Need help with gun decision

Stuey

Hello!

I'm going to get the opportunity to get a new gun soon, and I've had a long hard think about what I want. I've decided that after using an AK Spets, I want a proper long rifle, and a Chinese clone one at that - to keep cost down.

So the choice is:

AGM M16A3

or

JG G3 SG1

I honestly can't decide - I like Armalites, and even though the AGM has awful 'trades' it's a small price to pay if it's a reliable accurate gun. And it's full-metal too and midcaps are easily available, which is good because I hate hicaps.

But I also like G3s and the JG one, despite being plastic, apparently performs superbly, being accurate with a high rate of fire even with the stock battery. However, G3 midcaps are not as easy to come by and TM standard are expensive.

So does anyone have ideas, know anything that could swing it either way? Anyone got either of these weapons?

Thanks,

Stu.

I am the previous owner of a jg g3sg1 and the gun performed amazingly with only a few minor hicups being

-of cource the all plastic feel

-then I found the range to be not as efficient for the gun length but a promethues had he shooting like no other

-also the battery size area was weird at least for me so I got like one 10.8 so I wouldn't have to replace the battery all the time

Another vote for the JG G3SG1. Like Shadow said, you will want a tightbore for it, also you need to be aware that it comes at 400+ fps stock, so you will need to put a weaker spring in there to make it viable on UK sites. If you don't fancy the plastic nature of the gun, JG do a G3 with full metal RAS system for about the same price. Has the same internals but is mostly metal.

OK thanks guys I at least know that the JG G3 is a good gun..but I read somewhere that it shoots good out of the box? And the lack of midcaps is a major thing for me...

Right so I know that the G3 is fine - anyone got experience with an AGM M16?

Stu.

Yeah, though I believe that was with their older guns. How about this then - has anyone had any problems with an AGM M16? They must be out there, Airsoft World are sold out of them! Wiring I'm not bothered about as I'm good at electronics and I should be able to handle a simple spring downgrade...but are there any serious issues with the gearbox or build quality?

Stu.

... even though the AGM has awful 'trades' it's a small price to pay if it's a reliable accurate gun.

*Giggles*

Most of these guns will require small (or maybe large, depending on how unlucky you are!) fixes to even work properly.

If I had to pick, though, I would go with the JG. Better quality over the AGM for sure, and a slightly more reliable gearbox, so I've heard.

'Gratz on picking a G3 btw.

Ben.

EDIT:: Just saw your last post.

First thing I'd do is change both the HOP rubber and inner barrel.

Throw away the battery and charger that comes with it, obviously.

Then deal with the model-specific issues that the gun you pick may or may not have. (For example, most batches of AGM M14's come wired backwards! Stuff like that ;) )

Yeah I know about Chinese batteries and general QC, maybe I should have added "with some adjustment" to that quote!

And I had a feeling the barrel and hop-up would be an issue. You know, my mates JG G36 hasn't needed any tweaking and the battery it came with has been acceptable, though we have been charging it with a proper charger.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the G3...always liked that gun. The lack of midcaps is almost a deal-breaker unfortunately. The King Arms ones seem to be out of stock everywhere!

You like G3s?

You know, after all this hassle, I may just say s*d it and buy a JG G36! It'll work out of the box and generally be brilliant. But I do want an M16 or a G3.

Stu.

EDIT: turns out Airsoft Armoury have King Arms G3 midcaps, so that's settled then. I'll go for the G3 SG1! Thanks for the help guys!

I do hope it's not too inaccurate like the guys earlier were making out...

Maybe the barrel's dirty (as it often is in ACM guns) and a good clean with improve matters. Next job, where to find a G3 metal body...

Classic Army do the metal body, you can get them readily from an HK retailer. I've got a JG G3 RAS, it is one of two ACM guns i own. The other being a CYMA M14, it is a fantastic gun performance wise, but if you don't like plasticyness then i'd defo get a metal body for it.

I take it you were referring to the G3 when you said fantastic performance ('coz the CYMA M14 is too I hear...)? If you were that's good to hear!

Actually, the CA body is surprisingly hard to find - RedWolf and WGC are out of stock and EHobby Asia don't carry it. Any other suggestions? I could get it from Fire Support but it's £90.

Also, is a metal cocking tube a good idea? Is is already metal on the JG? I heard it makes the front end much stiffer, what's the deal there?

Stu.

A friend of mine let me use his AGM M4 for a game. I was surprised, he haven't touched it and it worked great out of the box. Completely usable range FPS and accuracy.

But, if you are thinking about just getting a G36C, I would tell you to go buy the SRC gen 2 or if you can find it gen 3.

They are only a little more and much better externally and internally then the JG guns. Plus, you have the option of buying a G36C, K, or E. It sounds to me like you want a longer rifle, so I'd recommend the K or E just for that. Personally, I would buy the K just to make the gun easier to handle.

Cheers guys, yeah I have an AK Spets and now I want a proper 'long rifle', so if I got a G36 it would be the E.

Yes, I heard that the SRC is excellent, do you know what the optics on it are like? Most other G36 optics are not very good...

And is there a difference between the TSD and SRC G36s? I read somewhere that they're the same gun.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the AGM though! I seem to have aquired some more funds (:D), so I'm probably not going to get an ACM gun now, as I might just be able to afford a nice G&P M16. Although I have to say, at the moment a CA HK33E is my first choice. Always liked that gun.

Stu.

I take it you were referring to the G3 when you said fantastic performance ('coz the CYMA M14 is too I hear...)? If you were that's good to hear!

Actually, the CA body is surprisingly hard to find - RedWolf and WGC are out of stock and EHobby Asia don't carry it. Any other suggestions? I could get it from Fire Support but it's £90.

Also, is a metal cocking tube a good idea? Is is already metal on the JG? I heard it makes the front end much stiffer, what's the deal there?

Stu.

Firstly, the JG cocking tube is plastic exactly the same as the TM and yes it does make the front end stiffer, basically the cocking tube runs the length of the barrel and the barrel is attached to the cocking tube. there's also a kit form PDI which basically shoves a metal rod down the cocking tube to make it stiffer aswell (only really matters if you have a plastic one really).

Tbh WGC says its waiting or something (has gone down hill tbh most stuff you want is out of stock or something), Redwolf i dunno, but tbh Fire Support has them here (clicky) expensive i suppose, but you don't have to wait as long to get it as you would if you bought it at redwolf or wgc

tbh if you after a full metal G3 then just fork out the money for a Classic Army G3 cause put simply the amount of money in having to buy the JG G3SG1 and then having to buy the CA metal body and cocking tube would add up to about the similar amount of money and not to mention effort in installing the kit. I have to mention the blooming awful trades they have cause they are nothing short of awful altho can be fixed with some paint tho

Yeah...I would but as far as I know there is no JG full metal M16 or G3, so it's back to square one with that...

I would buy a CA G3, but Fire-Support is out of stock..if they get it in, I'll buy it. Anyone know of any problems with the CA G3 SG1? I think CA call it the SAR Taktik II or something.

Anything wrong with a CA HK33E? All the reviews I've read say they're great.

Stu.

EDIT: Okay, reading some reviews has revealed that the CA G3 SG1 is brilliant, apart from awful accuracy when stock, seemingly caused by a rubbish hop-up an maybe the barrel too.

Does anyone know if a TM G3 hop-up unit would fit? I know the TM G3 hop-up is very good.

Yes it would

tbh i don't actually think the actual hop-unit it self would be to fault, probably just a crappy hop rubber and/or nub. Just change the hop rubber and give it a H-hop nub and your cooking on gas

tbh if you really want to over do it give it a 6.01 tightbore barrel aswell

don't for get to feed it some slightly heavier BBs :)

EDIT: if you need some more persuasion have a look at the G3 Picture Thread (click me) theres also some really handy info in there aswell (if you can be asked to read all those pages xD)

OK guys, I've done some more Googling, and I have my final 3 choices! They are:

AGM M16A3

JG G3 SG1

JG SIG 550

I need info on the 550, I really like it and it's JG so I think it's likely to work. The few reviews that are out there say that the gun is solid and durable and has a good trigger response, but is not that accurate for a gun of its size and the included hicap is rubbish.

You know, sometimes I hate airsoft. There are so many different experiences with guns - some people in this thread said the JG G3 isn't amazingly accurate, yet most reviews say it is! Someone (Labyrinth?) said that most Chinese guns will need fettling, yet someone else said that the AGM gun they used was fine out of the box. ARGH.

So yeah. I will be getting one of the 3 guns mentioned above, but I honestly don't know which.

What are your thoughts?

Stu.

Archived