WA Wilson Tactical Special - Mystery?

garry

Now here's one for you....

I bought this from a shop in 1997.

The point is though, I've never found an owner of another one to this date.

They call it a Tactical Special, but seems far more closely modeled on the Tactical Elite, which IMO is one of the best looking 1911 derivatives ever made. The sights appear to be genuine Bo-Mar as well, rather than a copy thereof.

Here's the RS.....

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-tactical-elite.asp#.U2YW8vldWSo

I can't help but wonder that there must be more of these out there, or was it a one off custom job that accidentally got sent out to a dealer? It's possible I suppose.

Any ideas guys?

Here's some pics....

2hyjuco.jpg

2qwzzg2.jpg

212g5fb.jpg

What makes you think the sites are genuine Bomar?  There are countless WAs with Bomars.  Granted I've only briefly shot a RS Bomar sighted 1911 but I did not notice any major difference really.

WA like/liked to do very small runs of customs.  The chances are it was from a very small batch and the local WA enthusiasts in Japan swallowed them up so you're not likely to see them posted on western forums e.t.c.

I have one of the combat customs in the B&W photo so they are about.

1997 sounds correct for the year of release. The limited edition WA Wilson Tactical Special (single stack) was available as an all black pistol at ¥21000 or with silver frame for another ¥500.

It looks like it is in mint condition, it is nice to see something of that age in great condition.

As for the real thing, in my 'Wilson' catalogue of 1991, the Tactical Special (built on a Colt Government) is listed as #W116 with Bomar sights.

In the later 'Wilson Combat' catalogue of 1995, there is only the Tactical Elite #W116E with Wilson Combat's own fixed sights (which could be built on a 1911 made by a variety of manufacturers).

Thanks for the comments guy's.

@ Hitman, if I remember, you've been on here for a long time and have quite a few really nice custom 1911's. I've had a VERY long break from here until recently...

Re the Bo-Mars, I have an acquaintance who's been a sec 5 rfd for as many years as I can remember and he seemed to think they were gens when he had a look at the gun. However, it's easy to forget just how well both the Japanese and Chinese can copy things well.....

It didn't really occur to me that it may have been a very ltd run snapped up by the local market. However, I still find it surprising that I've not found another owner as yet. Even the pics you find on google are of mine. Most of them are from Justpistols. Mark (aka Snowman) did not live far from me and came to collect it for a review on his site (which now seems to be down?).

@Mobius.

Yes, I would describe the condition as maybe 98%. It's had maybe 50 mags through it from new. Mind you, in that 50 mags of use, it's one of the few guns that never jammed / failed, or mis-fired in any respect.

I've always been in two minds as to sell it or not, but considering it's rarity, would not really know a price to attach?........

I also have a couple of WA FBI Trials, which I think were not made in huge numbers either, but yet again, for what people offer, I'd rather keep them. 

Heh, yeah, been here a fair few years. Yeah.  The quality of the earlier WAs were better than the more modern ones.  I had the SCW2/3 version of the combat custom and comparing them side by side, the difference was noticeable.

Found some pics

vJlMNbel.jpg

Cant really see the difference between the two from the pic except for the better looking older mag really.

NycWOQ7l.jpg

Nice one,

That's a beaut, I've always liked WA's.

Mine came in that exact same box, just had a sticker on the side saying "Tactical Special, Ltd Edition".

I still have the box and all the paperwork etc.

Can you still get mags / upgrade kits / slides etc? WA spares and bits seem a bit thin on the ground these days (as do the guns).

What happened to them?

Edit,

Looking at you're pics, mine seems to be the same gun, but without the comp and extended mag (and obviously without the silver frame!!)

Can't quite tell from the pics, but even with that comp, that appears to have the tapered / cone barrel?

You can still get mags.  WA 1911 mags work in any WA 1911 as long as it's one of the old 15 rounders or later.  Upgrade kits are thin on the ground and are pretty much old stock.  Occasionally I'll come across a NIB Prime frame/slide which is a treat but it's quite rare.  ProG4 will still make stuff for the older WAs (if they're taking orders on at that moment)  Again, spares are rare and old stock really.  Even the newer parts for SCWs are rare.

Unfortunately TM came along with their 'hi capa' and 1911 variants and most of the after market guys jumped/focused on them.

And yeah, it has a cone barrel.

Cheers buddy,

Shame about WA - personally I always preferred them over TM (even now). Always thought they were better guns and better built. Way more akin to the RS, even down to the fact you can de-cock the 1911's due to the intertia hammer system, without the gun trying to go off....

Indeed.  Plus the WA heavyweight is awesome.  WAs are simply superior.  To me, they shoot better, harder recoil e.t.c.

The insane price hikes in Japan have not helped matters.  They have priced a lot of people out really.

Yeh,

Agree.

The FBI trial's I have are the heavy weight ones, with what they called the teflon finish at the time. They are cold to the touch and easily mistaken as being full metal. Overall quality is quite simply superb. They had a good valving  / operating system, as they seem to have just as much recoil on 134a (now 144) as many present guns on green / propane.

This one (although a double stack SV, so not REALLY a 1911 derivative per se) was done by Mike at Elite quite some time ago. Has about every mod available on it......

14nfv3q.jpg

Here's the FBI..

v3itep.jpg

Not a 1911, but another heavy weight WA.

I think these were a bit thin on the ground as well....

28qucyd.jpg

Nice.  It's good to have a WA appreciation thread in the sea of TM stuff heh.  I have an FBI trial too.  Wearing different grips and a SD slide and barrel kit though.

DSC01134.jpg

@Mobius.

I've always been in two minds as to sell it or not, but considering it's rarity, would not really know a price to attach?........

........ for what people offer, I'd rather keep them.

Sadly, you have answered your own question.

Ah, the joys of WA ownership ;)

Seriously though, it is a case of finding someone else with the 'WA appreciation bug' to get the money you would expect.

@Hitman

Now that is nice...

I remember dawdling whether to buy a full metal kit for my trial (years ago when they were about), but never got around to it......

I have two of them. Ones been used a bit, but still immaculate. The other is still boxed and literally never been fired. Just kept a bit of gas in the mag now and again to keep it leak free.

Yeh Mobius,

It's a sod eh?

But hey ho, I have no need to sell them really, so will just keep hold of them and appreciate them like Hitman.

Like he says, it's good to have some WA appreciation from us older guy's......

Archived