Specops airsoft, Portland

darkchild130

Hello, i am getting a bit too used to ground zero and need a new place to play (somewhere with less noobs) and i've chosen specops desert as my next outing.

I'd like to read some feedback about the place from people who have been there, is it any good, is it as milsim as the website suggests, is it well marshalled etc etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Darkchild

Hey I was at GZ today, and although I haven't been to "The Rock" as they're calling it, I have been to specops woodland many times. It may shock you to hear, but there are no marshalls at all (in the conventional sense of the word)! Because there aren't ever too many people, and whoever is there is a trusted and almost "invited" airsofter, the amount of cheating (or lack of it) is superb. It's almost like we're all player marshals. The site is run by Mike who used to run GZ till about a year ago and he runs the woodland site as a milsim and I have to say it's awesome. I'm going to specops desert on the 26th and if you're not there, then I'll post a short write up for you. In the mean time have a look here...

http://www.airsoftcommunity.co.uk/forums/i...p?showforum=312

Hi Darkchild - I went to the last one with some of your team mates in Section8 and loved it. The rocks and rubble and even some machinery make for some interesting scenarios and because it is a working quarry it will change every time you go. The acoustics are amazing, particularly when pyros go off which adds to the atmosphere really well. The players there really make the day and I saw absolutely no cheating at all which can't be said about other sites. If anyone is caught cheating then I believe they are given their money back and banned. It is run extremely well by Mike and his family and is simply an amazing, friendly atmosphere and I can't wait to go again. I take it you're going on the 26th - if so I'll see you there.

hey darkchild, hows ground zero, site wise, on their website it has this huge mag with lots of building its seems, but on the pics, it looks like woodland mostly...

GZ is a woodland site that has lots of areas that have been built such as a fort, village, bunkers etc. Theres some pics here...

http://www.groundzeroairsoft.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=6

Yeah, I've only played there (GZ) once but most of the action I was involved in was in the surrounding 'bush'. Its a huge site so the constructed areas only take up a small proportion. Its a good site particularly with the large numbers that play - target rich environment (as long as they take their hits ;) )

thanks windibob and trooper x, i look foward to playing there sometime soon.

As for GZ, its big, and lots of people go. There are no buildings per se, but most of the action is centred around various bunker positions or hut villages around the site.

I like the place, but i need something a bit more challenging, the amount of scrotes that frequent GZ tend to make it a bit of a shooting gallery for all the more experienced players there.

@TrooperX: cant make it on the 26th im afraid as im working but should hopefully get the game after that.

Darkchild

As I promised, here's the mini review of Spec Ops Desert (Portland).

We got there at 9:00 in the morning ready to gear up and start shooting at 10:00 and the weather was absolutely miserable. Cold, wet, and windy. The worst conditions for airsoft! But then at about 10:00 the rain stopped and it was the start of a beautiful day.

So we paid our green fees, and went to the site brief. This was where Mike (the man who runs Spec Ops) basically told do's and don'ts.The biggest don't was DO NOT climb on the big rocks because although they may look stable, they arent. But you can climb the hills made out of smaller rocks and these hills are about 3 stories high! The biggest DO was be gentleman, and have fun. He seemed particullarly proud (as were nearly all of the players) that they have no need for any marshalls because there is NO cheating. The reason for this is that all the players are gentleman! The way airsoft should be in my opinion, it's what separates airsoft from paintball.

The first game of the day was in the small quarry (of 2) and was just a 15 min "get the barrel" game with a respawn back at your base to get the adrenalin going after a late start. Then we swapped ofer for a 30 min game the other way. I'd like to say that there were a few times during the day where I found myself less than 6' from the enemy after they snuck up on me and isntead of them shooting me, they used the "bang" rule which I was geatfull for because at that range a bb would have HURT!

The next game was a last man standing game. The attacking team turned their backs while the defending team went and hid. Once a defender was shot (or in my case "banged"), he went to the attackers base and respawned as an attacker. Then we did the same the other way again.

After that game, we stopped for an hour for lunch which I thought was a bit too long.

After lunch, we moved our games into the big quarry after a little site induction where they told us basically DO NOT CROSS THE RED TAPE or you will be sent home. On the other side of the red tape was either a dust pit that was about 2m deep, or a hole in the ground about 50m wide by about the same deep. The first game was played with medic rules. If you get shot, call medic, and a medic will come to you and tie a bandage round you. With this bandage on, you can follow you squad around as a non-combatant for 5 mins. The objective of the first game was for the attackers to get 3 mortars into some tubes in a well guarded part of the quarry. Then the same the other way again.

At this point in the day we found out that a member of the public had called the police because while cycling around the top of the quarry, he thought that we were taking part in a terrorist training school! There were 2 ARVs and a helicopter on standby while they sent 1 officer in a police car to confirm.

The next game was a defending team defending a massive gas/oil tank with only way to get to it being 2 roads (one from either direction). From what I saw, ths game was quite biased in favour of the defenders.

On the way back to the safe zone, Mike put on a small "king of the hill" game where about 15 people climbed one of the massive rock hills, and everyone willing to participate had to take the hill. Once again baised in faovur of the defenders, but if we had longer we would have taken the hill!

We finished for the day at about 3:30. Im not sure why so early, but I imagine that it's because it was starting to get dark.

The only thing I thought wasn't exceptional was the time between games. It was a little too long for my liking, but not so long that you would get bored. It gave us a chance to talk to the other players.

Apart from that small gripe, the site, the players, and the way it's run is fantastic and I would definitely go again. And depending on how close you are, I would definitely recommend going down on a saturday and staying in a hotel the night before.

Hope this helps you to make up your mind and if you get to go, I defy anybody to thoroughly enjoy themselves.

Twas a fantastic day with weather to match!! This was my first game as a fully fledged member of Section 8 and we had a wicked time!

Shame that coastguard search was on as it meant no pyros for most of the day!! I think we were a game or two down due to the late start and the delay caused by our almost close encouter with the ARV's!!

Amazing atmosphere again and was great having the CS and AI guys down too.

I had great fun with my new clone sniper rifles, particulalrly in the morning games. Was sat there laughing out loud at one point as I took out 3 or 4 opposition in a row with the MP001. There is certain satisfaction when you make hits with a £20 gun - haha!!

Can't wait to play there again!!

Archived