Dumbing Down

Hissing_Sid

Just watching the weather on TV.

For the benefit of foreigners, Brits love to talk about the weather.

Anybody remember when Michael Fish used to do the weather and he'd be talking about Isobars and Low Pressure Fronts. They'd explain how thermal currents were causing weather fronts to sweep in from the north and bring squalls and showers with them.?

I was watching the TV weather tonight.

A skinny girl in a short skirt made some cr@ppy joke about umbrellas while, behind her was a huge graphic of the British Isles.

Superimposed over the map were the words "Not a bad weekend ahead."

WTF?

I have this image of an old man suffering from lung cancer sitting in his home, thinking about his dead wife, with a huge pile of bills and wondering where his next meal is coming from reading that and thinking "Oh, well. That's alright then!"

Just thought I'd share that.

The weather reporters over here have gotten pretty condescending as well. I was watching the weather, and the guy explained what the cloud symbol with the raindrops under it meant. "Which means it will probably be raining". It was like he was talking to 4 year olds.

I can directly relate modern weather reporting to Blues Clues.

Aaron

oh well.

Bottom line is that the majority of the population are just mindless consumers. They like being spoonfed information. And the producer is probably thinking *I'm doing so well, I've worked out what the weekend is going to be like!!!*

And quite possibly poor breeding too. :P

I suppose most people wouldn't care anyway, if you know what I mean. They just drink and go out innit? If it rains I'll call the cab innit?

sor'ed.

etc

EDIT: also, the broadcasting companies probably are a bit short on budget... they'll just employ numpties who'd work for peanuts, whilst the proper scientists are busy slaving away at a REAL meteorological ... "place"... where clever people do their homework for us. :D

I hate that new wandering map they have for the BBC weather now. Let's be brutally honest, you used to look at the symbol nearest to where you live and completely ignore the weathercaster, right?

But now the map scrolls around like I'm playing Command & Conquer, and I can't see what the weather will be like in Hertfordshire because I'm zoomed in on Devon for some *fruitcage* reason. And the map is now covered in grey and blue blobs. Jesus wept...

Not that it matters though, it's always bloody wrong. AG05 was meant to be cool and cloudy :lol: I packed a fleece and an Arctic smock!

lol at Doc

It's more like Medieval Totalwar: Viking Invasion or something....

Great game. And the pre-battle weather forecast never fails. :lol:

I don't mind it really... but it's not just wether reports now is it? It's a wide spectrum of the tele world that's going *let's spoonfeed!*

Instead of wacky or sassy programmes like Red Dwarf or Farscape... we get silly dramas to watch where the plot is so spelled out you could predict the next season and what the director is probabyl wearing that day. lol

So yeah... it's worst with childrens cartoons. Why brainwash them with Ren and Stimpy (nothing wrong with the loud crazy toons but) when you can at least try to put more [edit] effORT into making programmes?

I think it's still down to budget.

But then... Blackadder never had Hollywood budgets and it still rocked.

I think people don't care anymore. It's like why buy healthy barn chicken when you can eat fatty battery farmed fock-burnt chicken?

Archived