TM Glock 17 Upgrades - Opinions Needed!

original poster

Hi all,

I ordered a TM Glock 17 and 3 spare mags which came the other day, very happy with it and looking to upgrade it as a bit of a project.

After a ridiculous amount of research I've come up with the below list of upgrades -

PGC CNC Machined metal slide

PGC metal outer barrel

PDI 6.01 tightbore barrel

Guarder enhanced 150% recoil spring and spring guide

Guarder high output valves

Nine Ball purple gas routers

After watching a few YouTube videos I feel totally confident I'll be able to install of the the above myself with little problem, appreciate the metal slide is probably going to require some adapting to fit perfectly which is also fine.

My main reason for the above upgrades is to -

increase the weight of the pistol (the TM Glock 17 is rather light as standard)

Increase the FPS

Increase the kick

any opinions on the above choices and anything else you'd add at all?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good upgrade list, but I am curious to understand why you'd want to increase the weight of the pistol? There are reasons to upgrade to a metal slide, in my mind, perhaps not the weight.

Either way, would be good to see how you get on! Especially if you're able to do a before and after performance test.

Good luck! :)

Fair enough! I take it then, that the mag doesn't add enough weight for you (and maybe a weapon light)?

I quite fancy of Glock of some sort down the line. Are you planning to document the build?

I have to admit, other than stripping down my pistol for maintenance, I've not attempted any upgrades - it would be good to get the viewpoint of another first-timer. :)

Your missing a nine ball hop rubber, why put high flow valves in your going to use more gas and have less shots per fill also the small jump in fps is negligible as would the increase in recoil, go with a nine ball hop rubber and router combo.

One thing you're going to want to keep in mind is that a heavier slide will mean your pistol will not work as good in the cold, unless you can keep your mags warm. Another upgrade I would recommend is a silver back o-ring piston lid. I put one in my old TM Glock and I found it helped with consistency and boosted the fps a little.

You do know that the real Glock 17 weighs about 625g when unloaded right?

It is not a heavy gun due to the use of polymers, so the airsoft pistol with a magazine loaded is actually not that far off of the real gun with a loaded magazine (both fall into the 700-750g mark).

Just wondering why, plus the extra weight on the slide will mean worse cycling in bad weather unless you have the parts to back it up on Green or even CO2 depending how low the temperatures get in your area. As none of the items you have listed will re-inforce the internal working perhaps you need to look at this too.

At the end of the day if you want a heavy pistol get a 1911 or 2011, they can be metal kitted, weighted and easily upgraded to fire harder and give a better recoil.

'FireKnife'

It will predominately be used in CQB so range isn't really 'needed' with this build. It's more the experience of firing it that I've focussed on.

I appreciate the weight of a real Glock is low due to the materials used but in honesty I couldn't care less about real steel vs GBB, I just want a pistol that's fun to use :)

Ah, which Serpa did you go for in the end? I've been told the usual G17/18 serpa won't fit and was recommend to get a G20 serpa to accomodate the extra width of a TM.

Yeah I had to get a G20 serpa as the TM's don't fit in the standard 17 one!

It will predominately be used in CQB so range isn't really 'needed' with this build. It's more the experience of firing it that I've focussed on.

I appreciate the weight of a real Glock is low due to the materials used but in honesty I couldn't care less about real steel vs GBB, I just want a pistol that's fun to use :)

Yeah I had to get a G20 serpa as the TM's don't fit in the standard 17 one!

Get an inokatsu 1911 then it kicks like a mule but with a tm hop unit with co2 mags...... pistols like the GLOCKS IMO are good for standard skirmish use and the cost of upgrading them doesn't give proportionate performance, Smart upgrades such as the router and TB will make it more accurate and better, but if you want to go down the MBK route I suggest a high capa purely because the larger gas reservoir means even after I dropped in increased recoil springs and high flow valves I could still get an entire mag off in the cold this was done with propane and after keeping the magazine in a pocket as opposed to a mag pouch.

Also I've modded a Glock 17 serpa into accepting a TM g17.

Then don't buy a TM Glock, they are for practical or range shooting, not for fun value. If you want weight and a felt kick look at the PX4, if you want to custom build something to give a good weight and kick then look at a 2011. The Glock, in perticular the TM, doesn't lend itself well to how it feels, but how accurate and snappy (lightweight, speed shooting) it can be.

A KWA would give a better feel but then you wouldn't have much to upgrade, nor for CQB need much to upgrade.

'FireKnife'

I've never seen too much value in high flow valves. If you are after every bit of FPS you can squeeze out of the gun, sure. The investment of needing to buy one for every mag just seems pretty poor. And the only time I've spent that kind of money on some Nineball ones for my Hi-Capas, they all broke....

Hop-up bucking and tight bore is a good buy for any GBB pistol. For TM Glock running on Green or Propane, the must is a uprated hammer spring as the stock one is weak and high pressure gas will lead to light strike in any temperature that resemble "warm". Some kind of reinforcement to the frame is probably desirable as they will crack the front screw post in the frame, plastic slide or metal slide alike...

As far as weight goes, TM Glock is pretty light. With mag the weight is slightly more than the UNLOADED real steel Glock(ref: http://www.justpistols.co.uk/tm_g17.htm), according to Glock's own page the loaded gun weighs about 950g. The balance of the stock is also much more mag centric, which is a bit different than RS. Having recently had some range time on a real Glock 17, I'd even say my steel slide one is still lighter than the RS.

I read the standard Marui one is sufficient enough considering I'm not going for out and out range?

But you want power? the nine ball rubber and router combo is much cheaper than forking out for high flow valves in each mag?

I agree with RM, hi flow valves really aren't needed unless your stock ones are busted or you're desperately wanting a teeny bit more FPS.

Other than that, a TBB is almost always a needed upgrade for most GBB's - it makes accuracy much better. IMO an upgraded hammer spring isn't really required unless you do get that metal slide upgrade as well.

What I meant with the lighter BBU was this:

- Steel slide/barrel ( guarder ) with lightweight Alu BBU ( 9ball, AIP ) / Oring pistonhead ( PDI )for weight / gas efficiency balance.

Some other things come to mind

- Guarder 150% springs for durability and to handle high pressure gasses

- TBB, 9ball rubber and router for general performance and gas efficiency

- if possible replace sears / hammer also with steel for extra weight + reliability bonus ( steel on steel > steel on other, softer metal )

- RS sights if possible, for these are steel ( i think ) thus making the slide a tiny bit heavier.

IMO an upgraded hammer spring isn't really required unless you do get that metal slide upgrade as well.

I've had light strike on a stock TM G18C running on green gas with the long mag at around 20C(68F). So far all my TM Glock eventually needed a hammer spring, from 26 to 18C.

Compare to Hi-capa or others where the hammer spring is a long compressive coil spring, the torsion spring used on the Glock I think is comparatively weaker.

Archived