MOLLE Question

Megalomaniac

Now, I'm looking to get some MOLLE gear but there is one thing that puzzles me, how do you attach the pouches and what not to the vest? I assume there is some kind of clip or strap, does these clips or straps come with most MOLLE pouches and what not, or do they have to be purchased seperately?

Also Could attach Pouches like these MOLLE Pop Flare Pouches get attached to a belt like this Basic Web Belt on there own or would I need Modular Leg Panel and a belt?

There are strips of material running across the vest, and similar ones across the back of the pouches.

At the top of the back of the pouch is a strip of material, usually stiffened, and usually with a popper at the bottom to hold it secure.

Basically, you place the pouch so that the strips of material on the back of the pouch 'interlock' with the ones on the vest (i.e. they're alternating - imagine them slotting together. You'll see what I mean when you get them).

Then you need to feed the 'strap' on the back (with the popper on it) between the strips on the back and on the vest, weaving it between them. This holds the pouch steady.

Clip the thing down with the popper at the end to hold it securely, and you're done.

Hard to describe, but that's the best I can do. It's much easier when you see it, trust me.

Oi, but all that kit is rather expensive I'm trying to keep my baseline gear (mag pouches and some other little stuff), under 60 shipped. Also to any US buyers what is a good site to order MOLLE Kit from? OpTactical only has the Blackhawk Pop Flare Pouches which are 17USD a pop.

Oddly enough, I happen to know of one...;)

Some SDS pouches will be hard to find for a while. They are in the process of filling another gi-normous order for the US government. SDS is decent gear, but since they're the supplier to the US armed forces, sometimes getting it can be tough.

HaVoc is 100% correct in his answers. I would add one piece of information that borders on trivia: only the issue MOLLE gear has a snap, because its covered by a patent. There are a few other systems that are compatible with the system. They all work, they're all compatible. Modular systems rule!

I know, I was trying to keep it simple ;)

It's also very true about only issue stuff having snaps. MALICE kit (Tactical Tailor and the like) will work equally well, and is easier to fit in my opinion. Removing it, on the other hand...

*nurses broken/cut thumbs*

There's also BTS I think, which I've never owned.

EDIT: And Maxpedition's attachment system, which I've heard is rather poor.

The little bit of Maxpedition I've come across has used MALICE clips. I'm not familiar with their other stuff. How do they go about attaching it?

I found what is probably the ultimate tool for MALCE clips, and I always have one with me: its the flat head screwdriver part of the Vicorinox file that comes on their small knives like the Classic and the Rambler. Its perfect for that. I always have one with me, along with a couple other knives, a wallet with a bottle opener built in, a Surefire E2E...but that's a whole other thread!

I hate attaching bloody MALICE stuff... <_<

Maxpedition use some bizarre attachment system of their own, I believe. For example, the PALS-equivalent strips on their rucksacks look too thick to work with PALS webbing pouches. Also, I believe you have to buy MALICE clips individually from the MaxPed pouches.

Speaking of MOLLE and MOLLE2, does anyone have a link to the specifications for construction of MOLLE gear? I've tried searching the web, using search terms of "molle" "specifications" "webbing", and "construction", but no joy.

I'm specificaly after the tech specs for the spacing of webbing straps, dimentions of webbing straps, etc. Anyone?

I'm specificaly after the tech specs for the spacing of webbing straps, dimentions of webbing straps, etc. Anyone?

That one's relatively easy. Its 1inch webbing, stitched one inch apart, with an inch between the bottom of one section and the top of the next; i.e. and inch between facing edges.

Archived