Magpul PTS - PMAG Durability Test Video

orca

Which is unsurprisingly biased and amateurish. I have no doubt the Magpul PTS mag is better, but a little scientific method in the tests would have strengthened the case - all this video does in my eyes is show that Magpul PTS are a bit sore about chinese PMAG copies.

I think the chineese magpul was surprisingly good, considered.. The RS magazine test shattered HK mags, thermold, and USMC mags with ease, with a similar big truck.

Also, I don't think I have seen high cap magpul (clones) for sale yet?

edit: I had big problems fitting the real pmag in my gun, tought that could be cuz its a dboys..

And a note on the end credits; "wich one I would depend my life on?" whut?

a little scientific method in the tests would have strengthened the case - all this video does in my eyes is show that Magpul PTS are a bit sore about chinese PMAG copies.

While not scientific, the durability testing with the vehicles driving over the PTS PMAGs were supposed to mimic the "unscientific" durability tests Magpul did with their real PMAGs:

Lack of scientific testing aside, it was pretty enlightening to see in the series of tests these guys did, how the ACM Hicap faired pretty poorly. While unlikely that I'll ever put my mags through the same degree of torture*, lower durability can become more pronounced over time. Also, don't forget that when those ACM Hicap PMAGs were available on the market, their unit cost was higher than (or at least equal to) the authorized PTS PMAG. Functionality of hicap vs midcap aside, I'd rather spend my money on something that's built stronger and is more reliable.

* A comment was made about how in one of these tests they threw the mags really hard against the ground... if you do a lot of urban gaming this is a pretty valid test. For example, if you were in a multi-level indoor environment and were to accidentally drop a mag in a stairwell, the amount of impact force imposed on the mag could easily mirror the impact test done in the PMAG PTS durability video.

I really wish we could get a comment from magpul PTS themselves as to whether or not the material used in the PTS pmags is the same as the real steel counterpart.

I really do not think it is. Its not all that important because quite frankly, the PTS magazines meet my durability standards but im getting tired of hearing the BS on the interweb about how the PTS magazines are "just as indestructible as the real thing because they use the same material!"

I really wish we could get a comment from magpul PTS themselves as to whether or not the material used in the PTS pmags is the same as the real steel counterpart.

Yeah, that argument is getting pretty repetitive. I'm with you, I don't think it's made from the same material as that of the RS PMAGs.

He's wrong about the construction of the Magpul PTS PMAG being made of the same material as the RS PMAG aswell, because it isn't.

I'm surprised the reviewer actually states that the PTS PMAG and RS PMAGs are made from the same material. The fact that the video is endorsed by Magpul PTS kinda implies that PTS is confirming this as fact... which I don't believe to be true. Unless of course Magpul PTS simply endorsed the video without fact checking the contents therein. Or... we're all wrong and the PTS mags are made from the same material. :huh:

On another note, I learned a new acronym today: ATCS = Airsoft Tactics Combat Shooting

Never heard of that one before.

As an individual that has actually taken a magpul dynamics class, i find that video to be frustratingly annoying...

That takes poser to a whole 'nother level.

Anyway, back on topic. The materials really do not feel all that similar, there's no flex to the PTS magazines whereas my real mags feel like there's some "give" in the material even when fully loaded.

correct me if im wrong, but didnt magpul already say that they arent made of the same materials(120 rnders)? ill try to see if i can find if they said it already of not, but i too would like to here from magpul pts on this. and i believe someone said that the Star Green Label were the same plastic as their other mags.

Shame that stuff is associated with magpul.

Magpul Dynamics offers some of the finest professional training in the industry and we've got guys on the interweb associated with the company name that are butchering the hell out of what they've seen on youtube videos...sigh...

At the end of the day, i think we can all agree that the material that the PTS pmags are made from is sufficient for some fairly intense games. Just to quash all of the speculation i again would really like to hear from the PTS gents as to whether or not this is the real stuff.

Orca, you've got some pretty good connections, any chance you could get an official word?

* A comment was made about how in one of these tests they threw the mags really hard against the ground... if you do a lot of urban gaming this is a pretty valid test.

Yup. I've split a MAG mag by dropping it while in MOUT and then stepping on it at just the right angle.

I guess you can try drake@magpul.com ? His name is plastered all over the Tech data on the real mags anyways :D

Should contact someone from Magpul PTS if your going to contact anyone, because i believe Magpul Industries(USA) , and Magpul PTS are not the same company(please correct me if im wrong)

I guess you can try drake@magpul.com ? His name is plastered all over the Tech data on the real mags anyways :D

They are not the same company. Please dont bother the Magpul Industries guys with questions about their PTS "division".

Archived