the frustrating shots

MooCow

i donnow about you but i've spoken to quite a few boltie users at high fps. they definately have had a decent experience under their belt. i.e. at least a year or two sniping in airsoft or other places...

i'm sure many of you have also experienced this... the perfect shot ruined at the last moment. by the smallest twig possible in the world that you didnt notice when you pulled the trigger... you trace the shot in on your scope... waiting for that moment where you score such a stupidly long range hit or a close range stealth hit... that friggin twig just deflects the shot off... only making the twig stroke the pretty face of your opponent :(

i've experimented in many many ways to get around this problem and still havent got a decent method of scoring that hit if there're small twigs/branches infront of the target.

what i'm wanting to discuss is to score that hit whilst accuracy is not sacrificed in such a way you're guessing where the shot's going to go...

here's what i've tried,

heavier ammo to minimise the deflection angle

tilting the gun to curl the shot in.

playing with the hop to drop the shot in short from above.

what stuff have you tried and what worked? i mean obviously it's pretty damn hard to fire a boltie fast enough to force shots through twigs like AEGs with... what did you do?

i either give up on the target, or try to aim for gaps in the twigs (usually the twigs are big enough to see, so if the target is nice enough to stay still, i can get them after a few experimental shots :P)

edit:

forgot to say... i got angry at a twig once, and just shot it until it broke :P but by then my target was gone :unsure:

lob shots at long range normally drop in from above anyway, dependant on hop setting. Other than that you have to accept it as a limitation of the game and assess the odds of a hit and if the shot is worth taking.

twigs in trees often limit the range you can lob shoot too, in such situations guns with higher hop setting can be more useful and get hits others find impossible.

yeah curling pellets in works. Much is down to experiance and knowing when you should take a chance or not.

Good Hunting ;)

i think this is one of those things that your gunna have to learn to live with!

a twig will deflect an air rifle shot - and even a shot from a full bore rifle.

- what chance has a bb got!

your best bet is to try and avoid shooting into a twiggy environment!

or just let the shot go - there will always be others

regards amsniper

lob shots at long range normally drop in from above anyway, dependant on hop setting. Other than that you have to accept it as a limitation of the game and assess the odds of a hit and if the shot is worth taking.

twigs in trees often limit the range you can lob shoot too, in such situations guns with higher hop setting can be more useful and get hits others find impossible.

yeah curling pellets in works. Much is down to experiance and knowing when you should take a chance or not.

Good Hunting  ;)

yeh im getting the hang of lob shots :) it's just the fact that i lob the shot from adjusting the hop rather than aiming higher from further back.

curling the shot in tends to be a guess for me, because there's always that slightest wind to push it off. and how do you know exactly what angle to aim at/hold at? i guess i'm not experienced enough as a round-the-corner-shooter but i guess it's a bit cheeky to do that.

i think this is one of those things that your gunna have to learn to live with!

a twig will deflect an air rifle shot - and even a shot from a full bore rifle.

- what chance has a bb got!

your best bet is to try and avoid shooting into a twiggy environment!

or just let the shot go - there will always be others

regards amsniper

do you snipe? i used to ebay snipe lol

and no i dont wanna go to snipe in urban, i cant get my ranged kills then.

there arent many woodland sites that are not twiggy at all. and i'm talking about the odd twig, not talking about trying to shoot through a bush. hey do i get a post count on this?

as for learning to live with! i guess it's going to be hard, im not sure about any other airsoft snipers out there, but i always tend to get at a hit every 2-3 shots if it's long range (taking into account twigs, wind, people ducking the last second etc) if not i'll make sure i try harder. i became an airsoft sniper because of that challenge, the right moment, the right place. i dont want to 'get over it' or 'live with it' so i wont let it go.

i'm sure there're lots of other people out there that have a similar frame of mind. getting there, right time, right place... and getting a hellovalot of satisfaction for scoring that 'perfect kill'

i mean people get an accurate weapon, low rate of fire. what for? take their time to have an accurate shot. pick targets off that are generally harder to get. i like a challenge every now and then to test my own skills. do you?

yeh im getting the hang of lob shots :) it's just the fact that i lob the shot from adjusting the hop rather than aiming higher from further back.

curling the shot in tends to be a guess for me, because there's always that slightest wind to push it off. and how do you know exactly what angle to aim at/hold at? i guess i'm not experienced enough as a round-the-corner-shooter but i guess it's a bit cheeky to do that.

As for learning to live with! i guess it's going to be hard, im not sure about any other airsoft snipers out there, but i always tend to get at a hit every 2-3 shots if it's long range (taking into account twigs, wind, people ducking the last second etc) if not i'll make sure i try harder. i became an airsoft sniper because of that challenge, the right moment, the right place. i dont want to 'get over it' or 'live with it' so i wont let it go.

i'm sure there're lots of other people out there that have a similar frame of mind. getting there, right time, right place... and getting a hellovalot of satisfaction for scoring that 'perfect kill'

i mean people get an accurate weapon, low rate of fire. what for? take their time to have an accurate shot. pick targets off that are generally harder to get. i like a challenge every now and then to test my own skills. do you?

I think it is good to accept the inaccuracy of low velocity smoothbores that fire ultralight spherical ammo compared to real steel. I've recently missed plenty of shots at long range and yes it is gutting sometimes, but that is part of the game. If you hit everyshot, then gaming might become less exciting and adrenaline based and the sense of achievement would not be there either.

I do test myself and take hard shots at longer range, sometimes, when i should hold my fire. Having such a quiet G-SPEC (stock power) means even though I may struggle to hit a 40-50m target; most of the time, if i miss they don't notice. Espescially if they are moving when the pellet arrives.

With a louder sub 1 joule bolt rifle, I would often pass up the shots I attempt with the silenced G-SPEC.

Once someone knows you are there, they will present a much smaller target. Therefore with a louder rifle, you often only get 1 chance to shoot at a decent target (if they are good). The lower powered silenced gun, has the ability to give you several chances at such a target.

However, hitting a twig near the target not only puts off the BB, but it can make a noticable noise too. So twigs are the bane of many single shot players and something you've got to accept i'm afraid. It happened to me recently and I missed a sitter due to a twig at 25m. I ended up on the recieving end.

Only other suggestion I have is tidy up your favoured fire windows next time your in the area lol. I don't mean kill living branches of trees but a couple of small twigs are ok or deadwood too.

Firing with higher powered rifles, using heavier ammo means your shot is more likely to get a deflection and still hit the target. Something that makes me wonder how many sites ignore ricochets and what defines one. (don't answer this please).

This works both ways and you must remember tiny twigs saving your hide now and again?

do you snipe? i used to ebay snipe lol

and no i dont wanna go to snipe in urban, i cant get my ranged kills then.

there arent many woodland sites that are not twiggy at all. and i'm talking about the odd twig, not talking about trying to shoot through a bush. hey do i get a post count on this?

as for learning to live with! i guess it's going to be hard, im not sure about any other airsoft snipers out there, but i always tend to get at a hit every 2-3 shots if it's long range (taking into account twigs, wind, people ducking the last second etc) if not i'll make sure i try harder. i became an airsoft sniper because of that challenge, the right moment, the right place. i dont want to 'get over it' or 'live with it' so i wont let it go.

- im not a military sniper if thats what your asking - i hunt!

and quite frankly that means that i have to be bloody good at what i do, because i do not want a wounded animal - i want a clean kill!

if i cannot make the shot count - i dont take it - it really is as simple as that!

i have seen the effects of the unseen twig - they easily cause misses.

- do i like to challenge my self - yes of course

i occassionally try for that longer shot - and indeed occasionally i get it but i much prefer the challenge of sneaking around - to within an effective kill range then taking a kill and retreating - unseen - imo a far better challenge than making a longer shot - but as i say thats my opinion

- i appreciate that getting that perfect long range shot is a challenge - but thats not really for me or my playing style.

i wasnt on about doing urban - i said a less twiggy environment - ie try and get out into the open a bit more! - but saying that i dont know your playing field so if you dont have an open area then thats fair enough!

and yes i got the fact that you werent saying about shooting through a bush - rather the odd twig -

i agree with the bushman - next time your there try and clear your favoured shooting ground a bit.

as for curling the shot - ive tried that before - a good laugh but very difficult. i guess it comes back to a principle ive always stood by - PRACTICE

know your weapon, know yourself,and know your limitations as a team (sounds like hippy bull poo but it works)

yes yes - people will lable me an opinionated *albartroth* but how can you get better unless you practice?

happy hunting

kind regards amsniper

Firing with higher powered rifles, using heavier ammo means your shot is more likely to get a deflection and still hit the target. Something that makes me wonder how many sites ignore ricochets and what defines one. (don't answer this please).

This works both ways and you must remember tiny twigs saving your hide now and again?

i think the real problem is that there're too many snipers at my local. making the regular cannon fodders learn to be less of a sniper target.

i think i really should invest in some heavier ammo considering i know quite a few shots would have been clean hits if i werent on .30's

and them twigs sometimes do save me getting hit but if i'm being shot at, it's usually by AEG fire, a whole cloud of the shots coming in usually means a few will definately hit me.

as for curling the shot - ive tried that before - a good laugh but very difficult. i guess it comes back to a principle ive always stood by - PRACTICE

know your weapon, know yourself,and know your limitations as a team (sounds like hippy bull poo but it works)

yes yes - people will lable me an opinionated *albartroth* but how can you get better unless you practice?

AMSNIPER - your crack on here. You get good at canting the gun into wind or curling round objects the more you do it. Heck one guy got sick of me shooting him at close range with my AEG (years back) as i always turned it upside down to shoot him in ditches or behind dense bushes. I couldn't see him, just knew where he was. After numerous events he stated that if you see me turn my gun upside down.... "it's all over".

Many would say that unfair (lol) i would say thinking like this is real limits you from the start. Use every advantage you can get (within the rules) is my motto.

Lastly, I gave up hunting bunnies as could often get a couple of dozen in a day. Too easy ;) Hunting players with identical kit to you is where the real sport is at.

Good Hunting :)

AMSNIPER - your crack on here. You get good at canting the gun into wind or curling round objects the more you do it. Heck one guy got sick of me shooting him at close range with my AEG (years back) as i always turned it upside down to shoot him in ditches or behind dense bushes. I couldn't see him, just knew where he was. After numerous events he stated that if you see me turn my gun upside down.... "it's all over".

Many would say that unfair (lol) i would say thinking like this is real limits you from the start. Use every advantage you can get (within the rules) is my motto.

Lastly, I gave up hunting bunnies as could often get a couple of dozen in a day. Too easy  ;)  Hunting players with identical kit to you is where the real sport is at.

Good Hunting  :)

i dont see that as unfair at all!

your mearly making the best use of your weapon! - you knew it could curve downwards and you used it to your advantage.

if every player new his weapon that well - all involved would have a fare more challenging and thus enjoyable game.

kind regards amsniper

Bushman:

Just so you know, whilst a Gspec or VSR may seem loud next to you whilst shooting at higher power (500fps for example) as i found today people over 15m cant hear the shot go off.

I had one of the other team mebers near me today and i took a shot at somebody (mag was empty so it made even more noise than if it fired a pellet) and he didnt flinch. was only when he decided to check behind him shortly after he clocked me and charged me lol ( lack of cover for me )

i agree with the shots not being heard even at high fps.

i've tested a new sp170 spring with 2-3damper pads in the cylinder. no silencer. 15-20metres away (waaay under minimum engagement) they can barely hear the shot. i think it's because the boltie users are so concious of the little noise they make, it's actually not that bad considering the effective engagement distance you get there...

as for curving shots in, i've done that before and got kills. but that's to counter the windage... it's not that hard to do but curving round a tree in between you and a target, only done that once. was by chance he moved into the shot... was well chuffed.

maybe they should start making low velocity twig piercing rounds in 6mm for us boltie users. then we can shoot straight through twigs lol

I think the best comment here was...

'i think the real problem is that there're too many snipers at my local. making the regular cannon fodders learn to be less of a sniper target.' - amsniper.

This is totally true where I game as well. I believe I am the only one there with a gas rifle (Tanaka M700 A.I.C.S.), but a lot of them have VSR-10's, some chinese clones, and a couple have APS 2's.

While I think that the introduction of the VSR range by Tokyo Marui was an overly positive move, as it has breathed new life into airsoft sniping, it has also made it, as a whole, a lot more difficult.

Infact, sometimes, it's not even enjoyable anymore. You go out into a game, everyone knows the location, and because they themselves have sniping experience, if only in a minor sense, they still know the best places for a sniper to be, and also how to approach those places without me being able to shoot them.

It often means snipers who stick to their bolt actions find that the opposing team moves into their position way too quickly, and they end up too close for you to shoot. Then what? You can't fire, because you'll hurt them, but they have no reservations about spraying you with their AEG's at a very close range.

BB's deflecting off of twigs is annoying. But having to constantly try and find different shooting positions because everyone knows where you're going to be, and to have to keep withdrawing under fire, that's just irritating.

Ben.

It often means snipers who stick to their bolt actions find that the opposing team moves into their position way too quickly, and they end up too close for you to shoot. Then what? You can't fire, because you'll hurt them, but they have no reservations about spraying you with their AEG's at a very close range.

BB's deflecting off of twigs is annoying. But having to constantly try and find different shooting positions because everyone knows where you're going to be, and to have to keep withdrawing under fire, that's just irritating.

Ben.

I agree completly with this.

finding new spots is always trail and error when all the good ones are known.

and like you say some one with an AEG within your engagment range that peppers you is not nice, mainly because there isnt need for it, ive been in that situation before where some one has got behind me and peppered me in the back of the head (whole body on display) because he was 'getting his own back'

Btw Urban Ninja, what FPS are you getting with your 170 spring and 3 dampener pads? i only ever use 1 dampener pad as i thought there wouldnt be much use using 3, and you wouldnt get full potentional of the fps as the piston cant travel so far forward.

well if it's the blue soft ones i think i only have 1. it's black blue black iirc (put a new spring in a few days ago but cant remember)

it's just that i've seen people rip the cylinderhead out of the cylinder clean off. wrecking the threads on both the head and the cylinder. expensive as he's had a teflon one... that kinda got me so paranoid.

i'm running lower possibly because of the piston not travelling as far forward as it can but it's only a tiny bit of volume when all that air's compressed during the shot.

i only have a metal spring guide, and the mosquito cylinder/piston set. which i'm considering to throw it away (it's not durable at all, the coating, inner lining etc) or maybe just leave it as a backup. i'm looking for new alternatives to stock cylinder kit/teflon cylinder kit.

i put the blue inbetween the black to stop the blue from squishing out too much. doesnt dampen much more, but i suffer from it being slightly louder as the black ones are harder and there's a slapping noise on it when it makes contact with the piston. but it's all good though. seen someone's blue one got squished out of place.

and someone's cylinderhead getting rammed so hard through the threads wrecking the cylinder and the head (as the threads were gone) because they didnt have enough damper pads in (think they only had the black one from the cylinderhead they had at first)

so maybe i'm being too careful? i dont know. i'm tempted to take the last black one off to see how much FPS difference there is and how much noise exactly there is between that single black pad.

Archived