Self adjusting hop, Loose Hopup dials

Handsome Pete

Went skirmishing on Saturday with a couple of 'new' weapons. I startyed the day off with my new CA M15a4 Carbine. Everything about it was fine, the usual CA quality im used to. However after adjusting the hop, it would un adjust itself as i fired and moved around. It did it so much i bagged it up and whipped out my Star m60 which (strange to say) performed alot better. Ive looked at it since (through the fake ejection port) and the dials seem to be quite loose and the hopup screw wont tighten (atleast before stripping). Do i need to strip this down and sort out the hop or is it fixable without? What needs doing. Cheers.

cheers xaccers, Ill get on it when i find a bit of time. I have found CA hopups to fine usually (not TM standard mine u but not bad). cheers.

Likewise, the only bbs I had problems with on my CA36 were excel .23's as they seemed too shiny.

Twig, the issue isn't the screw coming loose, and you really don't want to put locktite on such a small screw anyway, it's that the distance between the hop unit and the head of the screw (the shaft the hop wheel rotates on) is to long so the hop wheel isn't held in place, there's not enough friction.

So to fix it you introduce friction, by pushing something like a washer or o-ring against the hop wheel (rather the hop wheel than the hop gears as they're just held on by circular clips, check these though as they may need pushing down their shafts a bit).

Put some lock-tite on the screw thread should do the trick. I had the same problem many years ago on my old TM M16A2.

Twig, the problem with the CA hop is not the screw keeps working loose. It's that the screw is too long. Hence the need for a small shim.

Ive ried orings...the ones small enough also break easily.

Ill do a photo diagram of this some time...:

Get empty pop bottle

Cut out a circle just smaller than the dial

Fold it in half

Unfold it

Fold it in half at 90 degrees so its like an X

Punch a hole in the centre

Fit it to the hop dial between the screw and dial with the raised bit caused by the folding facing outwards

If you ever feel it unadjusting, just tighten the screw

And modern CA hop buckings are still ######. My M15a1 and XM177E2 were both horrendously inaccurate. H-Hops to the rescue!

Archived