Sling Discussion

Gatestohell

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urm two point or l85 sling if the rifle can fit it.

The l85 is ideal because it allows you to store the sniper on your back tightly and securely and also improves aim.

Shooting slings are the worst invention ever and are only meant for compettitions as they are so unpractical.

Cheers

Pariah :sheep:

ps:BA, RM snipers use the l85 sling in combat.

Re: My previous post - It connect slightly differently due to the nature of the L85, but in all other respects it is operationally a 3 point sling.

Personnally, I wold have thought a 3 point was better as it would hold it tight to your body for moving, and loosen for shooting.

Any proper snipers care to comment?

It is probably because they can not figure out how to fit the l85 sling properly it is slightly different and it is better and more useful for snipers than the normal 3 point because it has the plastic clip which allows you to strap it tighlt to your back like on ghost recon2.

Also this completely eliminates rattle and makes secondarys weapons viable to use and makes it harder to damge the gun in urban and woodland environments when it is slung.

Cheers

Speaking from sniping experience gathered while shooting lots of various fluffy creatures, I can't see ANY point in a sniper using a 3 point sling. You aren't gonna be carrying the gun at a low-ready or port arms so why'd you need it?

Besides that, you can brace your rifle a lot better by making correct use of a 2 point sling (wrapping it around your front arm) than you ever get from a 3 point sling.

The length of the sling on my hunting rifle has nothing at all to do with how it's slung. The length is set so I can wrap it around my arm, then angle my elbow out slightly and create a solid brace to shoot from.

But hey, that's just me. ;)

That is indeed the best way to hunt and such.

But the situation that snipers find them selves in requires stowage of weapon for moving fast and silently. Sometimes need to crawl long distances without holding there sniper. Etc if you are going for a classic field BA sniper look then l85 3 point all the way. Shooting slings are for comps only and 2 point good only for helping with shooting and if you always plan on using your sniper.

Cheers

But the situation that snipers find them selves in requires stowage of weapon for moving fast and silently.  Sometimes need to crawl long distances without holding there sniper.  Etc if you are going for a classic field BA sniper look then l85 3 point all the way.  Shooting slings are for comps only and 2 point good only for helping with shooting and if you always plan on using your sniper.

Cheers

Can't really recall the last time I crawled more than a couple of feet during an airsoft game.

Beyond that, I can't really see how a 3 point sling would help you in that situation.

The only use of a 3 point sling while crawling would be a climbers-carry and I wouldn't fancy that for 2 reasons.

1) If you were required to roll onto your back then you'd be stuffed.

2) You have no control over the gun. You have no way of knowing if it's gonna get tangled in foliage or wire, if you're crawling under a fence, or (worst case) something might get snagged in the trigger and end up shooting the guy behind you.

The only thing the Army teach you to do with a rifle, while crawling, is clutch it in both hands in front of you as you crawl.

You are in a position to shoot it if you need to. You can drop it or alter your hold on it in order to traverse obstacles and, most importantly, you can see it so you know what it's doing.

oh, and shooting slings are actually better than bipods, just so you know. used one for the first time last week at .22 rimfire targets, and my groupings were better than ever. wraping a two-point 'round your arm basically does the same thing, forms a very very secure 'triangle' and the sling takes most of the weight.

2-point FTW!

A two point sling is personally the only way to sling a sniper rifle. As when you are stalking then why would you want your gun on your back? Its alot more movement to bring it to bear than when stalking with it in your hands. It does depend on the firing posistion whether i use a sling or not, if i do it gets wrapped round my arm.

Archived