British M58 web and uniform history

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What can I say, there's not much else to do when you're laid up with a sinus infection :D

But I must admit, a big thanks has to go to a certain member over on ARRSE (Press_It), as he wrote the original guide I've adapted into that version ;)

yeah i could mod it but i cant be bothered lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys rover is coming along great. Im trying to find pictures of 1970's and 1980's British reconnaissance regiments. I just wanted to find out if they used the land rover as a recce platform. Super bonus points if any one has any history on the 9th/12th lancers during that time. Thanks Guys

short answer to recon regiments is sometimes depending on the reigon they are going into many para-recce lightweights were used by pathfinders in the paras although some did make there way into the hands of recon sections of other regiments.

http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/R...ief_history.pdf thats a brief history of the 9th/12th although why the hell you would wanna do them is beyond me lol

i'll stick with 17th/21st "death or glory boys" or 2 RTR. my landy was set up for 2RTR but it turns out she was royal marine SF so she got marked up as such.

also on a side note alot of recon sections used to work in something like 3 para-recces, 3 ferret armoured cars, 1 FFR land rover plus whatever other attachments they would need of course there are variations upon a theme i have read of some recon sections espiecally for armoured regiments been made up of ferrets till the introduction of the CVRT's and a CVRW's. CVRT's been combat vehicle reconnaissance tracked these vehicles are the scorpion, scimitar, sabre, spartan, striker, samson etc where as the CVRW's which stands for combat vehicle reconnaissance wheeled these were the few vehicles that came in to replace the ferret which were the Fox and vixen (although vixen never really made it past prototype stage) but foxes and ferrets were used togeather as some ferrets didnt leave service till the mid 80's.

if you wanna know anything more drop me a PM

I have a friend who was in the 9/12. He just left as a Major. It was his Scimitar that hit the mine in Kosovo. I just cut and past this from the history you sent. The Trooper that was killed was my friends driver. My friend was also hurt but the driver was the only fatality. Thank you so much for the history I guess the rover would not really be very likely to be seen with the 9/12th I guess I will pick a different regiment. Thanks again so much for the History!

Once in Hohne, C Squadron deployed on a tour of Kosovo. The tour would be marked with

a number of incidents and the death of Trooper Adam Slater killed in action when his vehi-

cle hit a mine

i dont mind save me typing out from a book lol

try an infantry regiment they would have used some lightweights but also dont forget if they hadnt used the lightweight for combat roles alot of older vehicles would have been used in wargames as opfor vehicles as they would have been different from the current issue vehicles

• 2 months later...
I wore '58 webbing whilst serving in the regs in 1987 - 1989. But then When i joined the TA in 1993 we were issued with PLCE webbing. I hope this helps a little

PLCE is know as 80 pattern as it was "issued" in 1980.....but it didnt get in to proper service till 1990 some regiments in desert storm wore 58 pattern but there was some PLCE out there and now its the standard.

i just had my 58 custom set back i have some pics but they are on my missus laptop :S

Archived