TM Hi Capa 5.1 vs 4.3

adudeinblue

I've been looking online for specific details of TM Hi Capa 5.1 vs TM Hi Capa 4.3. Most of the reviews I have read are about the gun itself and not in particular to both of them; comparison.

I was wondering if anyone can compare the two pistols? Or a link.

All I really know the difference between them is that the 5.1 has a bigger mag than a 4.3.

I'm planning to go buy my first pistol soon and was hoping everyone can give me their experience with their guns and their suggestions. Thanks in advance.

The big differences between the 5.1 and 4.3 is barrel length, site style, frame style, and upgrade options.

The 5.1 has a longer barrel (112.5mm vs 94.5mm) so it is going to give you a bit more power and have a bit more accuracy potential. The 5.1 has a fully adjustable Bomar rear site while the 4.3 has a fixed Novak. The 5.1 has a short frame where the 4.3 has a full length dust over (mainly just looks different). While 5.1 and 4.3 upgrades are mostly compatible the difference in site design means that the 5.1 has more options (like for slides).

My personal preference is for the 5.1 but a 4.3 will do almost everything the same. I'd say pic the gun you like the look of most.

Also, it is good to note that the mags are interchangeable so you can buy 31rd 5.1 mags and use them in your 4.3 (which comes with a 28rd mag).

If you have more specific questions just shoot.

Edit: Also, check out the links in my Sig for more information.

Have you looked at this gun?

http://www.trinityairsoft.com/p-805-kwa-m1...irsoft-gun.aspx

I used to have an upgraded TM hi-capa 5.1. It was good, but the power and gas usage was not quite what I was looking for.

Since this is your first pistol I assume you've never worked on a gas gun before? The TM guns come with plastic slides stock, and metal ones get pricy fast. The KWA is full metal minus the outer barrel.

I have one and it really rips, the cycle rate it VERY impressive. It is faster than my old 5.1 with highflow valves and 150% recoil springs. And that gun shot FAST. This thing is unbelievable.

Romulus, that is a really well written guide. It's going to be a good read. Thank you! Awesome quick comparison as well. It looks like the Hi Capas are really upgradable to what you want, but it looks pricey. Do you think you would suggest TM Hi Capa 5.1/4.3 if I was looking for a good out of the box pistol for now. I like the idea of personalizing it later, but the plastic slider is concerning me.

Mr.Hyde, I didn't think or even consider the 1911 pistol. This is indeed a good pistol to consider. I heard of a 2011 version as well. Is it any good as the 1911?

Are TM the only brand that makes Hi Capas? I know a lot of different brands makes 1911.

You can use the 5.1 mags in the 4.3 and visa-versa. The rear site on the 5.1 is more adjustable but the ones on the 4.3 seem more robust. I'd say in general the 4.3 feels more robust and better balanced, odd thing about the 5.1, despite being a fair bit bigger it doesn't weigh much more which I find mildly concerning. As for things like barrel length, with airsoft guns it doesn't make a huge difference, particularly not that small a difference. I have a 4.3 and it's an awesome gun, bigger than you might think as well, the 5.1 is pretty big gun you have to remember being longer, deeper and wider than a 1911. I also preffer the look of the 4.3 but that's fairly subjective.

Romulus, that is a really well written guide. It's going to be a good read. Thank you! Awesome quick comparison as well. It looks like the Hi Capas are really upgradable to what you want, but it looks pricey. Do you think you would suggest TM Hi Capa 5.1/4.3 if I was looking for a good out of the box pistol for now. I like the idea of personalizing it later, but the plastic slider is concerning me.

Mr.Hyde, I didn't think or even consider the 1911 pistol. This is indeed a good pistol to consider. I heard of a 2011 version as well. Is it any good as the 1911?

Are TM the only brand that makes Hi Capas? I know a lot of different brands makes 1911.

I would definitely suggest a TM Hi-Capa. They are my favorite airsoft pistol bar none. Both models should run fine on green stock. The only possible issue that I have heard of with the 5.1 is that after a lot of use the rear site can crack/blow out (I haven't observed this myself but have heard a rumor of it). I have never really heard of a reasonable GG failure with a 4.3 though and both guns will give you a lot of rounds before anything should happen. Plus, with all the upgrades around you can usually pick up another plastic slide for ~$10 if the one that you have wears out.

TM guns are very good for what you are talking about since they work great stock with green so you can take your time in your upgrading.

Since this is your first pistol I assume you've never worked on a gas gun before? The TM guns come with plastic slides stock, and metal ones get pricy fast. The KWA is full metal minus the outer barrel.

You certainly can get expensive slides but I wanted to point out that cheap Guarder slides start at like $55. The other big plus about the Hi-Capa in the Full metal department is that the frame is already metal meaning that it is like the cheapest high end gun to upgrade to full metal.

The KWA looks exactly like a TM 4.3.

Where can you get a guarder slide for $55? I bought mine from AEX for around $75 iirc. And installing a metal slide is not the easiest task for a person new to GBBs.

Personally, I think KWA is a better gun for the price. The only thing I like about the TM is the hop up unit, the KWA one is pretty picky. But range is the same, my TM 1911A1 with a PDI 6.01 tightbore is a little more accurate, but not by a lot. I plan on buying a madbull G17 6.03 tightbore for my KWA which should get it on par with a TM.

Power is much better, mines sitting at 330 FPS, and cool down in 40 degree F weather does not appear until after I fired 8 magazines worth of ammo on 3-4 fills.

This video really sold me on it since I could use my upgraded TM 5.1 all winter.

That impressed me, I don't know about you though. I popped the top on mine and the internals of the slide remind me a LOT of the TM desert eagle I used to own for a long time.

The grip and plastic parts on the gun are much higher quality then the shiny rubbish ABS TM uses. The slide has no wobble on the frame, at all. The magazine wobbles only a little bit in the gun, less then the TM does. Plus the KWA has an adjustable hairpin trigger, which can make the trigger pull lighter then the TM hicapa.

I respect that the TM hicapas have a TON of parts out, but I honestly do not like a gun that I have to upgrade right out of the box to make me like it. The KWA is an instant pleaser out of the box and honestly, I don't WANT to upgrade anything on this gun other then the barrel and maybe bucking.

I really did like my old TM, but if you liked the TM, I am willing to bet you'd love the KWA. Rom I am interested to see what you think of it, if you see one at a game I urge you to try it out ^_^.

• 4 weeks later...

The 4.3 could also hold the same amount of bb's, all you have to do is use the 5.1 mags with it.

Where can you get a guarder slide for $55? I bought mine from AEX for around $75 iirc. And installing a metal slide is not the easiest task for a person new to GBBs.

Poweredgeusa.com. Its not $55 but its close

http://poweredgeusa.com/product.asp?ID=3832

Despite the fact that the 5 has a slightly longer barrel, out of the box performance on these two is the same.

Range, accuracy & power are indistinguishable.

However, the 4 feels kind of crisper. The blow back is harder, & the cycle rate is faster.

The 4 is more compact & the mag is slightly shorter. The 4 & 5 mags are different capacities but interchangeable.

The 4 has a fixed rail where as the 5 has a bolt on rail, giving the option to 'rail' or not.

The 4's compact nature, sleeker design (combat type sights, left hand side only safety etc.) & crisper action make it a better choice for skirmishing. However, this may prove restrictive if you intend pimping it up.

If you want to max out your weapon, for target shooting, the 5 is a better platform, offering more options.

Greg.

Archived