L98A1

Lance Jackass

This project is back from the dead! http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/8...hopscr1009.html Im using this gun as a base for the parts dimensions and adding some nice realsteel parts to it. Also im using realsteel mags with STAR internals (10 should do lol.)

My main problem now is- where can i get a springer hop up unit from? Basically i need a hop unit that feeds from behing like in a gbb or spring pistol.

That's the kicker, all right.

Thought of using Thermold, myself (the stuff from Maplin that softens at low temperature).

The downside is that it's very white, and noone seem to know how to reliably dye it.

As you know from the link that you sent me, the RS parts can be a "little" pricy :(

A couple of things that you guys will need to know:

The P90 gearbox is thinner and will fit inside a standard SA80. However, the trigger release is in front of the gearbox and interferes with the area where the magazine goes. Overcoming this involves fitting relays and other electrical gubbins.

If you use the barrel as a "centreline" then no Armalite hop-up has a long enough feed tube to reach to the top of the mag. It's about 7mm too short. You'll either need to extend it or do something else (like by an Academy SA80).

You'll probably want to use Armalite mag's. This adds more misery to the above problem cos the location of the mag catch means you can't push the mag further up into the gun.

If you want to replicate the Fire Select on the SA80 then the Academy gearbox is the ONLY way to go. A FA-MAS gearbox won't cut it.

Just thought I'd share that. :)

Cheers sid and hairy.

I only need one plastic part to be build- thats the cadet gp cocking handle. The others are fairly cheap and available.

Since the GP is single shot then i dont have any gearbox worries, and if im using SA80 (real steel) mags with STAR internals then hopefully they should reach fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd ignored it.

Wouldn't find me posting to a long-dead thread like this. Particularly with something quite so inane (something on the lines of "best thing to come out of Newbury was Swampy, and he took years" ;) )

Erm. Oh.. :o

:lol:;) No harm meant....

As this has already been re opened I'd just like to point out that the L98A1 isn't single shot, it's got a mag capacity of 30. Single shot meens a weapon holds one round, not the common misconception around these parts that if its not auto or semi its single shot.

Potato, Patato... Ok, so it doesn't work when I type it.

I seem to understand that single shot means that the action has to be worked each time to load a bullet... You have some very odd definitions for double/single action and single shot now. ;)

Potato, Patato... Ok, so it doesn't work when I type it.

I seem to understand that single shot means that the action has to be worked each time to load a bullet... You have some very odd definitions for double/single action and single shot now.  ;)

Not odd, just technically correct. Lots of modern terminology currently used is infact a bastardization (probably spelt that wrong) of the technically correct terms.

• 3 months later...

Im in my school's CCF unit. I have come of our annual camp, and experienced only 2 stoppages with the same L98A1; which is easily 10 years old atleast, (Not counting empty magasines) , both while firing blanks. But I fired around 100-200 blanks, with not as much cleaning as would normally be recommended, ut with plenty of oil. Personally I love the weapon.

Yet to do the L86 course.

Btw, I am just a mere Cadet, but with L. Corpral in my sight.

I cant understand why people defend the L85A1 and A2 by saying "oh but it works if you keep it properly cleaned", surely you need to do that with 90% of firearms, sounds like a copout to me is all. michael_collins Dec 6 2004, 04:25 PM

One of the reasons the l85 jams is because the magazines where designed to be disposable so where made from cheap thin metal however budget cuts meant the army could not afford to replace so many magazines each year so just reused old ones, this meant that they got dented so the rounds did not always feed properly. This has now been rectified by starting to issue new thicker higher quality magazines. Reports from iraq suggest this has cuts down on jams.

Also the need for cleaning is significantly greater for the l85 because it is so precisely made. Whereas alternatives such as the m16 requires less cleaning but is also alot less accurate. The l85 is so accurate that the army had to change how it records markmanship when it was introduced.

Also from 2524 atc also like to add why would u want to make possibly the most annoying gun to use ever.

The A2 magazines feed fine. And the problem with the A1s was that you can easily damage the feed lips or knacker the spring etc. Plus the profile of the top fake round wasnt quite right anyway. The new A2s cant have the top bit unevenly pressed so theres much less chance of a blockage.

Back on topic...im not sure whether to bother custom building. I really want an LSW but im not sure now with the VCR and money etc...

Archived