building GBB from upgrade parts

Sgt. Stinger

Well, my question is what the topic says :D

Can you build a GBB pistol from scratch from upgrade parts alone? I feel it would be cheaper than to buy a gun and upgrade it later, only using some minimal parts from the original gun such as trigger, trigger spring, hammer and such... Am I right or wrong?

In theory, yes you could, but I reckon it would cost a lot more than to buy a new gun.

For example, when I was consideirng my M15A4 (not a GBB, but this is an example):

Metal Body: £110

Carry Handle: £50

Outer Barrel: £44

Pistol Grip: £20

Total cost: £224

Whereas I can get a full gun with these exact parts plus stock, front end bits, all the internals (probably equal to another £200), and a hi-cap for £220!

So there are some parts you just cant get on most guns?

It was mostly a hypothetical question since I probably wont afford airsoft until I get a job after I'm done with school...

How ever, if you could build it from upgrade parts, I'm pretty sure it would be a fun thing to try, since I'm quite mechanical minded so to say.

xp67: how was the quality of the upgrade parts compared to the stock metal parts? were the upgrade parts for the same gun you wound up buying?

I think that the durability/looks/performance of the gun would be so much more satisfying if you built it of upgrade parts rather than buying it in full metal from the factory...

Well, at least for GBB pistols!

I have looked at quite a few friends airsoft pistols, and compared the factory full metal model compared to the custom slide/frame full metal, and quality and looks on the "factory" aren't even near the same as the "upgraded" as far as i can tell...

It would definitely be fun building one from the ground up, but as the guys above have said, things like hop chambers and blow back assemblies arent available for literally any gbbs as an off the shelf item.

I spose if you managed to get the bits like that second hand, and then buy the rest of the bits from retailers it would be possible. Definitely wouldnt be a cheap or easy task though !

Well I'm planning to build a full metal WA 1911 (SCW2), most of the parts are available for it but I wanted to the option of being able to build it in stages - a full metal 1911 costs a small fortune to put together too :P

So I bought I've bought the gun first. Soon I'll be buying a frame and slide and then I'll address the other areas such as the barrel, grips, hammer. In the meantime I got a 1911 to plink around with :D

xp67: how was the quality of the upgrade parts compared to the stock metal parts? were the upgrade parts for the same gun you wound up buying?

The parts I listed were all stock parts. They are the same as those which would come with a new gun

The body parts that the M15A4's come with don't really need upgrading.

I did consider replacing the damaged parts on my old M15A4 with new parts, but as you can see - as soon as I saw that it would not be worth it I bought a brand new one and split the old one for parts.

Well, that sounds like reasonable thinking :D

Im graduating from my gymnasium school in the summer (no its not got anything to do with athletics, its just called that in Sweden for unknown weird reasons :P), so maybe then I'll get a job to pay for all my cravings (including new computer, lots o' airsofts and hopefully a car)

Dunno. Some of the KWA guns have every part available online somewhere if you look. They won't all be upgrade parts, but you could proably buy all the bits for at least a few guns off the top of my head and assemble them into a working piece.

What you should do is get a stock one, then piece at a time upgrade it completely. Then take all your stock parts and build a second gun.

So if I can accept some standard parts it will be possible at least on KWA guns :P

I know that you can buy lots of factory parts for the HFC m190 series, wich as far as I can remember is a mauri clone... i have at least seen blowback assembly for it...

As much cheaper it had been to just buy a new HFC m190 full metal, I dont really like the paint finnish on those guns, + i like the m9 look over the elite look.

Archived