Maruzen M1100 and 870 back in stock

Handsome Pete

personally I'm very interested in the Tanaka, but what would cinch it for me is if it can take real foreends without modification.  I have a real end on my Maruzen 870 but it wasn't easy to do.

Ok, here's what I've found about the Tanaka M870.

Weight is 2.5 kg, same as real steel.

Stock and foregrip is made of fiberglass, same as the real steel. Receiver, barrel, magazine tube trigger guard, trigger are metal. Probably the usual aluminum/zinc they've been using for years.

It is modeled after the Police Tactical 14 inch barrel model.

Magazine can hold 4 + 1 in the chamber like the real steel.

The dimensions are identical to real steel so aftermarket parts (stocks, grips etc) should be swappable.

Shells are reportedly different than the 1897 shells, although they still have a 3 bb capacity. They are a different color than the 1897 shells. Tanaka has modified the shells to only work with 3 bbs at once due to the power limits law in Japan. People were shooting one at a time and reaching [over limit] fps with green gas. They are actively distributing a part for current 1897 shells to make them compliant, the M870 shells will have this built in. The use of 1897 shells in the M870 is unknown, but one store says they don't work. Shells cost the same as the 1897 type and come in a box of 5.

It appears to be the same system that the 1897 uses, only with a slight modification to the shells for legal reasons. I can attest to reaching 350 fps using green gas with 3 bbs in the shell. This gave a satisfying boom and better than average range/accuracy with the 1897, I expect the same result with the M870, although the barrel is a good 5 inches shorter so accuracy will be lower, but the spread will be better, better for CQB methinks.

I would dare to guess that in the coming months we will see accessories for longer barrels, magazine tubes, grips and so forth. The 1897 was a bit of an odd bird due to it's old style, this one will blend right in with a modern loadout and the shorter length will help. That 1897 is as long an M16A2, while this one is close to 1/3 shorter.

I should get mine by the weekend and I'll post a review and video. I no longer have the 1897 for a direct comparison but I wrote a review somewhere on here so I can try to link them.

Shells picture

2505_0.jpg

trick with the maruzen m870: use .12g bbs, preferably about three per shell, and you have something that is actually not half bad :)

main issue is gas inconsistency, meaning you'll have one shot fire straight and true, and the next that barely makes it half way. This in and of itself is not a big deal, as a shotgunner should really be acing as a breacher (first man in) and to scare people into keeping their heads down.

The "pop" it makes, however, is the biggest disappointment :(

remember, so long as you aren't anticipating AEG-esque range or consistency, the M870 isn't actually a bad gun, and it can be used on green gas fairly well- mine was fine, what killed it was converting it to CO2 and leaving a half full bulb in the adapter over a weekend- unsurprisingly, all that constant pressure on the o ring did for it :(

However, onto the Tanaka, I just hope like hell it could be good for woodland as well as urban, as I am sorely tempted to go down a pure shotgun path at the moment :)

The performance of the Tanaka, range-wise, is acceptable for distances up to a stock AEG. At least the 1897 is, the barrel is quite a bit shorter on the 870, so it may be more akin to pistol range. I've got mine on order from Redwolf since they've got the shells already. It should be here by the weekend.

If someone has a spare 1897 shell to loan me I will try it in the 870. I don't want to buy a box if they don't work. I used them before so I know how load/care for them.

This is all getting slightly off topic but is is possible to make the Maruzen full metal not just the reciever?

I've got a G&P medium outer barrel on mine that came from one of their CA870 kits. (please note that the G&P shell tube will not fit and that the maruzen shell tube is already metal..)

So, yes it is possible to make the gun full metal..

• 10 months later...

Anyone can confirm if a real steel foregrip has been installed without modification on the Tanaka ? I had no problem with the stock but I wanted to confirm before buying a 300$ Surefire foregrip.

Thanks in advance.

Archived