Yeah, this is as emo as it gets for me.

sp00n

I'll reply to the question of why American cars break down all the time.

When you drive across England, it's probably about 6-8 hours, right?

When you drive across America, it's normally 6 to 8 days, right?

For me to get to where I'm moving to, it's a 4 hour drive, one way. That means to go back and fourth, it's 8 hours of Highway driving. Roughly, 250~ miles one way.

Thats 500 miles in a trip.

I've done that 5 times.

My trip to work, just to work, is 19 miles. Then, above that I drive around lot, with a rather large trailer in tow. (Roughly, I could probably hold 3 'normal' euro cars on it.) Because I am a landscaper. Which is why on my last truck, which is a 'typical' american gas hog, it lost it's tranny around 73k miles.

My mom's car, is a Saab. She let the brakes go a little too far, and warped her rotars on the car. She put 50k miles on it in about... 3 years, give or take. I highly doubt any brit car doesnt put 10,000 miles a year on it. Mainly: Where the hell would you go that much in England? It's not that big.

I would guess, Americans drive more, farther, then a Brit. Which would be why, we break down more.

I dont really buy that argument :P Just because the actual country is bigger, doesnt meant you drive across it ever week ;)

Good british cars? TVRs are quite nice arent they? MGs (stop laughing)?

The best cars around are mainly made in europe.. italy, germany, france or the far east. I dont think either the UK or US have a lot going for them outside of a few rare examples.

I dont really buy that argument :P Just because the actual country is bigger, doesnt meant you drive across it ever week ;)

The best cars around are mainly made in europe.. italy, germany, france or the far east. I dont think either the UK or US have a lot going for them outside of a few rare examples.

Ive found alot of US car companies to be good. Especially Chevys I dont know but my famliy has had mostly all chevorlets and they have seemed to do just fine, although Im no car expert seeing as Im only 14.

No, but I do drive around 500 miles a week durring the summer. My truck stays parked mostly durring the fall/winter/spring because I'm in college, and I live only about 5 miles a way from my University. And between getting food and such, I would be I'd only drive... 40-50 miles a week. Then, occasional trips out of town and back home, is another 400~ miles (back home.)

I just got my new truck in January. It had 10,013 miles on it when I started it up for the first time. It's now September, and it has 20,0119 miles on it. About 9 months later too. So, thats over 1000 miles a month. How many people in England drive 1000 miles a month really?

And for good American cars.. eh. better off buying a BMW.

Trucks, Diesel Powered, muscle cars are where America more or less shines.

International, Detriot Diesel, Cummins, CAT - Best Diesel Engines in the world. Hands down. Yes, Yanmar (japanese) Isn't bad. But, I would take a CAT or International any day over them.

Trucks: Needless to say, Ford, Dodge, Chevy are the only ones that make a 3/4+ ton truck.

Muscle cars: Corvette, Mustang, Charger - Need I say more?

No, but I do drive around 500 miles a week durring the summer. My truck stays parked mostly durring the fall/winter/spring because I'm in college, and I live only about 5 miles a way from my University. And between getting food and such, I would be I'd only drive... 40-50 miles a week. Then, occasional trips out of town and back home, is another 400~ miles (back home.)

I just got my new truck in January. It had 10,013 miles on it when I started it up for the first time.  It's now September, and it has 20,0119 miles on it. About 9 months later too. So, thats over 1000 miles a month.  How many people in England drive 1000 miles a month really?

And for good American cars.. eh. better off buying a BMW.

Trucks, Diesel Powered, muscle cars are where America more or less shines.

International, Detriot Diesel, Cummins, CAT - Best Diesel Engines in the world. Hands down.  Yes, Yanmar (japanese) Isn't bad. But,  I would take a CAT or International any day over them.

Trucks: Needless to say, Ford, Dodge, Chevy are the only ones that make a 3/4+ ton truck.

Muscle cars: Corvette, Mustang, Charger - Need  I say more?

Word.

I don't see a tiny little miata towing around a trailer with lawn mowers, or equipment on it. Such as Mini-excavaters or Skidloaders...

You'd be surprised how often people actually use Trucks for work.

And, above that. My F350 I use for work gets like 26 mph high way. Thats better then alot of small car.

As for the muscle cars.. well, they're for fun.

And, above that. My F350 I use for work gets like 26 mph high way. Thats better then alot of small car.

From a quick google on a few common small cars (petrol versions as well, not diesel)..

Ford focus - 55mpg

Vauxhall/Opel Astra - 57mpg

Toyota Corolla - 42mpg

:P

How many people in England drive 1000 miles a month really?

according to the last figures I saw that's bang on the average for a Brit, welcome to the club :D

That annoys me. My student halls were right neat to this really posh school, and walking to Uni every morning you'd see the little posh kids getting dropped off by their parents. Typically, it'd be a mum driving a huge 4x4, and all that's in it is her and a baby seat in the back. She'd only be dropping off one or two kids as well. When did driving a huge pointless 4x4 become such a status symbol?

Same time as anything became a status symbol. There's many reasons people prefer to drive 4x4's, some are true (better visibility because you're higher), some aren't (safer because they're bigger), but at the end of the day we're lucky enough to live in a country where we enjoy something known as freedom of choice.

Smeg.

?

My trip to work, just to work, is 19 miles. .

I would guess, Americans drive more, farther, then a Brit.  Which would be why, we break down more.

Bought my new car on 18th of March, now has 8900 miles on it, my trip to work and back is 58 miles a day, my last car had 60,000 miles put on it in 38 months, never needed any parts, the one before had 77,000 miles in 44 months never needed any parts.

Japanese cars FTW!

um, who said they were?

but that just sounds like BS.  Source for your "fact"?

Its simple, ... look at how many people have died because their 4x4 has gone out of control.

a 4x4 has not got a *beep* engine built in, but a powerful one, and itshard to belive how so few a people know what these things are capable of.

Its simple, ... look at how many people have died because their 4x4 has gone out of control.

a 4x4 has not got a *beep* engine built in, but a powerful one, and itshard to belive how so few a people know what these things are capable of.

Well, I just went for a wander up and down the street (OK, I went to the shop) and I didn't see anybody flying off cliffs having underestimated the power... so can you point me to where I can see these amazing facts?

But you're so right about the power, mine's got a rather hefty (wait for it, wait for it....) 2.4litre Turbo diesel nestling away under the bonnet. That chucks out a rather impressive 97bhp I think which will take it from 0-100kph in 8.8seconds according to the stats I can find (and don't believe!).

So much more dangerous than the old Sierra I used to have, that only had 120bhp and weighed half as much and.... oh hang on, that was the easier to lose control of....

Show me the FACTS to back up your arguements and maybe I'll take them more seriously.

Smeg.

Archived