TV adverts

Stealthbomber

Just noticed this so I thought I'd share it...

A lot of people these days have either wide-screen TVs of one kind or another. Possibly even a majority of people.

Most of these TVs have a "full screen" mode which fits a 16:9 movie perfectly but, for a 4:3 TV picture makes the picture look squashed-up.

Because of this, most of these TVs also have various "pan & scan" modes which zoom a 4:3 picture so it fits on a 16:9 screen.

You knew that, right?

I'd just finished watching a movie earlier and I had the TV set to widescreen mode. I flipped it over to watch The Simpsons on channel 4 and I was just about to swap the picture mode to suit a normal TV picture when an advert came on.

It was an advert for shampoo and I realised there was a tiny disclaimer in the bottom corner of the screen saying that the shampoo couldn't guarantee the shown results.

Then an advert for a Nintendo DS came on and there was a disclaimer in the same place saying the images shown were simulated screen shots.

Hmmm.... <_<

I quickly flipped the TV to the normal pan & scan mode and the disclaimer vanished. Back to widescreen mode and the disclaimer was back.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but it seems a strange coincidence that ALL the adverts I've watched in the last hour seem to "accidentally" put any disclaimers in a screen position when it's out of shot when you watch on a widescreen TV zoomed to fit a 4:3 picture.

Just thought I'd share that. :unsure:

My widescreen telly by default scales so the entire transmitted picture fits on screen. Thus you can see the disclaimers all the time but it can be funny with the channel logos appearing and occasional subtitles in movies transmitted in widescreen.

Weird, I just wish they could fix that thing where the ads are at a much higher volume than the TV show. Why does it do that?

Its the advertising companies Im afraid.

A while back there was some kind of fuss kicked up about it as it was claimed it was an invasive policy as the advertising companies were doing it deliberately.

The newer TVs have a feature that compensates for it though.

On the topic of adverts. Has anyone seen that herbal essence one set in the ocean with talking fish? Anyone else noticed what a munter that model is in the advert? I mean im not stunner but *fruitcage* me, if they're gonna sell it atleast use an attractive being. (no offence if you're that model ;) )

Bk on topic: They're was a maskara advert where in the small print, it was mentioned that model had eyelash inplants to excentuate the effect of the makeup.

Basicaly from the editing software we used at uni you can see an output screen which will show you the work youve done, with 2 transparant boxes, one for each ratio and the outer box of the window, the small window shows you what people with different tvs/aspect ratios will see, so you know where you can put action shots etc, this screen also tells you if the colours etc are "broadcast legal" but this only covers the colours, the editiors can put the disclaimers on the screen wherever they want, even if this includes being on the outside box so not visible to everyone. Not sure if alcohol adverts are covered by this.

Well thats my input. Whether theres another reason for it i dont know, thats just the most logical one i can think up right now ^_^

Archived