Hop-up opinions required

Stealthbomber

Just after any opinions and points of view that you guys have.

Much as I think I've got my L96 hop-up working pretty well now, I'm still not happy with the APS2 system in general. It's just kinda clunky and sloppy.

I'm currently thinking about making up a hop-up housing of my own design.

Which is where you guys come in.

I'm thinking of 2 ways this can go, basically.

1) Something that makes use of AEG barrels and hop-up sleeve.

2) Something that makes use of VSR10 barrels and hop-up sleeve.

Bear in mind, I am NOT talking about whether or not I should use the VSR hop-up bucking or adjuster so don't let that sway your decision.

The plan, at the moment, is to build something that accepts either an AEG barrel or a VSR barrel. The hop adjuster and bucking will probably end up being of my own design.

Here's my own thoughts, so far...

VSR parts are quality when it comes to bolties. I assume (and yes, I deliberately use that word) that a high quality VSR barrel and sleeve will be better than equivalent AEG parts.

I also prefer the way the cylinder nozzle fits into a VSR style hop-up sleeve. I'm never convinced AEG sleeves seal with the nozzle properly.

On the other hand, VSR barrels don't come in such a wide variety of lengths and there are a wider variety of hop-sleeves to try.

Using AEG parts is more familiar territory.

So, that's it.

If a replacement L96 (Maruzen) hop-up was available, would you rather it used VSR parts or AEG parts?

Again, don't let the superior VSR hop-up bucking or adjuster sway you. I just need to know what barrels and sleeves you'd rather use and why.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks. :)

If I had the choice I'd go with the VSR hop-up and barrel. I know for a fact that APS style nozzles work very well with VSR style hop-up rubbers.

Also, the dimensions involved probably favours the smaller VSR style hop-up.

If I had the choice I'd go with the VSR hop-up and barrel. I know for a fact that APS style nozzles work very well with VSR style hop-up rubbers.

Darklite, are you implying that I could put a VSR H-hop rubber in my APS2 hop unit, and get the benefit of increased stability??

Darklite, are you implying that I could put a VSR H-hop rubber in my APS2 hop unit, and get the benefit of increased stability??

No idea if that's what he means but you can certainly fit an AEG "H" bucking in the APS2 hop up.

I just filed down the arm and then filed a semicircular groove into it and sat the bucking into it.

how does the 'H' hop compare with the 'V' hop?

this sounds like sometihng i might try if the results are good

Well, in general "H" and "V" hop-ups are generic terms for the same thing. A normal hop-up pokes through into the barrel at the 12 O'clock position whereas a H or V hop-up poke through in 2 seperate places at 11 O'clock and 1 O'clock. Scuse me if I'm telling you how to suck eggs there. :)

On the L96 the H-hop-up arm is made of plastic and can be hard on the hop sleeve.

If you can find a way to fit an AEG "H", "V", or "fishbone" hop-up bucking of any kind then it'll give you the VSR-style hop but, because the bucking is made of rubber rather than plastic, it gives the sleeve a much easier time.

That's the point of fitting the new bucking, rather than to change the type of hop-up applied, if you see what I mean.

Archived