Famas Internal Ugrade

kevair

I'm asking this question cos i've never seen a one up close, can you fit a TM1000 motor into a FAMAS? would it be too big or whats the story with it? I'm fitting a systema 100% spring and have hears the existing motor isn't strong enough and the ROF will drop through the floor!

Plus if i include a 9.6V battery with this new setup, will the ROF increase?

P.S. What the blue blazes does reinforced pistons,cylinders and air seal nozzles do?

[/i]moderators feel free to roll your eyes and relocate this in the newbie section or maybe rename the thread "what first upgrade not to do if you're a newbie!"

Fitting a stronger spring will slightly lower the ROF, but it shouldn't be too bad as long as you have an 8.4v Large type battery (1,700mAh or more). If it still drops too low for your purposes, a 9.6v battery will help noticably.

I'm afraid I don't know which motors fit the FAMAS, but Systema do make a range of different motors in both the short and long variety that should work (check with a FAMAS expert first) ;) If they do fit, a Systema Hi-Torque motor with a 9.6v battery should handle pretty much anything.

The spring you are getting, do you mean the Systema M100? This should be fine, but if you are worried about the ROF slowing, a Systema 1J spring might be a better choice.

Reinforced cylinders, pistons and air seal nozzles are parts that upgrade your gearbox to account for a very slight increase in performnce. They are mostly used to strengthen the internal components of the AEG, and not required for the upgrade you are planning to do.

Hope that helps... :)

I hate upgrading the famas- as far as I'm concerned, I'm never touching another one!

But to answer your question- no, marui do not make any other motors to fit the famas. Systema do though, as R22master says. In my experience, you need an M100 plus bearing spring guide and bearing piston head, and a new piston to crack 300fps, such is the design of the gearbox- grrr. If you have enough money for all these shiny new pieces, I recommend putting them in another gun, as you'll get more power and reliability return for your money.

If however you really like the Famas, just marry it to a 9.6v battery and leave the internals alone- its a good fast firing support gun as standard, but the upgrades are expensive (because they have to be made ONLY for the famas- unique gearbox) and they don't yield as much return as you'd expect them to (like fitting the same parts to another gun)

good choice to go for a bullpup though- I just personally think you chose the wrong one. (thats my personal opinion!!- I hate M16s too, so don't think I'm picking on you!)

quick edit- if you do buy a replacement motor (and you really don't need to, unless yours is broken) then make sure it says "fits famas" in its sales pitch!! theres unfortunately no such thing as a "standard" replacement motor that fits anything from systema for a famas- its a difficult task, matching a motor to a replacement at the best of times. I THINK the motor in the famas is the EG560- check on which models share the same motor, and then you can search for those models in the sales blurb on the motors too.. (thinking that the EG560 is in SOME models of MP5 as well)

no- it IS reliable, just harder than any of the others to upgrade, and the parts to upgrade it are a bit more expensive than their more common V2 and V3 gearbox cousins.

Slap a 9.6v battery in it, and the new and improved rate of fire should put a smile on your face, anyway. Any power upgrades will just slow it down from that "optimal" rate of fire - and in my experience they are more trouble than they are worth. (in terms of value and difficulty of fitting them, not in terms of reliability)

Thanks Azrael, giving your suggestion some thought and maybe just a 9.6v batt with metal bushings to reduce wear and tear will be all I'll attempt until I've got more experience!It'll still look deadly though with a TM203 and silencer fitted and the handrail removed(Don't worry I already found out to do this) with a red dot in its place! B)

Kevair has already demonstrated his knowledge of the Systema parts Enzo. He has also decided to go with just the 9.6v battery and bushings. A "Systema Spring & Bushing Upgrade" is not what he wants as it goes against all of the advice in this thread - advice Kevair has decided to take.

Please read what others have posted previously, before you respond.

Thank you. :)

Thanks for all the info lads, its gonna come in very useful believe me!

Yep R22 is right, I'm goin for the 9.6V battery and just the metal bushings on THIS gun.

I've done a bit of wheelin and dealin(goodbye PS2 :( ) so i'm in the market for a second hand FAMAS which I'm gonna take to pieces and rebuild and rework and upgrade, I might even paint it!! By the sounds of things this is the best way to learn!

If you have a FAMAS for sale and you're in Ireland, check out my thread on the world sales forum

Thanx again :P

I hate upgrading the famas- as far as I'm concerned, I'm never touching another one!

But to answer your question- no, marui do not make any other motors to fit the famas. Systema do though, as R22master says. In my experience, you need an M100 plus bearing spring guide and bearing piston head, and a new piston to crack 300fps, such is the design of the gearbox- grrr

I thought I'd clarified the myths of the Famas gearbox on many occasions now but it seems not to be the case.

Fitting an M100 entirely by itself will increase the fps of a Famas to over 300fps all by itself. A new piston, spring guide & piston head are not required as they are parts which contribute to the smooth running of the gun and not particularly the power at all. This is experience from having owned & used & upgraded 2 Fami over several years and having upgraded a good few others for some of my club members.

A bearing spring guide MAY add a teeny amount of power from adding a minute increase in pre-load to the spring on account of it perhaps being a tiny bit longer where the spring sits on it. The bearing piston head does not however as it merely occupies the same space the original piston weight takes up.

If you have enough money for all these shiny new pieces, I recommend putting them in another gun, as you'll get more power and reliability return for your money.

Not true because you're still dealing with the same forces of physics which dictate wear & tear on the parts you fit.

but the upgrades are expensive (because they have to be made ONLY for the famas- unique gearbox) and they don't yield as much return as you'd expect them to (like fitting the same parts to another gun)

A few of the parts can cost a tiny bit more but it's really a matter of a few dollars which equates to a couple of quid. Hardly worth ruling out on a cost basis and the gain is as much as any other gun you fit parts to. At the end of the day you're dealing with a fairly simple mechanism that works the same way through the different variations. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say.....

I THINK the motor in the famas is the EG560- check on which models share the same motor, and then you can search for those models in the sales blurb on the motors too.. (thinking that the EG560 is in SOME models of MP5 as well)

Yes it does use the EG560 motor. It is a high torque motor which drives the slightly higher than usual ratio gears the famas uses to give its good standard rate of fire.

no- it IS reliable, just harder than any of the others to upgrade, and the parts to upgrade it are a bit more expensive than their more common V2 and V3 gearbox cousins.

Stripping the famas to its gearbox is as easy as any other AEG and easier in quite a few cases. Many of its gearbox internals are in fact interchangeable with version 2 & 3 gearbox parts and I have used exactly these so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

The Famas may not be to everyone's taste but the myths about it being difficult to upgrade or suffering from a lack of parts to uprate the gearbox internals & so on are simply untrue.

If anyone is still in doubt, please feel free to read page 4 of this thread where this discussion was done to death and I've provided part numbers for a large number of upgrade parts to fit the Famas gearbox.

I hope this clarifies things for anyone confused by conflicting information they may have heard.

Kevair - I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your Famas as they are great guns and that is why they are popular as rental guns at various sites. They're cheap, perform well as standard, are reliable and easy to maintain/fix/upgrade.

Having owned a couple & upgraded/repaired many more I can honestly say the worst thing I have ever found with them is that they have creaky plastics. Not a big deal.

I would also point out that as you're planning on fitting a 9.6v battery & bearings, that the bearings aren't strictly necessary as standard plastic/nylon bushings will cope fine for a long time assuming they're in good condition when you fit the battery. If the gun is old then yes, it's advisable as they can split which can easily result in a stripped gear or two when you're firing the gun and one gives way, causing the gear to move off its axis.

That said they're quite cheap to buy, and fitting a set of metal bushings should give you the peace of mind that you will never have to worry about this happening and can enjoy many hours of happy, trouble free shooting. :)

Nice post Hammer.

One thing though, the EG560 is a low torque motor. The EG1000 is the higher torque motor that Marui produce. The EG560 though can reach higher operating speeds than the EG1000 under the same voltage and current, but it will not fair as well under the strain of a stronger spring.

Cheers for the info ;)

Um, actually, the latest (well for the last few years) Famas have had a high torque 560 motor fitted as standard. Has High Torque printed on the motor label.

Ealier ones were just standard.

As these motors are very similar to R/C car motors in size, you may find one that is a suitable replacement. You would have to add a pinion gear.

Ah, didn't realise it was a "High Torque" version of the 560. Looking at the post originally it didn't make sense, but now that I have re-read it with this new nugget of information, all becomes clear. :)

Thanks for the update :)

Thanks Hammer,

If things start going FUBAR with my FAMAS I'll know to get in contact with! its given me piece of mind your info on FAMAS upgrades, I thought I was gonna be stuck with a pretty much a stock gun for the rest of my days!

I've actually already thought of the R/C car motor already but was afraid to post it in case I was laughed off the forums! :blink:

I'm going doing research as to what motor will fit into the FAMAS, I'l post my findings on this thread ;)

There's nothing wrong at all with suggesting ideas even if they might seem daft to some people (as long as they're safe of course). If you don't ask then you don't find out!

Model car motors could be an interesting experiment assuming you find one that physically fits ok, but the famas is the most likely gun to try this in because the size & shape of its EG560 are most like a model car motor.

It could be a bit of a minefield though because there are so many variations of car motors depending on what characteristics you want from the motor. It could be fun but at the same time you might have to expect the odd fried part here & there if you get it wrong. Rule of thumb I'd suggest is that you shouldn't try a motor with a very low number of turns to begin with as these are the most demanding type and probably the most likely to cause problems.

Have fun!

Archived