under heavy usage(you will bash down doors, heads of capitalists, babies...etc. with your AK; you will mount bayonet on your AK to deal with local wildlife; you might even cook biscuit with the stock of your AK).

CYMA VFC/LCT clones are good choices for beginner but you would be wasting money if you are going to get serious at Russian loadouts and all that.

I recommend getting a CYMA AK(only the VFC/LCT clone models like CM040 series, good ones such as 045, 048, 050, 052; ... 035, 036 and 047 are BAD) for starters.

AK is easy enough to be used by untrained peasants; AK is difficult enough to take lots of training to master its use.

AK is weapon of the People's; AK can also be corrupted to become covered in horrible emo wrist-slitting rails of American interest.

AK is weapon with function AND form in perfect harmony; AK is weapon that will always strike fear into heart of your enemy(just rack a full-sized bolt and see for yourself; you can find those on CYMA RPK or buy separately from VFC; or mod a real one to fit in airsoft).

Good AK is finely crafted Katana(or not so finely crafted; in case of cheap AK as with cheap knockoff Katana); what constitutes for "good" M4 is christmas tree(or a plain M16A1 classic build that a lot of uneducated people look down upon).

Join the religion of Steel and Wood(does not necessarily have to be AK; but AK is entry option)! Buy AK; win at life.

You can change AK into models from MANY countries(Russian, East German, Bulgarian, Romanian...etc.); if you get M4 you will be stuck with American/SAS/whatever loadout that are not nearly as cool.

Whatever you do, do not get a TM AK(or TM anything but gas pistols) if you ever plan to upgrade.

Hm TM's the best internally if you can spend the money; it's just that the externals are plastic where it should be metal due to Japan's domestic laws regarding airsoft guns (except for the electric blowback ones, but I'm not too sure what's the deal with those being metal where it should be metal :P).

SCARs....well, I have a WE SCAR myself and I don't like the ergos especially if you hold the stock close to the chest; the SCAR stock digs in a lot more than M4 stocks because of the stock padding's curvature. Also I find the cheek rest to get in the way because it's too high even on it's lowest settings. The gun is also more vertically 'large' and to me it wasn't as ergonomic as an M4. I suggest you go to a shop and take a look around first, ask if you can handle some of the guns (per the shops' rules and regulations like no finger in the trigger, etc.) before you decide on getting the SCAR.

As for AKs....no one mentioned the Real Sword Type 56s? :P Sure it's not exactly an AK47 but if you just want the AK type of ergos and you've got the cash then a Type 56 would probably be good enough to last you a few years. Externally it's the same as real steel (rumors are that the Type 56 shells are taken from Norinco where they produce the real steel and just rework the insides to fit AEG parts; I haven't handled a RS product myself so take it with a grain of salt) and so far from the reviews on Arnies it seems like everyone's satisfied with it's stock performance.

The Real Sword Type 56s should be real solid; you can probably smack it into a tree a couple of times and hurt the tree more than the gun....it's as real as real steel it can get for a Type 56 airsoft gun. Of course; it really depends whether you have the money to buy one since it's about USD 400 but I don't think you'll be disappointed if you want something as close to a real steel gun as possible.

LCTs are great too; I've seen a stock LCT AKM perform flawlessly out of the box once the barrel was cleaned and shooting 0.25g bbs with the hop up dialled in. I think it reached out to 50m with torso-sized groupings..it was a while back, I don't remember it's performance too well other than it left a great impression on me.

As for AKs....no one mentioned the Real Sword Type 56s? :P Sure it's not exactly an AK47 but if you just want the AK type of ergos and you've got the cash then a Type 56 would probably be good enough to last you a few years. Externally it's the same as real steel (rumors are that the Type 56 shells are taken from Norinco where they produce the real steel and just rework the insides to fit AEG parts; I haven't handled a RS product myself so take it with a grain of salt) and so far from the reviews on Arnies it seems like everyone's satisfied with it's stock performance.

The Real Sword Type 56s should be real solid; you can probably smack it into a tree a couple of times and hurt the tree more than the gun....it's as real as real steel it can get for a Type 56 airsoft gun. Of course; it really depends whether you have the money to buy one since it's about USD 400 but I don't think you'll be disappointed if you want something as close to a real steel gun as possible.

LCTs are great too; I've seen a stock LCT AKM perform flawlessly out of the box once the barrel was cleaned and shooting 0.25g bbs with the hop up dialled in. I think it reached out to 50m with torso-sized groupings..it was a while back, I don't remember it's performance too well other than it left a great impression on me.

Exactly why I do not mention RealSword Type56...as much as I love RealSword. My Type 97 performed very well; if I want to replace anything at all, it would be the motor and install R-hop(not necessary but would be great to have).

If someone is not looking for Type 56 specifically(such as for Vietnam milsim) then RealSword Type56 is probably not for him.

To be honest; LCT and VFC(to a lesser degree) can both be solid enough(but some parts are obviously not as tight as those on RealSword Type 56, for obvious reasons...such as quality of steel and whether the steel was heat treated).

Not to mention most Soviet/Russian loadouts are best with AKM, AKs-74(this fits most loadout), and AK74M.

Biggest evidence that Realsword is not taken from realsteel factory: the barrel is screwed like LCT.

As for LCT: best alternative to VFC in Russian model AK because the only thing LCT lacks is correct selector position(which bothers me to no end because I would have to touch it every time I want to fire the rifle) and LCT AK74M is still a bit weird in New Version.

Exactly why I do not mention RealSword Type56...as much as I love RealSword. My Type 97 performed very well; if I want to replace anything at all, it would be the motor and install R-hop(not necessary but would be great to have).

If someone is not looking for Type 56 specifically(such as for Vietnam milsim) then RealSword Type56 is probably not for him.

To be honest; LCT and VFC(to a lesser degree) can both be solid enough(but some parts are obviously not as tight as those on RealSword Type 56, for obvious reasons...such as quality of steel and whether the steel was heat treated).

Not to mention most Soviet/Russian loadouts are best with AKM, AKs-74(this fits most loadout), and AK74M.

Biggest evidence that Realsword is not taken from realsteel factory: the barrel is screwed like LCT.

As for LCT: best alternative to VFC in Russian model AK because the only thing LCT lacks is correct selector position(which bothers me to no end because I would have to touch it every time I want to fire the rifle) and LCT AK74M is still a bit weird in New Version.

Hmm well I don't assume the OP wanted an AK family replica that's USSR made, hence I mentioned the RS :P Type 56, AKM, AK47, etc. in general have the same ergonomics (without going into adding rails and whatnot to them) so if the OP was looking into AK47s I suppose mentioning the Typ56 would've been good too :P

I haven't owned any AK replicas myself so besides the natural assumptions that the Real Sword will be more durable than the LCT/VFC I can't really say whether the LCT/VFC will be good enough for 'airsoft skirmishing use' in UK.

Hmm I guess whoever told me that RS took parts from Norinco was wrong then :P He was actually referring to the receiver having the same reinforcements as the real steel does but I'm sure not everything was taken from real steel parts. It's probably not cost effective to say dremel a RS bolt to fit the gun :P But besides the barrel and some other misc. parts adadqgg is there anything that indicates certain parts are 100% the same as real steel stuff? I'd like to know :P

Hmm well I don't assume the OP wanted an AK family replica that's USSR made, hence I mentioned the RS :P Type 56, AKM, AK47, etc. in general have the same ergonomics (without going into adding rails and whatnot to them) so if the OP was looking into AK47s I suppose mentioning the Typ56 would've been good too :P

I haven't owned any AK replicas myself so besides the natural assumptions that the Real Sword will be more durable than the LCT/VFC I can't really say whether the LCT/VFC will be good enough for 'airsoft skirmishing use' in UK.

Hmm I guess whoever told me that RS took parts from Norinco was wrong then :P He was actually referring to the receiver having the same reinforcements as the real steel does but I'm sure not everything was taken from real steel parts. It's probably not cost effective to say dremel a RS bolt to fit the gun :P But besides the barrel and some other misc. parts adadqgg is there anything that indicates certain parts are 100% the same as real steel stuff? I'd like to know :P

There is no indication that they are realsteel parts; because anyone can make AK parts in high quality and they can fit on both realsteel and airsoft(with or without some modification; most obvious case is the difficulty in attempting to fit realsteel AKM parts onto realsword barrel, which is thicker than AKM; but if RealSword made an actual AKM, there would be no compatibility issue). I have no doubt that RealSword is made in HK(because if they came from Norinco factory assembled, they should be much cheaper); it is easy to get the blueprint and manufacturing details if you pay the correct person and AK manufacturing is not rocket science(otherwise Khyberpass would not be making many of their explosive AK).

Norinco office building also happens to be about 10-20km from where I live in China, I can just go ask them again and see if I can get a straight answer.

The problem I have is that I cannot compare RealSword Type 56 to the real one side-by-side for obvious reasons, and they would not be in the same condition(sometimes not even the same model) to make a fair comparison. If a factory make an airsoft part to the exact dimension, material, and finish of the realsteel...it is still airsoft part; RealSword gas block and front sight can probably fit onto realsteel rifle and work...but then again so can silly gas tube with integrated rail made in America fit on both real and airsoft.

There is no difference between parts other than stock, receiver, and barrel being sourced from Norinco or not; why bother tracking it down?(it is only illegal to own firearm, imitation firearm, or enough parts to assemble a real firearm; bits and pieces are not illegal) People can believe whatever they want about where those gas block, gas tube, handguard...etc. came from...but that does not matter. Where ever they came from, RealSword still has most solid externals(minus areas in realsteel that will develop unavoidable wobble, such as the folding stock) in airsoft.

RealSword represents where every airsoft company should be: parts indistinguishable from realsteel(but obviously barrel is ported in the wrong places with no hole leading to gasblock but a few holes hidden by handguard).

Also, RealSteel bolt is not a lot more expensive than VFC fake one; although destroying progressive property of the people's is a crime and may invoke unwanted attention from the NKVD.

well the p90 is off the wish list lol, even tho reviews seem 2 be good, players ive spoke to have a few to many complains for my liking, the ak seems to be on the win at the moment but i have yet had a chance to try out the m4 so i will save judgement for now, thanks for all the helpful advise for the newbie lol

Archived