Retailer's news threads

do we really need every US retailer announcing when they have stock of an item? the new SCAR is a perfect example.. there must have been at least 20 news threads now with SCAR in the title..

I don't think it should count as news when one retailer gets an item (already covered in the news section) in stock. This sort of stuff is clogging up the news page and forcing more relevant new materials straight off the front page.

Is there any chance of cutting down on the amount of news posted which has little to no relevance to most forum members, and is merely a blatent commercial post.

thanks.

I'm tempted to reply to this with one of those snotty 'how about we don't bother with news at all if this is the thanks we get' posts, but I'll rise above it and instead offer this:

I'd rather have the full cooperation of the retailers rather than none at all. We already pick and choose as much as possible, and should we get much more stringent retailers are likely to question the benefit of bothering to send us news articles.

In this case I think the main issue is that quite often all staff, especially me, don't really check what news articles have gone before. I am aware that the best solution for us to do so, but as you have probably noticed only a small number of the staff actively post content, the staff doing so being those most pressed for time. We try our best to give you what news we can, and I for one am very sorry that this is not good enough. Have you tried using the new search feature if you are after particular key words?

If this is not good enough, you can either simply not use the service, or instead use that provided by another community site such as Airsoft News EU as a good alternative. The guys there seem friendly and truly interested in the airsoft community (and should you also prefer their forums feel free to send them our best wishes - I don't have as much time to go on other forums other than here and RA due to real life commitments as I would like).

Um... Marlowe? I think HBC was referring to the Airsoft News subforum, not the news/main page.

Edit ~ nope, my bad. Sorry, I was going on the title rather than the text. So, gonna have to agree with Marlowe on this one. I think retailers using the Airsoft News subforum to announce their stock is a little against the spirit of the thing, and isn't that kinda what the news page is actually for? The subforum allows us to discuss that news if we wish, and also discuss other subjects, such as upcoming guns.

:zorro:

Edited by Sledge

I think you've all got brainfreeze :huh:

or I just didn't explain myself right :unsure:

I was talking about the news subforum.. i'd never presume to judge what goes on the news page, that's up to people with bigger brains than me.

I was saying that there seems to be a lot of news topics in the forum news section which are posted just to announce a gun being sold in one specific retailer, which isn't news and could just as easily be an update in an already existing thread.

ta.

hbc.

I think you've all got brainfreeze  :huh:

or I just didn't explain myself right :unsure:

I was talking about the news subforum.. i'd never presume to judge what goes on the news page, that's up to people with bigger brains than me.

I was saying that there seems to be a lot of news topics in the forum news section which are posted just to announce a gun being sold in one specific retailer, which isn't news and could just as easily be an update in an already existing thread.

ta.

hbc.

Ahh, this makes more sense. I agree that, given retailers have an opportunity to have such news on the front page, there is little need for multiple threads advertising say the SCAR. The best course of action as always is everyone's help - report the posts and we'll deal with them. :)