Japan Trip!

BrokenSPAS

I'm Kendodude from Airsoftpacific.com and well, i'm going to japan.

Now I plan on going to japan to run around and see the sights, fuji rock festival, get a feel for the culture, and to play some airsoft!

Problem with the airsoft part. are there any japanese airsoft fourms i can hop on, because from my searching i have found none. plus, i barely know any japanese (My aunt lives in Nagano). So I hope I can find someplace english friendly.

either that or no airsoft in japan. ugh. It'll be nice to see some airsoft stores over there.

My current plans are to land in Narita airport in tokyo, immediately take the bullet train from the airport to Nagano. Get myself settled in there for a couple days. Travel to Kyoto and stay at a hostel for 3 or so days then travel back to Nagano, then to Tokyo and stay at another hostel and fool around there including Fuji Rock (HELL YEAH!!!)

and yes i know i have to buy the Japan Rail pass before i enter japan too.

The dates and plans are still loose due to my money going up and down, but i'll definately be there for Fuji Rock.

SO YEAH! NEED TIPS FOR AIRSOFT IN JAPAN! Or atleast checking out major airsoft places.

well, there aren't many English-speaking places in Japan as far as I know.

What I mean is... Most people don't speak very good Engrish there. Unless you keep bumping into westerner-expats.

But I'm sure big buck shops - as in those who're used to foreign customers - should have a fair grasp of english. *fingers crossed*

Try to get your hands on some japanese airsoft mags and *if you plan to get to a game* you should've gotten hold of contacts over there by now.

Bi-linguals that can show you round the shops and airsofting scenes obviously.

Japanese people don't make a habit of "airsofting on the net", they pretty much just get on with it, play the game and to me it doesn't seem to be a massive part of their lives, in comparison to the west, or Hong Kong anyway.

You could try to get your aunt to look out for local shops I suppose... TM's website has addresses of regional TM shops and stuff, and the last time I looked, they're mostly in Japanese, but I have a terrible memory.

Get learning on the basic phrases too. If you can, get an expat japanese teacher whilst you're still at home, too.

Most of all plan ahead and check the small details, and allow for logistical mistakes when travelling. If you're travelling alone, don't carry too much gear.

Enjoy dude! ;)

p.s. You won't find bins in the streets of Japan :)

I have answered this question before.

Here is an e-mail I wrote month or so ago to a bloke

with a similar question.

Consider this the general

"I'm a foreigner amd I want to Airsoft in Japan" reply.

As far as commercial fields go, I can only think of one in Aichi (where I am), and its an indoor field in Okazaki. Never been there but I hear its not so hot. There are some commercial fields around Osaka and Tokyo, but most people who play in AIchi use private lots. Its usually someone's grandmother's farm, or maybe an empty lot behind a factory where they work or some arrangement like that. Somebody who knows somebody who owns an empty lot (which are few in Japan).

To find people who play, I suggest an internet search. Use the Japanese Google. Success depends on how good your Japanese is. There are lots of teams in and around Nagoya. Look at their websites and decide which team looks the most interesting to you. Make sure to check their game schedule before you contact them. Wont make much sense to join a team that plays on days that you have to work. Team websites always have contact info and generally encourage new members. When you write, just be really nice and ask if they would mind having a gaijin come play with them. Try to assure them that communication wont be a problem. My team was pretty shocked when they first heard from me, but now my team mates are some of the best friends I have ever had. We do lots of stuff other than airsoft, barbecues, road trips, etc.

As far as not having a car goes, yeah its a pain in the *albatross* getting to games, but lots of people on my team dont have cars either! Alot of these private lots where people play dont have any parking. Airsoft teams do alot of car pooling just because parking can be such a *badgeress*. Just try to get as close to the field as possible under your own power (train, walking) before you ask for a ride. It would be pretty crass to ask a stranger to pick you up at your house when then field is only 30 minutes away by train. Remember, the Japanese are super nice about stuff like that, just dont take advantage of Japanese hospitality like most gaijin. Probably the most important thing of all is language. I wont make any assumptions about your Japanese ability, but being able to speak Japanese well will put your potential team mates at ease. They are there to have fun, not struggle through explaining things to a gaijin in broken English. If you speak Japanese, then they can relax and enjoy the game, and most importantly they can befriend you.

Find this useful?

Anyway, have fun in Japan!

When will you be here? August?

EDIT

You know what, if you are just coming for a short visit, FORGET AIRSOFTING. You can airsoft at home, and probably on much better sights than the Japanese do. Instead of a day of Airsofting, you should spend an extra day exploring Kyoto, or wandering around Akihabara in Tokyo. Go climb a mountain, or see tea ceremony performed, or go watch Kabuki in Ginza.

If this is your first time to Japan, you should not waste it doing things that you could do at home. I suggest a Lonely Planet travel book. Not to rain on your parade, but there a million things to do for a first timer in Japan.

hey that's greatly appreciated!

you know, this changes my perspective on airsoft alot about japan. I expected something like hardcore like Philippines (going there too) and hong kong.

I never thought about how loose airsoft is in the place where it was born. I mean I was looking for some hardcore games to go to.

But hey, i wasn't going to japan just for airsoft anyway.

this changes my perspective on airsoft alot about japan. I expected something like hardcore like Philippines

Well, I guess Japanese airsofters could be considered "hardcore", but just in a different way. It's more of like an ultra-geekiness. The Japanese tend to obsess over their hobies, no mater what it is. They go all the way or nothing. Japanese airsofters are geeks. The are the geekiest of the geeks in fact. Most airsofters here keep their hobby a secret from family and co-workers.

Here are few pics of airsoft in Japan...

Ok I would have to disagree with Romanowski, I live here in Japan, have done for the past 6 years. There are some amazing pay to play sites, its just a communication thing....speaking the language really helps but it only took me 2 days of looking and visiting shops to get connected with several teams and finally team Setsuna whom play every weekend with no feild costs....from there we entered the Japan BLAM tournements.

One of the Big games that happens once a month here is Battle@2005 they do eitgher indoor or out door gaming.

http://echigoya.co.jp/uchigoya/index.html

Also Shane at Echigoya in Akihabara Tokyo is a good chap and can set you up with some gaming.....failing that you could possibly come and play at Team Setsuna's field. But as I said alot of "Gaijin" tend not to speak the language and organisers are put off this for the safety reasons.

this changes my perspective on airsoft alot about japan. I expected something like hardcore like Philippines

Well, I guess Japanese airsofters could be considered "hardcore", but just in a different way. It's more of like an ultra-geekiness. The Japanese tend to obsess over their hobbies, no mater what it is. They go all the way or nothing. Japanese airsofters are geeks. The are the geekiest of the geeks in fact. Most airsofters here keep their hobby a secret from family and co-workers.

Here are few pics of airsoft in Japan.

Thats me with the bazooka.

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST!

post-4884-1120281459_thumb.jpg

post-4884-1120281701_thumb.jpg

Well, I guess Japanese airsofters could be considered "hardcore", but just in a different way. It's more of like an ultra-geekiness. The Japanese tend to obsess over their hobies, no mater what it is. They go all the way or nothing.  Japanese airsofters are geeks. The are the geekiest of the geeks in fact. Most airsofters here keep their hobby a secret from family and co-workers.

Here are few pics of airsoft in Japan...

Sorry mate but thats UTTER B.S total generalisation.

Sorry mate but thats UTTER B.S total generalisation.

You know, I suppose it is.

Allow me to rephrase what I said in my previous post.

Of the many people and teams I have played airsoft with in Japan, most, if not all, fall under the category super-geek. One must admit, dressing up in camo and running around the woods with BB guns, is in fact quite geeky.

As far as keeping it a secret goes, this is also true for most players I know, including myself. In a culture thats familiar with paintball, airsoft is easy to explain. You just say "its like paintball" and there you go. But here, it requires explanation to most non-geeks. I know a guy who has played for a decade, and has managed to keep it a secret from his wife even.

So, Fareast, sorry if I seemed to generalize about the airsoft experience in Japan. All comments I have made on the subject of airsoft in Japan, come from my experiences playing in Aichi prefecture. It may be a totally different ballgame in your neck of the woods.

PS sorry about the previous double post...

You know, I suppose it is. 

Allow me to rephrase what I said in my previous post.

Of the many people and teams I have played airsoft with in Japan, most, if not all, fall under the category super-geek. One must admit, dressing up in camo and running around the woods with BB guns, is in fact quite geeky.

As far as keeping it a secret goes, this is also true for most players I know, including myself. In culture thats familiar with paintball, airsoft is easy to explain. You just say "its like paintball" and there you go. But here, it requires explanation to most non-geeks. I know a guy who has played for a decade, and has managed to keep it a secret from his wife even.

So, Fareast, sorry to if I seemed to generalize about the airsoft experience in Japan. All comments I have made on the subject of airsoft in Japan, come from my experiences playing in Aichi prefecture. It be a totally different ballgame in your neck of the woods.

PS sorry about the previous double post...

No problem....I guess the closer you are to major cities (Yokohama, Tokyo) People are a lot more open about the things they get upto at the weekends. Although I have to agree when the Japanese take up a hobby....they really get absorbed by it. Team Setsuna has it's fair share of geeks (But saying that everyone here falls into that catergory ..no?) But the majority bring thier wives/GF along to play once in a while. (We even have a family play now and again...... ..mother, father and thier two teenage sons.)

i have no personal experience in japan, but based on a few japanese airsofters conversations, i would agree more with FarEast than with Romanowski..

as for web-based japanese - you wont find many forums like this or the ones we have in the west - they simply dont cater for out-of-japan players, for somewhat obvious reasons.

that doesnt mean to say that gaijin dont play airsoft in japan - all material i have show alot of pictures of gaijin/gaijin teams etc who play in some of the bigger events in japan.

what there is though, compared to the west, is a lack of milsim type sites or events, and nothing i've seen is on scale of milsim we've seen in europe, uk [senny/longmoor/stirling, etc] or the us.

what they do have are themed events, and vietnam seems to be a very popular one.

i have no personal experience in japan, but based on a few japanese airsofters conversations, i would agree more with FarEast than with Romanowski..

as for web-based japanese - you wont find many forums like this or the ones we have in the west - they simply dont cater for out-of-japan players, for somewhat obvious reasons.

that doesnt mean to say that gaijin dont play airsoft in japan - all material i have show alot of pictures of gaijin/gaijin teams etc who play in some of the bigger events in japan.

what there is though, compared to the west, is a lack of milsim type sites or events, and nothing i've seen is on scale of milsim we've seen in europe, uk [senny/longmoor/stirling, etc] or the us.

what they do have are themed events, and vietnam seems to be a very popular one.

Well recently there was the HUGE WWII milsim of the taking of Iowa Jima which attracted around a 1000 players...I will try and find some pics....

But here is my teams website and as you can see they don't cater for English speakers even though there are 8 western players on the team....although out of around 40 members thats still not alot to warrant an English page.

http://teamsetsuna.client.jp/

But like Romanowski said ...."Forget about Airsoft" because this is a unique opertunity to experience a culture that is so unique compared to other nations (200 years of isolation will do that.) and go look around and get a taste for the culutre, If when returning to Tokyo you want to hit the shops and Airsoft scene let me know and I'll gladly show you the sites......and hopefully by then Tokyo-Marui will have finished thier Indoor gaming center! ....yes you heard Tokyo Marui is building an indoor gaming field........rumour has it that it will be in one of thier old head quarter buildings with all the furniture left in it. but thats just rumour TM are keeping this one very close to thier chests.

1000 PLAYERS!??!?!?!

Here in US there's up to like 300 person events.

I see pics and events in europe of 600-650 (that berget thing and that big game in russia)

and now this!? HOly crappumongo!

Loads of people from the US came for this as well...... its basiclly a huge reinactment battle with airsoft.....will have to find pics as they had tanks and even a guy with a flame thrower (talk about pyros! but it was just for show not gamming)

As far as keeping it a secret goes, this is also true for most players I know, including myself. In a culture thats familiar with paintball, airsoft is easy to explain. You just say "its like paintball" and there you go. But here, it requires explanation to most non-geeks. I know a guy who has played for a decade, and has managed to keep it a secret from his wife even.

Heh, I sure as hell don't keep it secret. Hell, it's how I make a living! Then again, I have a very, different, family.

As far as the language barier goes, it's been a LONG time since I was in Japan, but back in '97 most high school kids had a fair if not great grasp of english. It is a required class afterall. Take a jap-english-jap dictionary. Even if you don't understand the grammer, it will help.

I believe, and correct me if i am wrong, english is a class japanese students have to take. It isn't like spanish in the US where u don't really learn the language. They acually can speak it quite well. My cousin is over there right now and he doesnt seem to have very many problems, he speak 0 japanese. (Again, correct me if i am wrong)

If u are into them, u can get a VERY nice katana, a sword, there for not too much. Like just find a blacksmith and have him make 1 for u. Shouldn't cost more than $500, which, for a good sword, isn't that much.

Also u gotta go check out the architeture. They have some wicked sick buildings over there.

Actually the sale of true katana are restricted, only 3 per swordsmith per year and only one for sale to forieners per year. Price in usually in the thousands of USD. And it's not the easy to "just find a blacksmith" either. Trust me, it's almost a lost art.

Thats a true shame. The katana is, in my opinion, the best, im not saying the most lethal but the best, weapon ever made. I know of a few people who have katanas that they got for a couple thousand dollors, and you can tell the amount of effort put into them.

Do you know why there is a restriction on the sales. Are other weapons restricted as well?

f u are into them, u can get a VERY nice katana, a sword, there for not too much. Like just find a blacksmith and have him make 1 for u. Shouldn't cost more than $500, which, for a good sword, isn't that much.

Holy smokes are you nuts? You will never find a new $500 katana. More like $5000 my friend.

You might be able to find an antique gunto for that much, but not a new, custom-forged shinken.

I don't want to come off like Mr. Japan Know-it-all, but I do have a little experience in the sword department. You see, I have been doing Kendo for a couple years. No real swords there, just bamboo dummy swords. BUT, at my dojo they also do Iaido (quickdraw) on Monday nights, and sometimes I go to watch and talk shop with these guys. All the Iaido guys use REAL swords, shinken. Cut your frickin' head off. I mean these things are sharp. Each one in the several thousand dollar range. Now, for beginners in Iaido, a blunted sword is used, called an Iaito. Usually these are zinc aluminum, could be steel. An aluminum Iaito cost between $700 and a grand.

So, if a blunt aluminum Iaito costs $700, how in heck could one find a blacksmith that could make you a real sword for $500?

Archived