Sling Discussion

Gatestohell

from what I remember, crawling with a rifle of any sort, you cradle it in the nook of your arms (elbows).

Gets difficult with long rifles as obviously they are perpendicular to your direction of travel and stick out a long way.

best way i use is when your crawling fold your arms out in front of you and cradel the rifle with your hand pressing on the butt of the rifle and you other hand on the mag,

I use a standard 2 point viper sling for my vsr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say that it varies with the weapon and the person.

Most rifles were never designed to be fired while slung - the sling is there simply so you can hang it on a shoulder when you need to more around.

Tightening the sling around the off forearm certainly works, but you wouldn't want to relocate in a hurry - while could be a problem at airsoft ranges.

I use a three-point when sharpshooting, but that's down to the fact that I'm using an AUG assault rifle - designed for a three-point sling. My personal set up isn't Regulation, but I find that it works..

Loosen the clipped sling until you can comfortably shoulder the weapon from patrol-ready. (That's a little looser than is strictly comfortable, but allows you to react quickly).

You can still easily fire when prone, but unclipping the sling gets you a little more freedom to move. Just remember to grab the rifle with your off hand if you have to relocate in a hurry.

If you can, reclip before getting up - that way, you can use either hand to stabilise it, and the other to move aside foliage, etc., on the run.

OK, so I've just learned that the SA-80 sling isn't such a common design after all - having joined the Armalite crowd a couple of hours ago, I've tried every permutation possible, and it simply doesn't make a good sling for anything other than keeping the gun off of the ground.

Too damned short, no adjustment (this is a Viper version). Probably be workable - if a little long - on something with a collapsible stock. Other than that, it's unclipped all the way, unfortunately.

Time to get modding... :headbutt:

Archived