A part broke :( CA M15A2 Rifle

GuzziHero

Dropped the back of my gun today (cheap tac sling!) and it hit the floor. When I took my battery out, something was sliding back and forth on the long upper stock screw so I took the buttplate off.

It was a little brass collar with a screw thread on the outside smooth on the inside. Is this important? The stock still screws into the nut on the back of the spring guide and functions OK.

The part is #M16013 on the attached schematic (back of the gearbox area).

Thanks!

It's likely the brass sleeve just unscrewed itself over time and the drop finally freed it.

The sleeve is there to be tightened against the mechbox, supposedly allowing the user to adjust the position of the mechbox in the lower receiver. It's not a very important piece and usually the gun will work fine without it.

That part has a specific function - it's there to ensure the stock base of the lower receiver has something to rest against the gearbox shell itself before you attach and tighten the stock.

The gun will work perfectly fine without it. However, there's a little bit of a risk that overtightening the stock screw might BREAK the lower receiver (if the stock base part of the lower receiver has nothing to rest on, overtightening will bend it in or more likely crack it. It's a very small risk, but it's there...

Putting it back in is not a problem - insert through the back with the notches facing you (the gearbox has to be fully installed in there with all the other pins), then tighten until first signs of resistance. Now you can attach the stock and tighten it as much as you want.

Archived