Sling Discussion

Gatestohell

Also, when you snipe, do u take the sling off when ur in a shooting position?

ok from what i've seen in airsoft most snipers will shoot from the bog standard prone position rather than any other position. so it really depend what position you use. It all depends on what you have tried and tested, if i say do this you may find a better way. as for stalking with the sling on it again depends on the situation.

but in airsoft i guess using a sling would be useful.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 or 3 point?

I haven't seen very many snipers that use 3 point slings...  But prove me wrong...

And whats your tactic, take it off when in combat?  How do you sling it, on ur back?  Barrel up or down?  I've seen so many different ways...  I just want to know what others do.

i use a 2 point sling, when im moving quickly from one posistion to another i had it slung over my shouldre barrell pointed up with pistol in hand,

and in fact if moving slowley to a posistion i cannot see i do the same.

only cos i cant shoot anything within 20m :(

S&L, slings are not impractical, you just need to adjust them right. If you have to traverse difficlut terrian its nice to be able to stow you rifle and clamber up or over using your hands and still have the rifle easily accessible. Also its a good thing to know that if in the middle of a fire fight you realize your AEG is jammed you can drop, it draw your pistol keep going.

Slings are perfectly practical for combat but not practical for shooting.

On the topic of a 2 or 3 point sling for a sniper rifle, most airsoft snipers will say 2-point off the bat because of the fact they've never used a 3-point sling on their own rifle. However 3-point slings do exist for sniper rifles and real life snipers have been using them for a while now.

For the merits and detractors of the 3-point sniper sling you'll really need to ask someone who actually uses or has used both to get a proper evaluation.

In the mean time 2-point slings are a tried and true piece of equipment.

On another note; If you do get a 3-point sling I'd recommend getting one with a 1.5-2" webbing strap. 1" webbing slings such as the issue SA80's sling tend to dig into the shoulder and neck uncomfortably with heavier guns.

well, I made a Biathlon style sling for my M24, works just like a rucksack harness and has a quick release buckle on one of the straps to aid quick removal over a shoulder.

Carries brilliantly, falling slightly to one side. Its very comfortable and makes for easy passage through even dense foliage.

Allows you to move easily while carrying a small sidearm (MP5K in my case). and when in position, swing the rifle into place and make the shot.

The l85 sling is the best for any weapon that it can fit on no question about all slings pale in comparison.

The reason you would want your gun on your back is because before snipers in the BA have needed to crawl literally miles and it being on their backs keeps it out the way also if you plan to use a sidearm to clear a building then a 2 point is annoying.

Only the l85 sling is used on all British armed forces weapons for all purposes. The collective experience of millions of British servicemen say to use the sling off the l85 that slightly outweighs your personal preferences. Also i have it on authority from a RM sniper who has recently served in Iraq that the l85 sling is used by most forces serving in Iraq.

I think some confusion is coming from the fact that l85 sling is a different 3 point sling not a normal or tactical one.

I also think the fact that the French and Germans and the Russians and the British use it kind of beats all your arguments down

Cheers

Pariah :sheep:

Or perhaps they use it because its a: "issue" b: cheap to buy should you lose your issued one...

Me, i've used Specter Gear (formerly CQB Solutions) BHI, Specops and Issue SA80 slings. Ive used 1 pt on a CQBR, 2 pt on M16a2's and 3 pt on M4's and MP5's It horses for courses. What will suit one person will not neccessarily suit another - so sweeping statements as "The l85 sling is the best for any weapon that it can fit on no question about all slings pale in comparison." dont ring true with me...

Why do we all not just agree to disagree.

And actually the l85 is the most expensive after leather slings but in all fairness leather slings are gay. Also the fact that the sling mounts where changed on the l85 specifically so they would this sling which surpassed all other types of sling in tests by the army and the RAF regiment.

Cheers

Errr... wasn't really an argument, just advise. And it isn't just my opinion. Don't British snipers use those bag things? Slings are good if you have to carry a heavy gun around all day, but remember this is airsoft. Like I said I do use a sling I just warp it around my guy when actauly playing (CQB is another story).

The most expensive after leather slings? are you havin' a giraffe mate? its a MoD contract purchase, therefore cheap as it can get. Ive got 10 years experience of working in MoD, i know how the purchasing system works!

http://www.elementconcepts.com/lab_sa80sling.php

useful guide on the SA80 sling - and how to fit it.

Don't British snipers use those bag things? Slings are good if you have to carry a heavy gun around all day, but remember this is airsoft.

Erm bag things :huh:

anyway the sling if bought from the Factory who makes them is actuallt very expensive. Around £20 the reason the MOD get them cheap is because they order them in bulks of 10000 i know people through out the military. I could find out almost anything about it. In fact i have yet to be proved wrong about anything.

Cheers

ps:the fact that at the top of that guide it says how amazing the sling is really says alot as well.

On the topic of a 2 or 3 point sling for a sniper rifle, most airsoft snipers will say 2-point off the bat because of the fact they've never used a 3-point sling on their own rifle. However 3-point slings do exist for sniper rifles and real life snipers have been using them for a while now.

For the merits and detractors of the 3-point sniper sling you'll really need to ask someone who actually uses or has used both to get a proper evaluation.

Well, that's all very cryptic but doesn't really tell us anything.

Do you have an example of how a 3 point sling might be particularly useful or better than a 2 point sling?

Or is it all a bit hush-hush, eyes-only and all that?

Very expensive - £20? depends on your definition of expensive really!

Shoot & Loot - they're (unimaginatively) called Drag Bags....

I could find out almost anything about it. In fact I have yet to be proved wrong about anything.

Never stick your head out too far - there is always someone around that will cut it off for ya ;)

Pariah wolf im not having a moan or anything but

I'm going through a British Army sniper course at the moment. And have alot of mates who are snipers.

anyway.....

i would never sling my weapon when stalking. Why? because if i needed to whisk one off in an emercency then i would have to ###### around getting the thing off my back, also it is far more likely to get caught on foilage, fences, etc.

And the less movement you can make the better, having to remove your gun off your back is a very large movement.

anyway the sniper has a choice to choose how he wants to do this that and the other. If someone wants to sling their rifle on their back fine thats up to them, but i wouldn't do it personally. Its all down to trial.

As for the 3 point sling business i will have an ask round. may even try it.

sorry to rant :P

right im off out for the night

I never said anything about stalking.

But in situations such as the falklands and Iraq snipers have had to do some pretty odd things where a 2 point sling is useless and just gets in the way. If you are going to an airsoft skirmish then a 2 point is probably best because you will not encounter the kind of situations that occur in real combat situations, not to mention that you will not be holding the gun for more than a couple of hours in stead of days on end.

Recently troops from the royal marines on a training exercise leopard/commando crawled 2.3k try that with a weapon in your hands.

like i have already said all i have said has come from snipers serving in the BA and RM.

Cheers

from what I remember, crawling with a rifle of any sort, you cradle it in the nook of your arms (elbows).

Gets difficult with long rifles as obviously they are perpendicular to your direction of travel and stick out a long way.

Generally, I only sling my rifle when I have a good idea that I am not going to need it. If there is potential for a snap shot to be required, I carry it, or take the snap shot with a sidearm.

Archived