Enfield L85 SA80 - Any recomendations?

Ad_Enuff

Your review was definately spot on pointing out its deficiencies and problems. If you read your review it unfortunately has more bad points than good. That said, you quite rightly point out its no better or worse than a TM.

Hmmm...

Maybe I'm a cynical old fart then. I actually like the L85 a lot.

I must admit, though, I'm a sucker for realism and the reason I don't like a lot of TM guns is that I object to the two-plastic-halves-with-a-gearbox-sandwiched-between-them approach that TM often take.

I, too, would much rather an SA80 which stripped like a real one and was made of metal too. What I was trying to get across in my review was that the Academy L85 isn't really "below par" for the airsoft industry.

If you're happy with a TM M4 then I reckon you'd be happy with an Academy L85.

Having said that, of course, I'm not happy with any plastic gun. Unfortunately, in this case, it was the only real option.

Also, it's really easy to spend a hefty chunk of change on a rare gun. I thought it'd be a nice project to fettle an Academy gun, and it has been. It's been pretty easy and straight-forward to do. Very rewarding, even if it IS still made of plastic. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the kind (?) comments about my review. :)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must admit, though, I'm a sucker for realism and the reason I don't like a lot of TM guns is that I object to the two-plastic-halves-with-a-gearbox-sandwiched-between-them approach that TM often take.

Isnt that the truth! The two halves approach is very poor. Being an old fogey myself, it felt like being a kid again putting a "Airfix kit" together with all that plastic. Of course TM still make guns like this and personally I think it should be stamped out in favour of more realism...after all we have seen that it can be done.

I, too, would much rather an SA80 which stripped like a real one and was made of metal too.

The only one to my knowledge that strips like the real deal is the SA80 Workshop one. As I have mentioned before I'm saving up for one....because I'm 1) A moron 2). an SA80 bonkers fan 3) Stupid and 4) a GIT!

What I was trying to get across in my review was that the Academy L85 isn't really "below par" for the airsoft industry.

No your perfectly correct and I take back my harsh comments to a certain degree, but its worth also pointing out theres only two SA80's out in terms of source manufacturers so making writing a review based on teh few that are out there means it gains a higher rating by default.

Oh, and thanks for the kind (?) comments about my review. :)

No, thank you! Your review was great and very helpful to me. :D

My first AEG was an Academy L85, it burnt the motor out on the first skirmish and when I took it apart the gear bushings were running in the case instead of around the gears, accuracy was abysmal, the plastic body isn`t too bad but would prefer iron sights, now trying to get hold of a tatty Famas to swap internals, after all these problems it is still my fave AEG, it sits nice in the hands, mag changes are easy and it just feels right for a rifle :D

Does anyone think that the ACOG replica would fit the custom AC L85A1 version A rifle, because that is the only scope i could find that looks the most like a SUSAT, or would the bb's fall short of the scope picture

cheers.

Airsoft Club - Microsoft Internet Explorer

Does anyone think that the ACOG replica would fit the custom AC L85A1 version A rifle, because that is the only scope i could find that looks the most like a SUSAT

It doesnt look too bad, although I wish SA80 Workshop sold their solid quality SUSAT as part of their accessories.

I think thats a HUUGE missed oportunity if they havent thought of it. Every Accademy SA80 owner would no doubt buy one in a nano second!

Cost willing of course....nothing of theirs is cheap.

You guys need to realise that fitting a different scope to an Academy L85 is a bit harder than you think.

The weaver rail is actually molded as part of the scope. You unscrew a couple of tiny self-tappers and the scope and rail come off.

Then comes more misery.

Underneath the scope are a couple of raised lumps of plastic with screws through which hold the receiver together.

First you need to remove the SUSAT. Then you need to get a couple of blocks of plastic. Then you need to glue one of the plastic blocks into the inside of each half of the receiver - You'll need to offset the plastic blocks so they don't join at the centreline of the gun (see below). Then you need to drill a couple of holes in the plastic blocks so you can put in screws, through the vents in the receiver, to hold the gun together.

Now you've adapted the receiver so you can attach a proper weaver rail.

Drill 2 or 3 holes through the weaver rail and into the plastic blocks you've just installed. This is the reason you need to offset the blocks, so you have a lump of solid plastic along the centreline, under the join in the shell.

You can now use self-tappers to secure a weaver rail through the shell and into the plastic blocks you've installed.

Congratulations. You can now bolt a proper scope to your SA80.

Of course, you cannot now bolt the fake SUSAT back to it cos the fake SUSAT doesn't have a clamp to fit a weaver rail. Doh!

Like I said in my review, fixing up the SUSAT is harder than fixing up the gun. ;)

Just to be pedantic it would be hard to build and airsoft sa80 that strips like the original. Anyone whos used the original knows that you have to lift the TMH up over a bit of metal, like a pivot then bring it down to put it on. Whereas the sa80.org one just pulls off. I think it would be hard t do because of the size of the gearbox. Maybe not impossible though.

We SOO need a review of that.

Definately! These custom SA80's are very rare in the UK or so it seems.

When I get my SA80 from SA80 Workshop, I will definately do a review.

Shame Simon AKA Hissing Sid lives in Scotland otherwise I'd let him review it so he could compare the Academy version.

That would make very interesting reading.

Ok, so hopefully this saturday i plan to order 1 AC club custom L85A1 version A, 10 Star M16 real cap mags, 2 TM M16 lo caps and one ACOG x4 scope, when i get it all i plan to write a review on how easy it was to fit the scope and things like that

cheers

No offense but you'd better use a spell checker if you do. ;)

Yer well I blame the modern education system :rules:

I put my trust in word for my spelling, was it wright I spelt wrong? humm thinking now probably as I seem to be having a mental block on how its spelt, just that its spelt wrong. lets see, wight, no right, no, write, ahh that looks right. :withstupid:

It would seem that the gun used a real SUSAT,

It's not actually a real SUSAT doc if you look on the website on accescories it says ABS SUSAT, and the real one is made from metal, i would laugh so much if someone spent $2000 on one, then the SUSAT turned out to be the crappy Academy scope :lol:

cheers

It's not actually a real SUSAT doc if you look on the website on accescories it says ABS SUSAT, and the real one is made from metal, i would laugh so much if someone spent $2000 on one, then the SUSAT turned out to be the crappy Academy scope :lol:

Me too! Though I can tell a lot of SA80 fans are very frustrated with the quality of the original SUSAT or the fact there isnt one true to the original that can be fitted to a standard Academy....custom or otherwise.

I wonder if ICS, TM, CA and so forth read these forums?

If so, give us SA80 fans what we are dying for! There is a huge market just waiting to be snapped up! :)

Archived