Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.1 from a pro-9

kiltboy

Well, here is the second in my series of projects, the first being the Sten Mk. 5. (Not quite done with it, but gettin' there!)

This project is taking a UHC Pro-9 and turning it into a Enfield-esque rifle for the fun of the project, and because I like British Rifles of all types~

So, this project will involve the following big steps:

1) Wooden stock (one piece, unlike the real No. 4)

2) Steel bands with sling swivels, trigger guard, trigger and (fake) magazine

3) New steel bolt handle

4) New hidden brass multi-round magazine (no more fake shells~ Sorry!)

5) Fix many air leaks, upgraded power, custom steel internal upgrades

6) Use plastic, JB Weld, steel, etc~ to give it a better overall look.

So far I have gotten the basic stock shape cut from a 2"x8" (that's "Eight-Quarter" for you woody types) piece of high-quality hardwood. Not really sure the type, as I got it from the clearance bin... Might be ash or some funky european poplar.

Anyway, I have gotten it partially inletted to take the receiver of the pro-9. I have made some minor changes to the pro-9 receiver, such as cutting away the magazine guides and retaining latch for the fake shell magazine.

Later today I hope to finish the basic inletting, and to start on the trigger guard, barrel inletting, stock band (rear receiver band on the real one) and the trigger/sear upgrades.

I will try for some pics in the next day or so, and wish me luck!

Your not-so-local mad scientist,

Robert

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see, <_< the VSR is around $150-200, the pro-9 is $70 delivered...

I'm attempting to do these projects on the cheap, so I've started on a very low budget. Because of this, I wanted to use common, low-cost bits and pieces, so do not plan to be using much -if any- original real-steel pieces on this project.

Biggest reason not to use the real enfield stock is that it is held together by the receiver, at the rear receiver band. If I was to use the real steel stock, then I would need to spend about $200 on parts to get it all together, so no more real steel than necessary. Heck- even mags are getting pricey!

If I do use any real steel parts, they would be a bad mag I have, at least until I fix it, and may use real front barrel band and rear sling swivel, possibly the butt plate. Depends on how my gun show diving goes, as these parts are available, but often pricey.

The tally so far is about $90. That includes the gun, wood and a router bit for inletting. Shouldn't need too much more unless I use the real steel bits.

Once I get it right with a cheapo gun, then I'll definitely make a real nice one, using a lot of real steel parts, and a good rifle to start with. That one will probably be a No 4 Mk1*T Sniper rifle-type. I have acess to a real one (including the original box and spotting scope!) Wish it was mine... But this is for after the first "trials gun".

Believe me, I know the limitations of the pro-9, but it is a better gun than many give it credit for, and worse than some others claim. It is really a budget rifle. NOT A SNIPER. Just hasn't got the range for it, but it'll do a bang-up job as a rifle.

Thanks for the responses, and any ideas you might have for the next generation sniper are much appreciated. I will hopefully get a chance to play with a good sniper in a couple of weeks, so will have some better ideas soon.

Robert

edit-grammer

Youre having fun so they don't need to be real powerfull lol!

Erm you could replicate some of the real steel parts. For example the band that goes before the trigger gurad is attached to the reciever. But you could make a cosmetic one as your reciever will be the super 9. Thats the main problem that warren had when he built his enfileds of aps2 actions.

Well, got real work for the next couple of days, so I might be slow on getting the pics up.

Got the lower stock pretty much inletted, and will now work on the trigger mods, so I can cut the hole through the stock. Then I'll be on to the trigger gaurd/rear receiver band, and the bolt handle.

As usual, there is more to do than originally thought...

Why, oh why, couldn't I be a pessimist?

Robert

Edit- spelling

Okey-dokey!

Here are some pics of the very beginning of the enfield project.

This is the stock next to the real equilivent. You can see the markup on it to make the width the same as the real No 4.

gallery_6934_241_7367.jpg

Here is the stock from the side, showing the pro-9 receiver in the red, the enfield parts in the black and other notes in blue...

gallery_6934_241_26149.jpg

Here is the pro-9 receiver with the basic modifications marked out, and a little bit done on it. The back portion will be heavily re-enforced to take the stronger springs increased power. (it hits the 1J limit now, not before~)

gallery_6934_241_31595.jpg

And finally, this is a comparison of the new trigger and the old. Note that the actual trigger portion is not yet welded to the new, as I want it to go in the right place. Once the basic fitting is done, then I will make a good high-carbon steel trigger and dovetail and weld it into place on the new trigger block.

gallery_6934_241_22203.jpg

Thats it so far, but I'll be on it a lot in the next couple of days. Independence day weekend, after all!

Well, I guess you don't celebrate it like we do... :D

Take care, and as it goes, so shall I post.

Robert

Thanks for all the responses! I plan on making a good one after this experiment, as the fast bolt on the real No 4 is one of the reasons I love it so...

This one will be rather slow on the bolt, as the long pull needed to cock the spring is much more difficult to do fast.

On construction notes~

I have made the plate to which I will attach the fake magazine and trigger guard, and have gotten ready to attempt the new bolt handle. I hope to get the trigger group done tonight, and possibly some work on the bolt handle.

Eventually, I hope to make a tanaka-like gas gun. They make a real sweet k-98, and the simplicity of the system is wonderful! I got to play with one yesterday, and I want it! Also like the ability to fiddle with velocity with the adjustment of a screw.

Very cool system. Now, if they put a heater on the gas tank to keep the gas in its "working range" (Simply a thermostat and switch on a small battery pack) it would be nearly perfect.

Hmmm... project number 6,354 I think.

Take care all,

Robert

Watcha,

I 've shelved my own project for a month or so, but reading this string has re-awakened my interest somewhat:

post-8254-1120443000_thumb.jpg

Based on a WWI SMLE.

Stage 2 now complete, routed, chiselled and screamed at the barrel and lock until they went in.

Stage 3 will be to fashion the metal work.

Stage 4 fit everything together.

Stage 5 fit ancillaries: sling mounts rear sight etc.

Stage 5 stain and paint.

There should be enough “fat” on the wood to slim the whole thing down somewhat (the original is surprisingly lithe).

Lessons learned:

1) if possible – carve the whole thing (lower sections and stock) from one piece of wood

2) Cut a blank first, fit the barrel and lock and then – whittle down to get the shape.

Carry On

Thanks for all the support! Glasseye- that is a sweet smelly! Cant wait until you get it done!

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say that I havn't worked on the beasty in the last 2 days, but today, I am. Also wanted to show the group of reenactors to you all, so you can see WHY I want to make the WW2 softair stuff.

First- here is me with a very cool tank in the background. Yes, I do look like I swallowed a bug. That's just how pictures of me look.

gallery_6934_241_335172.jpg

Here is all of the crew in the 1st Abn Recce, D troop, as of a couple of years ago. I miss my bren gun...

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/uplo...4_241_44897.jpg

Thanks again, and I'll update with pictures of the enfield soon!

Robert

Next series of pictures. I got very busy, and things went according to plan- so I'm worried about what is gonna break now...

This first id the fake magazine and trigger guard. Still ugly, but will look great with a bit of black satin paint on it. Yes, there is even a fake mag release...

gallery_6934_241_30288.jpg

This is the bolt handle I built to replace the one on the pro-9. Eventually it'll be finished with a ball end and all. Internally, it has stops for the turn, like the original. It does not have the scalloped nut thingy that gives the feeling of a bolt locking into the receiver. It does have the bolt safety, like the pro-9.

gallery_6934_241_19513.jpg

Side view of the beasts receiver so far.

gallery_6934_241_57307.jpg

And finally, a comp of the real and the new.

gallery_6934_241_54815.jpg

Hope to do a bunch tonight, especially in the shaping of the stock. I have to get that done in order to do the rear receiver band and the barrel bands. Wish me luck, as anything made of wood will simply not go easy for me. Steel, no prob- but wood...

Robert

Well, I got the lower stock mostly shaped, and will try to get the top barrel cover done in the next couple of days. Then, on to the front barrel band.

Next will be the rear receiver band, then the front steel reinforces and the sling swivel on the rear.

Finally, the but plate and some cosmetic work on the receiver and new magazine.

Finally, a bunch of satin-finish black paint and some wood stain, followed by about 15 gallons of boiled linseed oil.

I'll see about getting some more pictures up soon.

Robert

Archived