free floating ...ness

amsniper

now then - most of you will know that in realsteal weapons - barrels have free floating barrels which aids accuracy. (this is also the case on my hunting rifle)

- it allows the barrel to vibrate freely. (i believe in a circular motion)

now then - i recently installed a new barrel in my g36 - and a good deal of it sticks out of the end of the outer barrel - effectively making it free floating - which got me thinking.

would a heavy free floating barrel make any difference in airsoft? there has to be some sort of vibration somewhere.

- now i know that there isnt much vibration and no doubt some one will say that but surely the theory stays the same?

any thoughts

regards amsniper

I agree with Samm. Airsoft guns are not rifles and nearer muskets (smooth bore). The effect would be so small that probably not worth looking at when WIND is the major factor in Airsoft accuracy due to low pellet weight and velocity.

The HOP UP effect, is something that people forget about when comparisons to regular ballistics. Range is achieved due to spin, rather than brute force.

My own advice, is just be happy with what you've got. People always think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Changing your setup all the time and tinkering means you are less likely to predict the flight path for those long range shots. I changed my scopes before a big game last year and didn't zero it at the same range as normal. This caused me to fluff some shots. If i had just kept it the same I would have hit more. A basic error that cost me :(

Expect only 1 out of 3 shots to hit extreme range targets, due to the limitations of the equipment, ammo and air currents. I think you are possibly clutching at straws.

Good Luck ;)

now then - most of you will know that in realsteal weapons - barrels have free floating barrels which aids accuracy. (this is also the case on my hunting rifle)

- it allows the barrel to vibrate freely. (i believe in a circular motion)

now then - i recently installed a new barrel in my g36 - and a good deal of it sticks out of the end of the outer barrel - effectively making it free floating - which got me thinking.

would a heavy free floating barrel make any difference in airsoft? there has to be some sort of vibration somewhere.

- now i know that there isnt much vibration  and no doubt some one will say that but surely the theory stays the same?

any thoughts

regards amsniper

Err, I could be wrong here but your barrel is not free floated. The inner barrel still connects to the outter barrel which is still connected to the handguard. Is it not?

no i know its not free floating - i just wondered if it would have an effect!

- as for it ending in tears - i know that feeling every time ive knocked my rifle - good old daystate still punches 1 hole groups at 40yrds though!

ahhh - decent accuracy!

just a thought

cheers all

Free-floating barrels have know affect on air soft. The same goes for fluted barrels to.

Free floating barrels

A Free-floating barrel is a specific design technology used in highly accurate rifles, particularly match grade rifles, to increase the accuracy of the weapon.

With normal rifles, the barrel rests in contact with stock. In particular if the stock is manufactured of wood, environmental conditions or operational use may shift alignment of the stock, which may cause the barrel to shift its alignment slightly over time as well, altering the projectile flightpath and impact point.

A free-floating barrel is one in which the barrel and stock are designed to not touch at any point along the barrel's length. The barrel is attached to its receiver, which is attached to the stock, but the barrel "floats freely" without any contact with other gun parts, other than the rifle's sights. This minimizes the possible mechanical pressure distortions of the barrel alignment.

As air soft weapons vibrate so much when fired due to the materials they are made out of this is nothing more that a gimmick in my opinion :waggle: .

Most airsoft barrels are 6.4-6.1mm and the factorys making the BB's aim for 5.95mm.

So already you have a variation of about 0.4mm due to the construction of the gun. so the stock expanding and pushing the barrel an othr .1mm out of line will have little affect.

Archived