Academy L85

otherrandomhero

I've been looking into an inexpensive rifle for CQB lately, and the Academy L85 has caught my eye. I was originally interested in the MP7 but a few things turned me away from it. Back to the L85, i've found some various things on it. I read the review on this site, but that said it came with 2 30 round mags and was not marui compatible. There are 2 i've found: evike one with a 300 round hicap, and tokyo model version with 2 65 round mags. I have a few questions:

1) does anyone have experience with either of these 2?

2) what's a good battery for these?

3) do they have adjustable hopup?

4) how is the accuracy on these guns?

5) are there any extra mags available?

6) how are the sights?

7) any reliability issues?

If there is any other information i should know about before i buy one please say so, thanks for all your help.

I had an Academy L85. 101airsoft.com sells the Academy L85 for pretty cheap.

I ran a cheap 7.2v 2000mAh when I had it.

No.

You can't really expect much for the price. For CQB though, just walk the bb's on target. :)

Yes, just google Academy L85 magazine. Or, modify the Academy magwell to fit Marui M4 mags.

6) how are the sights?

SUSAT who's red dot is barely visible in high light.

Just a little bit of locking up and not firing.

If there is any other information i should know about before i buy one please say so, thanks for all your help.

Don't buy one! :P JK. Well, if you must have an L85, I suppose it's not all bad or would make a decent project gun. Otherwise, I'd save up and get a TM AEG like an MP5K or P90 for a little more money. KSC full auto glocks are nice too.

The gun comes with 2 68 round "non-stanag" mags

2) 7.2 large (not 8.4, that will kill it)

4) mine had a bent barrel so accuracy was appauling, but i used it for 8 months for CQB without caring much

5) Guns n guys sell lows and highs,

6)pisspor, the EBS is not worth looking through EVER, and the RDS is not actually a proper RDS, and so isnt accurate at all

7) i found the gearbox to be resonable, the shim job wasnt great, but the parts are ok quality

101airsoft isn't up right now, server problems. Anyways, i don't want to save up for a marui because i won't be using this gun enough to drop $300 on another full-fledged aeg. The evike looks like a good deal because it has a 300 round mag. I found a few more reviews and the academy seems like it moght not work too well. Any other suggestions for a CQB gun, meeting the following:

-battery (i have a charger) and 1 hicap with the gun must not exceed $225.

-Must be 30in or less

-Must be very maneuverable

-.4J minimum power

-accuracy must be fair out to 100 feet.

-the following are in the running:

TM MP7

Maruzen Skorpion

Mid-grade metal G3SAS

KSC TMP

anything else you'd like to bring to the party

EDIT: checked out GnG. What's the currency exchange rate on HK$?

Ah ha! Great place to hand down my knowledge:

1. The Academy L85 (the newer versions) are, well, not the best quality. In fact, they're possibly on a rung between LPEG and MPEG (if the ranks are Mini, LPEG, MPEG, AEG).

2. Nothing (aside from the internals) are standard. The barrel is too big (ie, fat), the hop sucks a donkey's penis, and getting to the battery is really pathetic and poorly designed. The SUSAT is just plain ######.

3. Good things: The gearbox is strong. The motor is good. Its easily disassembled (getting to the gearbox). This thing is LIGHT, about 5 pounds fully loaded. You will not get tired lugging it around the field.

4. I bought one to get a cheap project gun, and put in FAMAS internals. Bone stock, you could barely hit a target with one out of ten BBs at ranges in excess of twelve feet, with an FPS of about 250-260. Figureing a way to get a regular barrel in should improve this. With a stock FAMAS spring, Type 0 cylinder, internals, propperly shimmed and with a good tappet? Accuracy improves to about twenty feet, and the FPS goes up about 10. Your ROF also goes up, and its really high to start with. With a 8.4v, its nearly 700-800RPM.

Overall, properly looked after, this gun can be a great little piece. The magazines are for ######, but wrap a bit of electrical tape around the midsections and you should be fine. If you want, I have about five standards still lying around somewhere for it.

It really seems that the academy isn't a very reliable gun, or good to use a lot. I've found a good deal on an MP7 (i reconvinced myself it's a good buy) and plan to fit a huge-*albatross* silencer and tightbore (imagine an MP7 with a 455 barrel). Thanks for your help everybidy.

Yes, they're useless, I have one sitting in my cupboard which I can't quite bring myself to sell it to anyone.

7.2V ONLY without seriously upgrading the gearbox.

No, not even sure they have any hop-up.

Also useless CQB only. The barrel was really poorly made (slightly bend, bits of swarf left inside)

I don't know about america but they are impossible to find in the UK. As for the m16 mag conversion, don't bother it makes the magwell wall really thin and then it's really picky over which mags feed.

6) how are the sights?

Cheap, Plastic which twist and wobble in your hand. Barely visible red dot which has no adjusment.

Easier to say is it ever reliable, mine hasn't worked properly from day one.

Generally unless you really can't afford anything else don't bother.

Archived