Shotgun Opinions

Handsome Pete

Which would you buy?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you buy?

• TM M3 Super Benelli
    • Maruzen M1100 defender (revison)

Im thinking about purchasing one of the above shotguns, and because i know little to nothing about it i would just like YOUR opinions.

I like the reliability and price of the TM but a shell ejecting, gas shotty sounds awesome. Im not bothered about magazine fed shotguns (UTG etc) but please feel free to suggest any other cartridge fed shotgun within a similar price range. Thanx

P.S: Please do not suggest 'Use the search button' no matter how tempting it may seem. ;)

Why do you want a shotgun?

I know that sounds a bit of a pointless question, but it's very relavent. Is this to look cool and plink with, or skirmishing?

Unless you have a LOT of shells, the M1100 is going to be very difficult to skirmish with, plus it's not green gas compatible which will make your FPS very low.

The TM benelli is more reliable, and a better skirmish tool IMHO.

soz...yer need to make it clearer. I would be skirmishing withit yes, but i want to combine a bit or realism in it too (i.e. shells ejecting, pumpaction etc). So it doesn't take green? thats a bummer. ok, which shell full stock shottie does? :huh:

Erm....you do realise that the m1100 is not a pump action, nor full stocked?

The only full stock pump action shell ejecting shotties currently availiable are the Marushin Mariner

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...ML_cat_Shotguns

The marushin guards gun

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...MG_cat_Shotguns

and the Tanaka Trench gun

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...TG_cat_Shotguns

As far as I'm aware, none of these are particularly happy about using green gas.

You've then got the semi automatic full stock shell ejecting M1100.

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...BS_cat_Shotguns

This can handle green seals wise, but it has MAJOR internal problems because of the semi automatic feed - green makes it cycle so fast it jams or breaks in short order.

The same applies to the m100 revision.

And of course, becasue you're dealing with a shell ejector, the most you'll get is 7 shots before needing to reload, plus you will ineveitably loose shells, even with a shell catcher.

The only person I know that uses one as a primary skirmish weapon has over 100 shells, which works out at almost £200. :blink::blink:

I can't state this enough - shell ejecting shotguns are not effective skirmish tools. Get the TM benelli for a nice compromise between realsim and practicality.

ack if you're skirmishing with it stay away from shell ejecting ones unless you're

a ) rich like me :P and don't mind buying new shells after every game (you will loose a few shells and some get damaged)

b ) don't mind running around with a big bag stapped to the side of your shotty

What I suggest you get is one of these magazine fed ones, something like this:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...0F_cat_Shotguns

but if you change your mind and decided you want a sping powered one; of the TM ones is probably the best

(edited to make better sense :P)

Erm....you do realise that the m1100 is not a pump action, nor full stocked?

The only full stock pump action shell ejecting shotties currently availiable are the Marushin Mariner

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...ML_cat_Shotguns

As far as I'm aware, none of these are particularly happy about using green gas.

The M500 will handle green, but it isn't shell ejecting.

If you've got a fair bit of moolah to spend and don't mind picking the shells up (and as pointed out, you'll need a lot of 'em!) then get the M1100. If it's a workhorse "No frills" boomstick you're after, then go for the Benelli. Personally i'd take TM's offerings for the simple fact is that with a shell hopper, you're gonna be spending as much time looking for the shells that have been fired, rather than Marui's 1 shell-10-shots-of-3 jobbie (i wouldn't like to be in woodland trying to find X amount of shells in the grass 10 feet or so from where you "Think" you were)

Besides, everyone else calls them and i quote "3-barrelled-sniper-rifles" due to the range you can get from the Benelli and SPAS, which technically means they'll be great for woodland and/or Urban gaming (they also hurt like hell in Close Quarters!)

I've got a TM Spas 12 and am fairly happy with its performance, however I don't personally think that a mere three bb's per shot really gives a shotgun like effect. In my case I decided however that this drawback far outweighed the fact that with my ability to loose things an ejecting gas shell shotgun would be very expensive to use in terms of replacement shells.

I've got a TM Spas 12 and am fairly happy with its performance, however I don't personally think that a mere three bb's per shot really gives a shotgun like effect.  In my case I decided however that this drawback far outweighed the fact that with my ability to loose things an ejecting gas shell shotgun would be very expensive to use in terms of replacement shells.

True, i too own a SPAS 12 and wish for more "Spread", but as a replica in a CQB/Urban game, 3 BB's is better than 1 BB ;)

I own a TM Super 90 (full stock) and allthough it isnt as realistic as the gas shotties,its very reliable and has excellent range, mines taken quite a battering but it shoots fine. One thing however the full stock version has a huge outer barrel which is fine but even though there is 3 inner barrels this longer outer barrel acts like a funnel and groups the shots much closer so it makes it shoot like a pump action sniper rifle! So a good remedy is, get a hack saw like i did cut off the outer barrel just ahead of the pump, and you have a much more maneuvrable shottie with a much better spread of the bb's. It worked for me but its upto you matey.

Rob...

Or another option he could take (if he's not too good with a hacksaw) is to buy the M3 "Shorty". The outer barrel is much closer to the end of the inner barrels.

Yeah there also very good two people in my team use them there identical i just prefer a stock i can then shoulder it and get a decent rof than the stockless version, but it has the plus of being less cumbersome when slung over your shoulder as a secondary.

Tokyo Marui.

They are simply solid performing guns.

Until they break. I'm not really sure about this one, I'v heard nightmare stories of them breaking in next to no time everywhere however I'v owned my M3 shorty for about 6 months now and it seems to be fine. I'v skirmished with it twice and about 3000 bb's have gone through it, I know that for sure.

However, if you believe the Benelli's are a cheap alternative to AEG's they're not! You will need at least 6 shells to skirmish at all and I'd say a shell holder webtex thing or bandoleer. 'Bout 60 quid more, so pushing 200 and past.

I'v fired many AEG's and considered buying one but then fell in love with the idea of buying the RIS heavy-weight rail for my M3 and 3 tightbore barrels. That will be it. I believe after these 2 it will be a true shotgun monster. Once I'v done it I will post pictures of it with the RIS rail. (which is rare) Never seen a pic of one fitted.

Performance wise, the bb's fly at a sure 265 - 270 fps out of the box (chronoed, 0.20's) and the centre bb will fly for about 45 - 50 foot before dropping, but 6 months has had its toll in mine which incited me to buy the tightbores to at least give it a little more punch in fps back to its original or a little past and tighten up the groupings a little.

I have a full review on the M3 shorty in the review archive.

Dude you have to stop posting this ###### in every thread about shotguns. TM shotguns do not have a reputation for "breaking in next to no time". I've owned a SPAS for about 6 months (upgraded too, which you're not supposed to do lest the TM shotgun gremlins destroy your gun :rolleyes: ) and it performs as well as the day I bought it (and, please note, bought SECOND HAND).

TM shotguns are an excellent choice.

...upgraded too, which you're not supposed to do lest the TM shotgun gremlins destroy your gun :rolleyes: ) and it performs as well as the day I bought it

You upgraded it but it performs as well as the day you bought it? That sucks :(

Teehee! :P

And seriously, Free Man person guy, where the hell are you hearing these stories from? Cuz it can't be around here, or from anyone who actually owns a TM shottie.

Archived