highspeed gears

Maekl

I am buying highspeed gears for my highspeed project, and I dont know which gears should I buy. : D

My choises are:

Prometheus highspeed gear set

Systema all helical gear set highspeed ratio

Systema spur gear set highspeed ratio

HurricanE super gear set highspeed ratio

Guarder steel highspeed ratio gear set

Prometheus or RiotSC gears if you want the best quality

Guarder from the set I've installed seem like a happy medium between quality and price, Element are similar in the cheap and cheerful approach but QC is worse.

Systema and Hurricane are overpriced for the quality/build materials.

Hmm I will buy either guarder or prommy. Riotsc gears are way too expensive to me... You can almost get 2 guarders in price of 1 prommy so I will probably go for the guarder. But they are not reinforced type, so I doubt will they handle something like 10,8V 4600mAh battery with m100 spring? I have 8mm ball bearings, g&p m120 highspeed motor and a mosfet already installed. I have 2 TM swiss cheesed pistons and 1 g&p white and I know how to adjust the right AOE.

I doubt an M100 could push the piston home fast enough...what FPS are you aiming for? The gears will handle the revs fine, its the rate of fire generated that the piston will end up getting munched with.

If you are adjusting AoE then you will lose some FPS, this can be regained by using a bigger spring, spring guide and cylinder. To give a practical example I have a high speed M4 that does 30rps at 350fps using a systema turbo, prommy high speed gears, and Promethues high speed gears with the last tooth taken off the sector gear. I use a G+P polyacetal piston as it has the last three teeth before piston release made from metal, so I don't have to mod the last metal tooth on TM style pistons one step rearwards. Short stroking releases the piston earlier to get it moving ahead of the sector gear coming round. You can short stroke by up to two teeth off the sector gear due to the G+Ps design.

Anyway, I have a 363mm barrel and had my AoE adjusted by having someone make me a custom spacer to wedge up behind the cylinder head, which makes the starting position of the piston much more towards the rear, correcting AoE but reducing the overall air volume of the cylinder, lowering FPS. As a premptive measure to this I installed a cylinder meant for AK length barrels (455mm cylinder) and found that I still had a 20 fps loss. Adding a bearing spring guide brought the FPS right back up (preloading).

As long as you shim and grease everything right then the only thing that should die in your set up will be the piston.

Archived