How to Stay Cool in the Summer Heat?

Laxplayer19x93

The new TRUSPEC Gen 2 shirts look cool, once again though they are only going to be made in regular length so i am SOL. I guess regular Underarmour is highspeed enough

I was lucky enough to get the gen. 2 for my shirts; I'll be in trouble if my OD and tan ones show up as gen 1.

If it helps, my actual measurements are 44" chest, 36" waist, 16" neck--I wear a 17.5/37 "slim fit" shirt, usually with the waist taken in. The TRU Large (gen 2) does fit my gorilla-like arms, so you might be OK.

You mean me? Why yes I am. What else? Honestly I just don't think it would be smart to wear something that given half a chance would melt onto my skin. No matter whether I'm welding at the time or not. :P

But the bit where I was talking about the TRU was more to do with the fact that people - more likely to be exposed to fire and what not than myself - may have bought them and not realised. It wasn't mentioned in the blurb, only the video. It just struck me as a bit bizarre, there must be a reason they couldn't use the same fabric.

Question about the UBACS still stands though. :)

That's a good point; why would they bother making the "no melt" base layer if the sleeves don't share the same properties? My Universal Camo TRU combat shirt has 50/50 nylon/cotton sleeves, and the black one's sleeves are 65% polyester. I'm guessing the polyester is the culprit when it comes to meltiness.

Back on the topic; Doctor Airsoft says electrolytes are kinda overhyped (anybody see Idiocracy?) and most people get far more salt in their diet than they need no matter how much they sweat. Use good old H20 and prehydrate--get in the habit of keeping water handy and sipping it all the time, especially a day or two prior to a planned exertion. If you exercise, consider doing your biking or jogging outdoors instead of in a climate-controlled gym so your body can acclimatize.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Axl There is a FR (Fire Retardent) version of the UBACS, however, like any synthetic get it to the right temperature it will melt and drip eventually, the idea behind the FR is 'Flash' fire from inside a vehicle fire and petrol bomb type devices, there is a lot of flame but relatively low temperatures. So my guess would be that it wouldn't be suitable for welding.

Greenham, Arco, RS all do safety kit and IIRC they do welding clothing with breathable liners, if you were to get in touch with them I've found them very good at sourcing the appropriate kit at a reasonable price.

Haha, I'm not actually going to be welding in it! It was merely a sarcastic response to Kojak's question: "Are you going to be welding in it?," which was taking the ###### out of me for being so anal about the TRU's fire retardant properties...

But thanks Dope, the first part of your post answered my question. And the second cheered up my day. :D

On a more relevant topic, the weather is getting cooler over here in Blighty. So I'll probably settle for a camelback for the uncharacteristically hot days we occasionally get. If the worst comes to the worst I can run a belt kit instead of my weesatch. I think that and some good old common sense should sort me out.

I mean blouse length for the TRUSPEC Combat shirt. Being 6ft4 makes otherwise easy shopping hard!

The Gen 1 i tried out and the other types of blouses they make are short lol.

furthermore, i enjoy my climate controlled gym conditions lol

I mean blouse length for the TRUSPEC Combat shirt. Being 6ft4 makes otherwise easy shopping hard!

The Gen 1 i tried out and the other types of blouses they make are short lol.

furthermore, i enjoy my climate controlled gym conditions lol

The body is too short to tuck in? Just cut some more off and make a tactical halter top.

That's odd though; I'm only 6'1", but there's plenty of body length to it; so much that it would look really dumb if it wasn't tucked in. Maybe they made the gen 2 longer in the torso as well as the sleeves.

Anyway, I'm off to the nice cool gym. Hope no one passes out this weekend--everyone start pre-hydrating!

I live in Southern California so it does get up to 100 out here in some places we play. What I found is I tend to go in PMC attire during the summer and play a lot of night games. Here is a link to a game we had a few weeks ago and it was 100 out that day. You will see me at the actual 2:00 min mark running to the APC. Dont forget to click the HD.

OH MAH GAWD, that is such a good video! :D

(I made it)

Everyone loves wicking tops but try to avoid black ones. or black kit in summer.... Black has a low albedo. This means it absorbs more insolation than it reflects, in turn warming up said item, which includes you. With its wicking properties, you can get very hot and sweaty, and not know it... resulting in faster heat stroke.

Archived