Magpul PDR Grip Extension!

Hi there, I recently purchased the Magpul PDR, I am pretty comfortable with the handling of the P90, but the extremely long magazines means less usability for me. So the PDR seems to be a very good choice, Stanag mags, packed in the bullpup fashion of the P90.

Sadly, I found two major problems with the PDR, first, I have many mini-type batteries that doesn't fit, and I'm not a big fan of LiPo batteries, and the most important problem is that GUN GRIP IS EXTREMELY SHORT, most of your palm and your little finger grips nothing. 

So I packed up my 3D skills and made a 3D printed Grip extension.

MagpulPDR01.jpg

I found (apart of being able to use bigger batteries) that handling the PDR is really nice and slick now... it is not only the feeling of it, now I get many more control over the gun. In fact, the good point about bullpups is that many of the weight goes back, and that is specially good when you have to handle the gun one handed (example: when jumping over small obstacles, windows, fences... when you have to launch from the floor firing...) as you can make your shoulder absorb most of the weight, you can keep a somehow balanced firing.

With the bigger grip the PDR raises to its full potential. You can use ALL your hand to grip the gun and not only half palm and 3 fingers.

MagpulPDR02.jpg

You can have a look at it here, I used Shapeways.com to print the piece, and it is available there for everyone:

3D printed grip fits perfectly in the gun, no wobble, no cracky sounds... you can use up to a mini type battery and if you print it in black, it is plug and play, as you can see in the photos. This is Version 3, which means I went throug 2 prototypes to polish the final model.

Another nice feature I've put into practice is to have a small ris under the grip. The PDR lacks of enough rail space, if you want to use an eotech 551 (is the one I have) and backup sights, you can't put anything else on the PDR, in fact, you'll have to keep the front sight up to be able to attach the 551.

MagpulPDR05.jpg

So, for the flashlight I tryed the bottom approach and I must say it works incredibly well! 
Gun operation doesn't interferes at all with the light beam, and having the light source below the gun helps a lot to not being flashed when projecting it on reflective surfaces (metal, windows, mirrors...) as the gun body prevents the beam reflection to reach your eyes.

Nothing else, I hope you like it :)

MagpulPDR03.jpg
This is the fully loaded version, using Ak style mags from King Arms (after a small modification they work and feed pretty good) and flashlight below the grip.

Hi Topo, just for info.. which changings you made for AK magazine adapting?

thanks so much

Simone

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived