What am bester Guitar Pickups?

Pinkfloyd

SO I decided I'm going to try my hand at building my own guitar; I've been playing electric for a while on an American Strat but I need something with a heavier tone. Does anyone know what pickups are best for playing distorted sounds but still retaining a very good clean sound? I'm not looking for anything that can get me very bright sounds; like I said I already have a Stratocaster (which is a SSH Delux btw, but the humbucker on it is a Diamondback, which is kinda crappy) so I'm looking for something a little closer to a Les Paul sound but without the hefty price tag of a Les Paul or LP pickups (that and I can't stand Gibson's; they have crappy ergonomics). I'm going to be wiring these into either a Telecaster or replacing my Diamondback pickup on my Strat, or I may just splurge on a new guitar if I can find one with whatever yall recomend already installed.

If you're looking to make a relatively thing, bright guitar sound darker you can always get some EMG actives. DO NOT be confused though. These will do NOTHING to make your tone warmer, they are cold and sterile. However not many other options to really darken up a sound. You could always try something like a D-Sonic or similar DiMarzio model or just a good, well built PAF variant from any of the top companies. In general active pickups are a bit thicker and darker than passives, but often at the cost of just sounding, well, *suitcasey*, for anything that doesn't demand a dark tone.

I'd recommend getting something with either HSH or HH, coil splitting the middles to keep the thin tone of singles when you need it.

DiMarzio Superdistortions, Seymour Duncan Invaders and Duncan Distortions all get the thumbs up from me!

The Superdistortion and Distortion are great for melodic lead, crashing in clean chords and pretty much anything you can throw at them. The Invader is, IMO, the best pickup for heavy music...i'd even take a pair of them over EMG's.

I have the super at the bridge on my floyd rose'd Fender, The Invader on a PRS tremonti and the distortion on a PRS custom.

DiMarzio Superdistortions, Seymour Duncan Invaders and Duncan Distortions all get the thumbs up from me!

I'd agree with those choices. You need something with real grunt in those poofy light Stratocasters/Telecasters, or it'll sound as weak as a kitten. You may not like the ergonomics of Les Pauls', but they have the beefiest sounds out there without having to use super dooper distortion pickups, thanks to the woods used and weight. All that mahogany and maple, with a nice chunky set neck will rock anyones world ;)

Having said that, I sold my Gibbo LP when I bought my Tokai LC85S, which is a japanese built LP clone, because the Tokai was better built (to vintage specs, unlike the Gibbos) and better sounding for about 1/2 of the price :D Modern Gibsons are a complete rip-off <_<

BurstBucker 3s in the Rear, BurstBucker 2s in the neck position, i know you said you dont like gibson, but i swear by their pickups...

oh btw, i know what you mean, the Les Paul is a horrible guitar to hold and play, the top 7-8 frets are almost inaccessable, however i love my SG standard, try one out one day

hmm, not really, depends on the amp you use, i use a TSL 100 and its perfect for Hard Rock

I'm using a Fender Deville with a Boss distortion pedal for a fairly classic feel. If you want a sound to compair to, think David Gilmour's current sound from on an Island, only a bit more trebly and less dynamic because I have pretty icky pickups.

Meh, I'm not really opposed to getting a Les Paul; I have pretty big hands and therefor my fingers reach pretty well, but I just don't have the cash for a Gibson right now. I'm going to go down to my local guitar shop and pester them about the SD pickups and see if they have a DiMarzio outfitted guitar.

My old Epiphone LP Studio was vastly improved by a set of Zakk Wylde EMG active humbuckers. Sounded like a dream after I got those installed, but my guitars wiring gave the tech-guy a few headaches for some reason. It was an EMG-81 on the bridge and an EMG-85 on the neck I think, while ago now so could be wrong...

BurstBucker 3s in the Rear, BurstBucker 2s in the neck position, i know you said you dont like gibson, but i swear by their pickups...

oh btw, i know what you mean, the Les Paul is a horrible guitar to hold and play, the top 7-8 frets are almost inaccessable, however i love my SG standard, try one out one day

Same setup I have on my guitar. They're absolutely amazing.

Archived