L98A1

Lance Jackass

Yeach. L98 - not a nice gun. We use them occassionally at CCF and...eurgh.

I think it's pretty universal in our section that we want M16s :P

Still, if you MUST have one (for training or something), then you should just buy an L85 springer and maybe some Milliput. Mix the Milliput and you could perhaps make some kind of dodgy parts from it.

Yer tell me about it. I dont see why the ACF get to use blanks n stuff and we don't. How gay.

But i guess thats life.

BTW what rank are you Un_FriendlyFire?

Yer I agree with you Carver (Vindicare) oh how much i'd love to use the L86 or even the L85 on days out for shooting.

[Hate what they have done with the Shooting badges and stuff now, I'd rather keep my Beloved RAF Marksman badge]

Keeping weapons clean is great on the range...where you talk about using them. I've never had a single stoppage on the range. But when i got 13 stoppages in 13 rounds was in the field on blank firing exercise. I know how to cock the weapon properly im a L/Cpl in the ACF, i teach people how to use the things. Also yes it was clean, i'd allready cleaned it thoroughly cleaned it twice that day.

No one likes to accept that L98s are ###### when you put blanks in them, but its the truth, because i've never had a problem with live. ATC allways complain about hardly doing any blank firing, but if you wanted to run around and shoot blanks then ACF would have been better for you. But i guess your more into flying and those sort of activities.

That sounded bitchy but it wasnt meant to be. My problems with the L98 airsoft version are:

-The SA80 flash eliminator on the barrel

-Finding an ironsight version cheap enough

-Swopping the rear ironsight for a a cadet rear leaf sight

-Building a replica cocking handle and extension + fitting it to the airsoft piston

-Making weapon controls (Bolt release catch etc.) work

-Fitting an original foregrip to the main body

-Upgrading it internally

Has anyone got any ideas? cheers

have to agree on the almost predictable L98 stoppages, been a while since i was in the ACF getting old now you see, but we where on annual camp up in Catterick and while out on exercise using blanks we had 15 rounds, first 5 or 6 went through no problems but then it ###### down with rain and the rest pretty much jammed once the action got a spot of water on it, so there you go ###### ###### and more ######, and yes the weapon had been cleaned about 3 hours earlier, the newer models are supposed to be better but i woudnt know about that so no comment

They only work when theres no rain, and then only if theres no dust around or mud. All of these laboratory style conditions are found on modern battlefields of course. There was a time where i prayed for 3 mags but now i know that it won't work after 5 rounds so theres no point!

Back to my post....can anyone help me?

yea....they just doesnt work.....got like 15 stopage the other day in the field.....and this is a single shot weapon...I can't see how they've manage to do this.....

talking about RAF shooting badges....wht've they changed?

I hated the marking system thou....cuz I got 90 out of 90 but I still got the same marksman badge as some 80/90 guy....which is not fair....

• 4 weeks later...

I thought about that, as part of the LSW project.

The basics are easy - a simple bit of metal sheet, punched & folded.

The hard part is all of the "extra" stuff on the side (e.g. the workings for the port cover - I assume that it's present?)

I looked at doing just the top half, but have shelved the idea for the moment. This might come back, depending upon how I end up making the custom hand guard, and mounting the front barrel "strut" - I might end up needing the space in the receiver for the battery!

Eventually i want to have a custom l98a1 and an lsw. Ive found websites where you can buy the parts but its £85 for an lsw bipod and £55 for a forend. Ouch! The workings for the port cover would be ripped off a springer rifle. Im looking at getting a springer rifle then using that as amodel to make the metalbody from. Is it possible without a workshop of tools? I mean is there any lathe work etc involved?

Hokay. The biggie is the width of the body - from everyone I've spoken to (including Steve at Combat South, who's made one), the springer is modelled on the standard L85. Which is too narrow to take a FA-MAS gearbox.

I've heard that the P90 'box is thinner, but I haven't seen a P90-based SA80.

I have seen a couple of FA-MAS based L85s based on the Academy AEG. In fact, when I get around to diddling with the TM gearbox, I'll have one myself. An LSW, if everything goes to plan :unsure:

If you're going to pop a P90 gearbox in there, you're going to have to replace the hop up unit with a different one, I believe the M4 would work fine.

I've heard from a few people that have done this, but I don't remember their email addresses at the moment.....

Archived