2nd hand airpistol and the Law?

VaKo

First of all I'd like to apologize for posting about an airpistol in a airsoft forum, I've been lurking on the out skirts of the airsoft community for many years now, and I understand the differences between airsoft and air guns. But I also know that you people know your stuff when it comes to the law, so you seemed like the best people to turn to.

I have a Anics Skiff 3000 airpistol that randomly turned up after a house party. No one at the party admits to bringing it, and our best guess is it was left there by a previous tenant. Its kinda cool... but in the long run I don't really have a use for it, and the girls don't want anything to do with weapons. So we want to sell it and put the cash into the blackhole that is the gas bill.

But, I don't want to sell it to some random yahoo who'll A: hurt someone/something, b: use it for crime, or c: get themselves blown-away by the police. I'm also ignorant of the law surrounding the sales of air guns with no records or details.

The gun itself appears to be in working order, but is missing the rear site. Its not been fired since we found it, it needs gas and I couldn't be bothered to get any.

VaKo

well, the law part concerning found property is your main starting problem,

Technically its still not yours, because it was left in your house. Now you have tried to find the legitimate owner which is a good thing. To make everything cosha I would suggest you contact your local plod and explain that this has been found and what you have done to trace the owner.

They should enter this item into their 'Found Property' register and if no-one claims the item after 30 days then it legally becomes yours.

You should then be able to do with it what you see fit (they may try to get you to hand it in and have it destroyed, but its not up to them, but thats probably something they wont mention).

Selling it to a Shooting/Fishing shop may be a safer bet, but you will get less cash, or as has been suggested advertise it in a reputable airgunners magazine or forum, where you are less likely to sell it to a turd.

hope this helps.

OK then, I'll report it, but quite frankly I don't agree with the idea of handing it over to the cops to be destroyed. Whats the chances they'll just take it from me using some lame law I'm not aware of? Been caught out by that before.

The girls had lived in the house for 2 years before this was found, so I doubt that anyone will be claiming anything. Thanks for the advice, its been useful.

The only thing to watch for is if they get you to sign anything. This really should be common sense, but I'll say it anyway: read it before you sign. They may have a clause included allowing them to destroy the gun. If that is the case, politely refuse to sign, explaining the item is perfectly legal to own, so there is no reason for it to be destroyed.

:zorro:

Selling it on is (as I understand it) illegal if the person you sell to is under the age of 17.

Apart from that, you should be good to go. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the possibility that the pistol may exceed 6 ft/lbs in power, in which case it is a Section 1 firearm and requires a firearms certificate.

However, unless you have suitable equipment to do so (which you don't :P) you're gonna need to take it to the police so that they can test it for you.

Well, didn't take it to the police station, just had a word with the local policeman who patrols my area. His advice was initially to hand it in with the amnesty, but after talking for a bit he said just said to sell it to a shop and make sure I get a recipt and keep it.

It is a little worrying though that someone obviously brought this to a party you had lol what were their intentions?! lol

I was in the local gunshop once, and a guy came in looking for a gun he could use with a James Bond fancy dress costume. I expected them to point him at the airsoft springer PPK or P99. Instead, they sold him the CO2 CP99.

:zorro:

Archived