SCW 3 vs. SCW 2

ruchik

i am considering buying a WA colt series 80, either the SCW 2 or the SCW 3. the SCW 3 is dramatically cheaper than the SCW 2 series 80 (ehobbyasia has the SCW 3 series 80 for about $120). however, i am also aware that the cheaper, newer series 80 also compromises in terms of finish and trigger pull feel than the older and more expensive SCW 2 series 80. which one is the better buy? i would like to upgrade the gun in the future, so the cheaper one would make more sense, but i have heard there are numerous problems present with the SCW 3 that is not present in the SCW 2.

The magna tech gun is a good deal if you are going to invest in a metal kit. Once you do that, the cheaper quality of the magnatech is moot. The scw3 hop also makes for a more consistent trajectory.

I do not really like the SCW3 firing pin because of its bulk and weird shape. The nice thing is that the firing pin return spring was stiffened for the SCW3 application to minimize light strikes coming from pin misalignment.

The question you have to ask is: are you willing to invest in the metal kit, or are you happy with a stock bodied gun? The SCW2 is no slouch in performance. I've owned all 3 versions of the series 70/80 in their SCW iterations as well as the original magnas. The SCW2 series 80 is nice, the SCW2 premium is even nicer. The magnatech is a nice base gun for a metal conversion as stated above.

Keep in mind, you can go scw3 with a metal kit for less than $500, much less than trying to do the same with an SCW2 gun.

i think imma go ahead with the series 70 SCW 3. cheap, and i plan on upgrading it anyway. two quick questions-is guarder similar to sheriff in that their product labels that simply say WA .45 series are made for the SCW line of guns? and what kind of sights can you fit onto the M1911A1 slide? novaks or bomars look like that aren't going to fit.

i think imma go ahead with the series 70 SCW 3. cheap, and i plan on upgrading it anyway. two quick questions-is guarder similar to sheriff in that their product labels that simply say WA .45 series are made for the SCW line of guns? and what kind of sights can you fit onto the M1911A1 slide? novaks or bomars look like that aren't going to fit.

There are 2 sets of chambers. SCW and standard. Guarder will indicate if it is for SCW on the packaging. Should you get a non-scw chamber, it can always be modified to fit. Your only choice for a series 70 are blade type military sights unless you have the slide milled to accept different sights.

Don't waste money on a Guarder chamber if you plan to go full metal anyway. The Prime kit already comes with a chamber.

The premium model has WA's faux blued steel finish as well as real grip panels.

Don't forget that the magnatech line also come an open slide-notch (ie you can see right the way through to the internals..). If you install a standard metal kit, you will need to buy an aftermarket slidestop..

there are kits available for the magnatech specifically, for about 288 dollars IIRC..

--

If I were you I would compromise and get the best of both worlds.. the Magnatech series 80 cqb model, I believe it comes with the HW-ABS slide (with slidenotch backing) and it also comes with some special sights (use standard notch but have white dots ala novaks etc..)

4870-600x600.jpg

It also comes with a ring hammer and ducktail grip safety.. if that floats your boat..

--

It's around 150-160 dollars, so still a darn sight cheaper than full-on scw3/scw2 models...

ta.

i actually found a set of nice sights on the internet. Millett, the company is called. they make all sorts of sights for the standard series 70/80 notched slides. pretty cheap too, at about 30-40 bucks for a rear sight that looks a lot like a bo-mar, with white dots on em.

i actually found a set of nice sights on the internet. Millett, the company is called. they make all sorts of sights for the standard series 70/80 notched slides. pretty cheap too, at about 30-40 bucks for a rear sight that looks a lot like a bo-mar, with white dots on em.

They have been in the business for a long time. Your only problem then is what to do about getting an appropriate front sight blade to match your rear. You still have to mill a dovetail into the front of your slide.

true. i was contemplating just buying glow in the dark sight paint and using that along with some painters tape for precise edges. is there a specific kind of aftermarket slide stop that i need, or will a standard one by sheriff or guarder work?

Archived