Airsoft Glock 17 GAP?

BlackHawkHarlequin

Firstly some background info...

Basically the .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) round offers the same knockdown power as the .45 ACP yet at the same time it is smaller round for use in more compact/standard frames.

The Glock pistol chambered in.45 GAP is the Glock 37, more on this later...

So basically I was wondering whether you could take a KWA Glock 17 and convert it to fire 8mm bb's.

Things that would need to be done...

New inner barrel (8mm).

Machined outer barrel to accomodate said 8mm inner.

8mm specific hop-up mech (Possibly from 8mm FN Five-Seven? I'm not really sure about this aspect).

8mm specific nozzle (again not sure on this aspect).

Rework the mag into a single stack mag capable of taking 8mm bb's.

Not sure what else, so feel free to make suggestions.

The real steel Glock 37 .45 GAP uses the frame from a Glock 17, so that would be alright, the slide is a bevelled affair so a bit of searching may be required.

So do you guys think this idea is feasible? Obviously its an airsoft gun so knock down power isn't an issue also I'm not out to hurt anyone, I'd just like a pistol to be reckoned with down darkened tunnels :D

It would be a daunting project, and I'm not sure just how feasible or skirmishable the end result would be... but I have very little machining ability.

The thing about the real steal GAP that is so attractive is that it maintains the typical high glock capacity in the smaller package, where if you single-stacked a mag, you'd lose a ton of capacity, far under the actual pistol.

If Single stacking a standard KSC/KWA mag is ever possible, which I have a hard time believing it is.

Most (maby even all) glocks can take 10 round mags. So long as you can fit 10 8mms in it then its not that unrealistic.

[calculation time]

23bbs in a 17 mag

23bbs take up 73mm

73mm in single stack = 9 8mm BBs

[/calculation time]

9 rounds... you could shave the BB folower a touch to get another bb in.... maby...

However i recon the main concern is that sideways the feed on a 6mm mag is about 9mm wide (for double stacked bbs) but more importantly forward to back it is 6mm. This means that you may have to cut a semi circle trench 3mm deap into the mag that may just cut into the gas area. Meaning a lot of work to get it sealed up strongly.

Too add to your parts change list you would need new feed lips.

I won't be able to attempt this till after new year and until I've got a new pistol.

Thanks for the calculations ED-SkaR, 9 rounds sounds plenty enough.

Just had a look at the KSC Glock 17 manual, in it there is a diagram showing a dissassembled mag, it seems that the gas reservoir only takes up a fraction of the length of the mag so that would make resizing the feed just that little bit easier...

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I won't be able to attempt this till after new year and until I've got a new pistol.

Thanks for the calculations ED-SkaR, 9 rounds sounds plenty enough.

Just had a look at the KSC Glock 17 manual, in it there is a diagram showing a dissassembled mag, it seems that the gas reservoir only takes up a fraction of the length of the mag so that would make resizing the feed just that little bit easier...

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The gas resovoir uses the intire lenght and breth of the mag. There is only a thin "strip" that runs down the front where the BBs go that isn't gas.

seeing as you are using single stack, you could use the hole down the front (the track for the BB follower, and where you see the BBs) to give you a little extra space for the larger BBs. So long as you are carefull with your measurements, you would make the line of BBs go allmost as far forwards as the front of the mag, but not so they are hanging out.

You'd be much better off devoting the countless hours you would spend on this project towards something else.

I mean really, you are talking about custom-machining alot of your internal parts.

This will be expensive and time-consuming. 8mm BBs aren't cheap. Neither is aluminum (soft milling/lathing metal).

You would have to find a machine shop (even if you found existing parts, they will need modification).

And putting all the pieces together will take forever. You would need to put it together with very minimal tolerances (or your compression will be terrible).

If you screw up the hopup, accuracy will be terrible..

Really, just wait for it to come out and devote that time to something else more productive.

Thats my $0.06

This would be a labour of love, if you could do it it would be fantastic though. But youre going to have to really want it.

Good luck with it, i hope you do it, i would love to see the end result.

edit: I wonder, you might be able to save a bit of money if you started with the 8mm fiveseven and then got the internals to fit in a frame slide and outer barrel of a glcok(which you can buy seperately). It would still be a lot of work but perhaps it would be less than modifying the internals.

Im not sure how feasable that would be but its worth checking out.

Archived