Making a round counter (a-la pulse rifle)

Right, so im very much considering making my UAR a battle rifle (halo 4 version) bodykit or similar, which obviously has a round counter in it. Now how would you make this? As id probably take a dig at modifying VN Midcaps to use in it. Im not after accuracy, only that its on 0 relatively near the end of the mag and resets to 36(?) when reloaded.

I get the basic idea of some sort of switch on one of the triggers and one in the magwell to reset?

Im fairly competent with electronics, so can do most things, im just after advice on how to go about it.

IIRC there was a chap who made a NERF longshot conversion on these forums - using a JG M4 inside with a LED round counter.

The county bit was actuated by a microswitch in the back of the gearbox which was hit by the piston.

I've thought about this a bit myself before. The idea I thought up involved using light gates like a chrono, but a small switch pushed by something like the piston sounds much easier to work in. I also thought about having another small button placed in the mag well, so that when you put in a fresh mag it would reset the counter by pushing a reset button. I'm incredibly rusty on my electronics as it's been a while since my college course though so I wouldn't know what sort of things I'd need to use.

ive got an idea of what i can do with switches and whatnot, its the microchip itself that'd need work. could be interesting.

looking at the gun itself, there isnt a lot of work really, as if i take the upper off, the barrel is exposed.

only problem is going to be getting another one for less than the retail of £200 :(

Iv68A6W9_original.jpg

g35Sr3mY_original.jpg

I think a simple counter IC triggered by a light gate that shines either through your hop unit (like the Madbull tracer, to count BBs) or through your gearbox shell (to count piston cycles), which could feed a pair of those 7-segment LED displays to show number of rounds. The whole thing could be powered by your AEG battery via a suitable voltage regulator. The trick would be finding the right counter IC I think, I'm not really sure what's out there.

Pretty much what im getting at, but MAG VN mids (what i intend to use for the mags) are 130 cap, so ill have to try count 108bbs and have it count down every 3 shots. As i dont want to limit myself to 36 round mags.

I might get on to my old school, see if theyll let me program a chip.

Edit: (counting 108bbs isnt an issue, just go on one count on the 7segments for 3 bbs)

Archived