Systema 510mm versus Prometheus 500mm

The Saint

Hey folks, I need some opinions. I'm planning on swapping out my stock inner barrel for a tight bore, but I'm not sure which one to get. According to my research, Prometheus makes the best inner barrel, so I'm inclined to go with that.

However, my two options are the Prometheus 6.03 at 500mm for $90 versus the Systema 6.04 at 510mm for $60. Since the Systema barrel is 10mm longer than the Promy, I wonder if that would negate the different in bore diametre between the two. If it does, I might as well save $30. What do people think?

Also, anyone ever cracked open a CA36E's mech box? I just want to make sure that it uses the holeless cylinder. According to the cylinder guide, it has to.

The 10mm of extra barrel will do absolutly nothing, so if you want much improved groupings go for the .04 but if you want massivly improved accurcay (Hissing sid reported being able to put bb's through the same hole) fork out the $30 for the .03.

Ï'd also go with the Prometheus barrel. They're much more scratch resistant and perform VERY well! Just make sure your hop bucking isn't letting BBs pass through the lips. I've had that problem with a few buckings and the Prome barrel since the barrel is just slightly thicker than the other AEG barrels out there.

The 10mm of extra barrel will do absolutly nothing, so if you want much improved groupings go for the .04 but if you want massivly improved accurcay (Hissing sid reported being able to put bb's through the same hole) fork out the $30 for the .03.

But that seems a bit counter-intuitive. The extra 10mm of the Systema should give the BB extra time to stabilize and a longer period of acceleration (even if more air is lost from around the BB than with a Prometheus), shouldn't it?

But that seems a bit counter-intuitive. The extra 10mm of the Systema should give the BB extra time to stabilize and a longer period of acceleration (even if more air is lost from around the BB than with a Prometheus), shouldn't it?

Well technically yes, it would slightly improve the velocity and accuracy, but the difference would be so tiny you wouldn't be able to notice it.

There's also the theory that in airsoft, as the bb is travelling a lot slower than a bullet would, having a very long barrel reduces accuracy, because the bb is in the barrel for longer, therefore your movements can reduce its accuracy.

Graham

Yeah, sure things that apply to real steel weapons should apply to Airsoft, but i think that the effects are so small you just can't notice it, so you should only concentrate on those that do.

like tightbores. Tightbores also increase your fps by a few notches as well ,so it's quite a good upgrade.

:)

Toyboy is correct on the "lock time"-issue. It's a realsteel term, meaning the delay from the trigger pull to the bullet exiting the barrel. If there's much delay, it'll hurt accuracy.

There's also another fact that applies for both realsteel and airsoft: Barrel length doesn't translate directly into accuracy. There are many other factors and barrel length has actually very little to do with it. The main reason for rifles to have long barrels is to gain muzzle velocity without getting insanely high peak pressure.

Especially the difference between a 500 and 510 mm barrels is completely beyond measuring, even if the barrels were of similar quality. It's very difficult to see significant improvement in accuracy even when you go past about 250 mm. What I'm saying is that a gun even with a 250 mm barrel under the right conditions is more accurate than even a 510 mm barrel.

There are tons of threads about barrel length and how it affects the performance of airsoft guns. I suggest a search if you're interested... Or if you don't take my word for it. It's also useful to do some research about realsteel weapons and all the things that affect their accuracy. The info is very useful as reference, even though there are differences too.

-Sale

There are tons of threads about barrel length and how it affects the performance of airsoft guns. I suggest a search if you're interested...

Oh, I did look, hence the preference for Prometheus. But due to the higher price tag, I was hoping that an additional 10mm at 6.04 would equate to 500mm at 0.01 in terms of volume of air trapped behind the BB.

$90 (even Cdn) seems a bit high.

That was the best in-country price I could find. I'm hoping not to have to order overseas, having just recently done so. ;)

Archived