University Officers Training Corps or TA?

FUmiYAsu

Hi,

So I am going to Uni next year...was looking to see whether I should get a part time job or something to earn money.. Then I thought maybe I could just join the TA or some reserve unit.. but deployment does sound a bit scary...especially in the middle of uni if I am unlucky.. So I was browsing on the TA website and found this thing called UOTC... it claims to be something like TA for uni students... You get army training but you are not officially in the army...

My question is... are any of you in this UOTC thing or in the TA while going to Uni? i would like to hear about your experiences... :)

Basically, I am just not sure wht I want to do.. but I think I would like to do something army relating while in Uni...

Any advices?

Thanks...

Hi,

The UOTC is more commonly referred to as the "OTC". Basically it is a ramped up version of the cadet force. More responsibility, more expectations, and more involved. You must still realise it is essentially only a cadet force for older members. You will not be a signed up servant of Her Majesty, you will be able to turn down membership at any time, and you won't be sent any service requests.

My advice would be to join the OTC for 3 months and get as involved as you can be. If you're in at the deep end and you hate it, avoid the TA. If you're loveing every second including the life and rank structure dynamics, then join the TA and see how it goes. Even in the TA you can quit at any time (although there is a 10 year period when they can call you up if absolutely essential only).

Hope that helps ;)

Hi,

The UOTC is more commonly referred to as the "OTC".  Basically it is a ramped up version of the cadet force.  More responsibility, more expectations, and more involved.  You must still realise it is essentially only a cadet force for older members.  You will not be a signed up servant of Her Majesty, you will be able to turn down membership at any time, and you won't be sent any service requests.

My advice would be to join the OTC for 3 months and get as involved as you can be.  If you're in at the deep end and you hate it, avoid the TA.  If you're loveing every second including the life and rank structure dynamics, then join the TA and see how it goes.  Even in the TA you can quit at any time (although there is a 10 year period when they can call you up if absolutely essential only).

Hope that helps ;)

Actually, tht sounds like a good idea.. But isn't there a 3 yr contract thing with the TA? I think I saw it on their site.. Do you know how much difference there is in terms of atmosphere and the people between the OTC and TA?

I think I will pm holly later..

Remember,

there's loads of travel and outdoor activities that come free with service.

Tax free rides, discount shopping at selected stores or even participate in sports at Olympic level, for example, biathlon and Judo!

Ahem...

Plus if you already hold qualifications and skills on your selected trade, you maybe eligible for grants and one off payments much like the University bursary.

I think it's called a "golden hello" or something silly like that.

MONEYS! JOIN!

Fun, yes?

Actually, tht sounds like a good idea.. But isn't there a 3 yr contract thing with the TA? I think I saw it on their site.. Do you know how much difference there is in terms of atmosphere and the people between the OTC and TA?

No 3 year contracts are used as far as I am aware. You can however choose to go overseas to active trouble-spots for extended periods on full-time pay. As far as I am aware you are legally required to complete the tours you go on, but it is still a volentary assignment.

From my experiences, both are a mixed bunch. I've seen both TA and OTC sections that have been taken over by the "louts" but this is reasonably rare (especially in the TA). Normally both are similar although internal TA rank is closely interwoven with a mature and respectable command, whereas OTC sections do tend to need more "guidance". However, the reverse can often be true - the OTC guys are more sensible because they want to be there - the TA guys are more childish because they're only there to get paid and shoot things.

Find your local OTC officer and chat to him/her about it. Then go to your local TA centre and chat to some of the people there. At the very least you can go along to one of the TA's normal weekday-evening sessions and sit in as an observer before deciding what you want to do. Basically, just do your research and that will help you far more than we can here ;)

Incidentally, I will be working with both the OTC and the TA (and the regs of course) over the next few weeks - if there is anything you want me to ask them, then please let me know. PM is better than forum post as net access will be scarse for me in the coming weeks (never found a barracks that had good net access yet).

Hope that helps ;)

No 3 year contracts are used as far as I am aware.  You can however choose to go overseas to active trouble-spots for extended periods on full-time pay.  As far as I am aware you are legally required to complete the tours you go on, but it is still a volentary assignment.

From my experiences, both are a mixed bunch.  I've seen both TA and OTC sections that have been taken over by the "louts" but this is reasonably rare (especially in the TA).  Normally both are similar although internal TA rank is closely interwoven with a mature and respectable command, whereas OTC sections do tend to need more "guidance".  However, the reverse can often be true - the OTC guys are more sensible because they want to be there - the TA guys are more childish because they're only there to get paid and shoot things.

Find your local OTC officer and chat to him/her about it.  Then go to your local TA centre and chat to some of the people there.  At the very least you can go along to one of the TA's normal weekday-evening sessions and sit in as an observer before deciding what you want to do.  Basically, just do your research and that will help you far more than we can here ;)

Incidentally, I will be working with both the OTC and the TA (and the regs of course) over the next few weeks - if there is anything you want me to ask them, then please let me know.  PM is better than forum post as net access will be scarse for me in the coming weeks (never found a barracks that had good net access yet).

Hope that helps ;)

thanks everyone.. this has been quite helpful.. I know tht the way to go about this is probably to go and see for myself... but I am still like half a year from when I am going to Uni.. so I am really just doing less in depth research right now, just to plan roughly wht i should do... The plan is OTC then visit TA weekend then see if I like it...

:)

Archived