What is ASGK?

CountDoom

It's ASGK that regulate how much metal any airsoft gun can be comprised of, if I'm not mistaken, so thats the reason TM are becoming less popular for armalites and MP5's due to the fact they cannot compete with other companies such as CA, ICS, G&G, G&P and so on. So thank god ASGK rules only apply to Japan.

Adam

So I'm guessing thats the reason why most japanese airsofters are concerned with how many bb's they can fire per minute than anything else, or is it because airsoft in Japan is very much like paintball in the sense that all the games are speedball types?

Adam

The major thing that most people will notice is that the rules stipulate two independant safeties.

It's why Glocks have the moving serial number, and SA-80's have three settings at the back (safe/single/auto) in addition to the trigger safety.

The major thing that most people will notice is that the rules stipulate two independant safeties.

It's why Glocks have the moving serial number, and SA-80's have three settings at the back (safe/single/auto) in addition to the trigger safety.

So, erm, how's that apply to every other AEG which TM makes?

What is the 2nd safety on a P90, for example, or an MP5, or an Armalite, or a G3?

The only TM Pistol I own is the Mk23 and that does have 2 safety's. Maybe this only applies to pistols?

A point about the Glocks with moving serial number safeties. Only KJW Glocks have this, not KSC models, and as we all know KJW are made in Taiwan, whereas the KSC's were at least designed for Japan.

That said, my KSC Glock 17 does not bear any KSC or ASGK markings as far as I can see. I also have a Tanaka Luger which has but one safety, and yet also appears to be missing an ASGK seal of approval. The only gun I have which DOES have an obvious ASGK marking is the MGC P7M13 - and it has only one safety.

So, erm, how's that apply to every other AEG which TM makes?

The only TM Pistol I own is the Mk23 and that does have 2 safety's. Maybe this only applies to pistols?

Let's see if I can spread a little light.. :rolleyes: (bearing in mind I'm going on what I was told by Alistaire at AA)

My WA SVI is ASGK marked, and has (technically, I suppose) two safeties - the cocking hammer & cocked safety catch, and the grip safety.

My WA M1934 is ASGK marked, and just has the cocking hammer and the main safety. However, unlike most of the WA range, it can be safely de-cocked. Not sure if that would count as a "safety"..

My Digicon Target (made in Japan) isn't marked, and only has the hammer as a "safety".

My KJW G27 isn't marked, but has two safeties. OTOH, it is a direct copy of the TM G26, which I would guess would be marked.

My KJW Para isn't marked, but has the same safety arrangement as the WA pistol. Which I would guess, like the TM G26, is marked.

My KSC TMP isn't marked, and has a single safety.

Neither of my AEGs are ASGK marked, the AUG has a single safety, the Academy two.

So, everything that is ASGK marked, or is a direct copy of what I would assume to be an ASGK marked pistol, has two independant safeties, plus the hammer.

Everything that isn't marked and is non-Korean has a single safety (or none at all..)

It's hardly conclusive, but it is consistent.

What we need now is for someone to see if the TM AEP has an ASGK mark (and how many safeties), and whether the TM/WA Beretta (with decocking mechanism) has a single manual safety.

Having taken what I was told as Gospel, I'm quite interested to find out if it's true.. ;)

WA Beretta's, like the real thing have a "single" safety - although it is ambidextrous on both sides of the slide. I've owned 3 and I believe they were all ASGK marked. As it stands all WA guns are copies of the real things and, as far as I know, none of them incorporate extra unrealistic safeties. Whether they are all ASGK marked I can't say but I believe mine were.

And as I stated before my MGC P7M13 is ASGK marked and has only one safety, if that.

JASG:

jasg is similar to asgk.

some say jasg replaced asgk after tm messed around with asgk and then left it in the 90's but i'm not so sure.

while asgk is geared for the survival game league in japan [skirmishing or wargaming to you and me], jasg is, to an extent, for target shooting - ie. while asgk limits are 1j for playing, jasg has power limits above this, as long as its used for target shooting.

[think air rifles in the uk i suppose]

ASGK is actually a single coporation that does not necessarily govern airsoft, but acts as a standard for retail limits. Think of it as an ISO. They say what guns can be sold at what power. JASG is the other standard which usualy monitors pistols, This is the same reason they use 134 and not 22. The gun must shoot a maximum of XXXfps out of the box with no modifications. The introduction of a more powerful gas can cause their structure to crumble.

some ksc and some maruzen still carry jasg tags and im not sure why - my maruzen mp5k for example is well under 1j but still carries a jasg logo while a 'jasg' gun would be normally thought of as shooting at 1+j out of the box. my mp5k isnt.

so, usually, a jasg rated gun is capable of 1+j [which usually point to gas guns [rifles and pistols]. but since 134 is the standard gas and green iirc is banned in japan..]

while an asgk gun is >1j ..

so, for another example, the hudson m21 is 'jasg' rated, meaning it shoots over 1j out of the box..

which also means it falls foul of asgk and cant be [officially] used on playing fields in japan.

hth

and apologies for any errors

Archived