Can a Real Steel AK Top Cover be used for AEGs?

uscmCorps

I currently have a CYMA AK104 with Skeleton Stock. Though it looks nice I was thinking about upgrading the Top Receiver Cover to an all Steel one. I know many of the airsoft aftermarket companies make them (like this one), but I was thinking of placing an order for some real steel parts (gas tubes, hand guards etc) and noticed that they sold top covers too.

So does anyone know if you can take a regular AK Top Cover and install it on an AEG?

This is the part I was thinking of.

If so, does it entail any significant modification to either gun and/or top cover? Or should I just go with a ACM one?

Thanks!

You'll need a smooth top cover btw. not a ribbed one. Most AK-74M/AK-100 series replicas out there come with the wrong (ribbed) type top cover, even though the RS guns use smooth ones.

This is what it should look like:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/high/ak-74nfullright.jpg

This real ak 74 has a ribbed cover, just like my airsoft one.

I thought most of the top covers already were steel. Even Marui has their one made from sheet steel metal. I've seen a CYMA AKM top cover of a local player rust, so that part definately was steel and not aluminum.

Hmmm... it's possible that the one I have on my CYMA is already steel... It just feels so llight. :mellow:

You'll need a smooth top cover btw. not a ribbed one. Most AK-74M/AK-100 series replicas out there come with the wrong (ribbed) type top cover, even though the RS guns use smooth ones.

This is what it should look like:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/bhinton/AK/AK_104_7.62_5.45.jpg

I kinda like the ribbed cover though. It may not be 100% accurate, but it doesn't bug me that much. Here's what my AK104 currently looks like:

ventedak10401smallki9.jpg

ventedak10402smallfp9.jpg

ventedak10403smalltb9.jpg

kobra01smallna8.jpg

Aside from the top cover, the only thing I had left was to re-blue the bolt. Now that I may end up keeping the top cover as-is, I guess that's one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the info everyone! :)

Edit:

Does anyone know how strong the side mount plates are on the CYMAs? Is it strong enough to hold the sight on there, or should I dummy cord the sight to the gun (just in case).

The side mount plates are pretty damn solid. No worries there.

Does the bolt cover on your CYMA stick? Mine sticks when the bolt is pulled all the way back, and when the bolt is forward, the spring isn't long enough to keep the cover pushed forward, so it retracts slightly when shot. Minor annoyances, but if you've found a way to fix those, I'd love to hear about it!

Does the bolt cover on your CYMA stick? Mine sticks when the bolt is pulled all the way back, and when the bolt is forward, the spring isn't long enough to keep the cover pushed forward, so it retracts slightly when shot. Minor annoyances, but if you've found a way to fix those, I'd love to hear about it!

The bolt cover issue wasn't noticeable until I disassembled the the bolt system to remove the paint from it for bluing. Upon trying to reassemble it, the spring was obviously not strong enough to keep the bolt solidly in the most forward position (a problem not evident until reassembly). The fix was pretty simple though. Disassemble the bolt so that you can remove the spring. Carefully elongate (stretch) the spring so that it ends up being longer than before. When you reassemble the bolt assembly with the elongated spring, you should find that it works correctly now. The only problem I had when doing this, was after I disassembled it and wanted to reassemble it, I forgot the exact order and placement of the various parts. Fortunately, a friend of mine has the exact same gun and he sent me the necessary pics I needed to see what went where.

Edit, Here are the pics my buddy sent me. You just need to take not of how the spring and small square silver plate are situated, in relation to the bolt and metal rod:

ak104001vm8.jpgak104002ca5.jpg

Archived