What kind of buyer are you?

Sabachthani

I'm the kind who always thinks about new rifles and what I want to buy, then realise I need my money for some other things, or don't have the money at that time, so I get off it again... And instead I buy a new piece of equipment or upgrade my rifle, because it's a lot cheaper, and I still have everything I need already...

Best Regards :)

I'm the type of person that doesn't like to have my guns/gear/etc look like everyone elses. I strive to be different when it comes to the group of people I play with. I was the first person in the state of Deleware (I'm pretty sure) to get the TM M14 SOCOM. Also, for the longest time, I kept from buying an Armalite because I always thought that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Then I said to myself, I'll break down and get one, but I'll try to make it look different from most of the ones I've seen and I'm pretty sure I succeeded.

Having said all that, I'm also the type of person that wants everything right away. I usually end up buying a new gun every 1-2 months, sometimes whether I have the cash or not. That's why God invented credit cards I guess.

I'm a thinker.

I'll sit in a store for hours, then come back the next week, then sit again and think again... then I'll go home, and research it. then read reviews. then think. then work out some pricing.

then go to the store again, then think for hours, then think....

...a lot of my local stores must hate me for loitering, but when I buy, I buy big --couple grand here, couple there.

The point is, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how much you spend, but how much you get for your money. If waiting for a sale or buying something used or whatever saves you some money in the long run, that's great. And in the end, it minimizes the chance of the dreaded "impulse buy", where afterwards you're left regretting buying something you didn't really want in the first place. That's just money wasted!

The other good thing by waiting and thinking about a purchase before you buy it, the less chance of you buying something crappy. I'd rather wait a month and buy a good gun for $300 than buy a $100 gun first only to realize I really wanted the $300 gun. Then I have $400 in the hole for $300 of happiness.

complicated things...

I'm a thinker.

I think you appreciate your purchases much more if you actually make the money to buy 'em yourself. That's what gets me about kids who have parents to buy them their guns and gear; they're not going to love it nearly as much as someone who works for their own money.

That being said, I work a part-time job to get money for absolutely everything. Splitting it all up between airsoft, a girlfriend, and average eighteen-year old stuff I wanna buy, it doesn't really leave much for airsoft. Still, when I do make an order, I make sure I order a good $300-$400 worth of stuff in one order, to make sure I've got my fix for the next month or two. :P

Actually...while I agree with you wholeheartedly, I must say I also really the expensive stuff my parents bought me. Not in terms of guns, no, they'd never support that (and still don't xD), but I mean, when people get me things I hate throwing them away, just because...I mean, they took the time to get it for me.

But like most people here, I'm a think-before-buying kind of guy. Since I hardly have enough money as it is, and I'm paying for everything myself. I have time between paychecks to think about what I'm getting lol.

Gotta say though, the waiting is murder.

I have to admit that I'm an idiot buyer.

See, I'll be browsing around online, searching for whatever. And BOOM, I'll see something I want. I'll take a look at my bank account (which is usually in the $1-$25 range because I buy so much stuff...), and if I've got the money I'll buy it. Basically, I do a LOT of impulse buying.

After that, I'll look at the $2.27 left in my bank account and say "What can I buy for $2.27"? And then bang my head against a wall when I see something really nice that I want for $15, lol.

But to make things worse, I always want the best of things. I'm not content with an MPEG, a GBB that's not TM or WA, an m4 accessory (RIS, stock, body, etc...) that's not G&P or KA. Hell, I won't even bring myself to buy an EOTech replica, it's gotta at LEAST be a Bushnell holosight, if not an actual EOTech. And for gear...I'm not quite at that point. I'll buy Pantac, but won't go near UTG or Condor or any of that stuff. Unfortunately, I have realized that I don't have the money for all my gear to be Eagle, TAG, or HSGI (you know, the high quality "real" stuff). But if I did have the money, I'd buy an Eagle CIRAS, and slap myself for spending $500 on a CIRAS when I've got a $200 Phantom CIRAS that's almost as good.

Perfect example: I just got a TM 1911 with a metal slide, but I'm pretty sure the slide is just a WE. So every time I go to wgcshop, or uncompany, or redwolf, I instantly look for a new metal slide...and say "Oh, well, I might as well just get the PGC metal slide AND frame kit". And I can't buy some cheap holster, I HAVE to have a Safariland. So there goes another $125 or so...

So pretty much I buy on quick decisive impulses with a taste for the expensive stuff. Doesn't bode too well for a 17 year old that makes only $75 a week....But hey, I've got cool stuff! :D

EDIT: I read my own post, and realized this: I'm really, really materialistic. ;)

I'm a very frugal person.

In terms of weapons, I buy Tokyo Marui-made models and then spend hundreds to customize them with aftermarket parts to suit my needs. This is true of both my G3SG/1 and new GLOCK 17. I never buy more than what I need, and I try my best to make everything as authentic as possible in terms of looks. In that respect, I'm almost a purist.

In terms of clothing and gear, I buy what I need and nothing more. I currently own only one loadout - one detailed to suit my needs in the redwood forest where I play. Unless I expand to another type of venue, I see no need in purchase more clothing/gear to build a new loadout. I improve upon what I have, and the end result is rather impressive. Again, I'm almost a purist in terms of looks and feel.

Personally, I highly favor the role of a high-tech mercenary. I like the freedom of being able to customize my own weapons and gear without constrains exercised by existing loadouts.

Archived