Magpul PDR Grip Extension!

It's a shame I can't show you guys what the official PDR grip extension looks like. Part of the trouble being that there's a limited number of PDRs on the market and the cost for molding the extension may or may not validate the tooling for the official production of that accessory. That said, I'm glad to see someone has made something that fills a need for the common consumer.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Hello guys,

New to the forum.

New to airsoft upgrading and customisation.

Saw the PDR a while back and had to have it.

Ordered it, and before it (has!) even shipped I ordered the grip extension (nice work Topo!)

Having looked it up on here and elsewhere it seems that the PDR have a boatload of issues with non-propriety parts.

Especially gears, but other parts too of course.

Was thus wondering if anyone, PDR owners mostly, would be interested in compiling a compatibility list of upgrades on here?

• 3 months later...

Soooo... Now that the gun itself has been out for while. How is it? Any particular issues with it one should fix right away? Not looking to do anything wierd or wild rof etc, maybe a precocking CPU fet if i can fit one, maybe not if the semi is crisp enough with a neo-motor. Anyways, how is it?

Trying to get a hold of one, maybe second hand. 

they will probably continue making it for a couple years because they had to have agreed on a certain minimum. it was my understanding that they had been planning the split for a long time befor we had any news of it.

People made the break between Magpul and PTS as more than it was. That said, and I don't know there was an official announcement, but Magpul has given exclusive permission to PTS to continue producing the PDR and Masada just without Magpul markings and with EPMs instead of PMAGs.

Sooo... A marked Masada or a PDR may one day be collectors piece.

Hopefully this cuts a bite off the price. Unlikely but one can hope.

If they still make em it means it drive second hand prices down

• 4 weeks later...

Ehobbyasia sells  some magpul pdr grip extensions... But i think the ones the guy here made look better, and i also wonder if they are still availably anywhere?

But it's only $13 from eHobby but the one I bought from shapeways cost about €40!!? (I even bought a second one in case they stopped supplying them but no-one ever wanted it off me...)

Deadmeat, sounds like you've got a guaranteed sale to Packy313. ;)

Personally while I appreciate the innovative way the aftermarket one was done, I prefer the styling of the PTS one. That said, I'm partially biased since I was involved in the PTS version's development (plus it was my idea originally). :D

Thank you guys for the quick replies! Well i searched some more and found this one:

http://i.materialise.com/shop/item/1002ca52-db4c-4ecf-83f2-60072229e0ed?query=pdr&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=0

This is the same one that was originally sold at shapeways, right? But why is it cheaper?

Are there any legal issues with the non-pts grip extension or why did shapeways stop selling them?

@uscmcorps: Do you own the pts grip extension? Could you maybe post a picture of how it looks on the gun? Cause on the picture at ehobbyasia it looks kinda... too long

@deadmeat: how is the handling with the grip extension?

I've sent all my samples out. I don't have any to take pics of.

If the non-PTS grip extension has been removed from shape ways that is either a result of the designer taking it off there or shape ways themselves doing it. As far as I know PTS has had no issue with it being made available and hasn't sent any C&D notices or anything like that. It's not like it infringed on the PTS product itself. It's simply an aftermarket accessory. There's nothing wrong with that in our opinion.

Thank you guys for the quick replies! Well i searched some more and found this one:

http://i.materialise.com/shop/item/1002ca52-db4c-4ecf-83f2-60072229e0ed?query=pdr&category=all-categories&sortBy=interesting&pageNumber=1&pageSize=18&index=0

This is the same one that was originally sold at shapeways, right? But why is it cheaper?

@deadmeat: how is the handling with the grip extension?

I think I was confused as I reckon I actually bought both my grip extensions from actually I-materialise (hence the €40 price in my mind)!! I seem to recall the creator initially used Shapeways but they dropped the design as they feared it had something to do with a real firearm..!!? Then the design was moved to I-materialise and the polymer used seemed to be an improvement. I have to admit the handling of my PDR is much improved with the grip extension, the polymer feels very strong and feels good, most importantly it simply fits and removes the problem of your last finger dropping off the end of the grip!

I'd definitely encourage any PDR owner to get themselves any grip extension, you get to use a longer lipo and it is sooo much more comfortable to handle. Go and buy yourself one!

The short grip is really a pain in the *albatross*. I found myself using my middlefinger as a triggerfinger while gripping the gun with only the pinky and the ring ringer several times last game...

The Battery compartement is not that much of an issue to me, as we have a store called "Conrad" in Germany which sells 7,4 LiPos with incredibly 25C. This small 7.4 LiPo is more then enough to trigger the *suitcase* out of enemies with the PDR. (Note: German Airsoft Guns only shoot Semi-Auto)

I definately plan on buying a grip extension, preferrably the one featured in this thread and on shapeways. I was only wondering if it is legal to buy them, since shapeways dropped the product for appereantely no reason and magpul PTS released on themselfes.

I fear the Original Magpul Grip extension might look odd on my gun, cause i use a Raiser Rail under my Reddot, which already adds to the height of the gun.

Keep in mind, that price is excluding VAT and shipping.

I have been using I.materialise's services for a few times now.

I am very much pleased with how they handle every thing.

Sure it is not cheap. but it's also not of the shelf like PTS's grip extension, which is obviously made in batches.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my grip extension just today (just in time, tomorrow is a game), and i am EXTREMELY happy with it!

The handling improved sooo much. Plus it looks great on the gun, it now kinda reminds me of the zastava nozzle form ghost in the shell :)

Good job for designing this masterpiece. Can't wait to show it to my fellow pdr-c users tomorrow :)

Also, big thanks to imaterialise, they made and shipped it very fast. 

• 2 months later...

Archived